Powell minutes

AU Marsh

How do you think Powell will fit in when he comes back?  Flanigan seems to have so much more grit and hustle in him than Powell.  Does Powell's scoring abilities justify taking minutes from Flanigan?  

BP wouldnt take Flanigan out. It would actually help flan out and open the lane for him more with Powell in. Probably see Jaylin sub for flan more. But I dont see Powell getting a lot of minutes right off the bat anyway. 

Powell is the most consistent long range shooter, with an effective mid range game. I'd also argue, the 2nd best passer now that Coop is back. More likely to see Coop, Flan, Powell, and JJ rotating with the possibility of 3 of them being on the court during certain situations (foul trouble). The thought of relying on them to hit FTs to close a game out really looks promising when/if Powell returns.

When he gets to looking ideal, conditioning wise, I think him and Cambridge will be the first two off the bench. Jamal had a rough night, but he's a better defender, and he allows for both Powell to come in fresh (and match up his minutes with whoever's the backup PG for the opposing team) and Sharife to not HAVE to stagger his minutes to run with the back up unit, as much. 

Using Devin Booker for example, more creative talent than either Harrison brother, but it made more team sense for him to come off the bench. 

Powell is a natural 2. Hasn't Jamal Johnson been starting at the 2 so far?

6 hours ago, AU Marsh said:

Does Powell's scoring abilities justify taking minutes from Flanigan?  

@AU Marsh Nope. Flan will just stay at the three which is his more natural position anyway and the minutes will be taken from Cambridge.

this is assuming Powell heals well and that’s nowhere near a given at this point.

6 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

BP wouldnt take Flanigan out. It would actually help flan out and open the lane for him more with Powell in. Probably see Jaylin sub for flan more. But I dont see Powell getting a lot of minutes right off the bat anyway. 

Plus Flannigan is easily our best defender. Minutes are not going to be taken from him.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Plus Flannigan is easily our best defender. Minutes are not going to be taken from him.

And i think that Cambridge and JJ will lose some minutes w/ Powell being our 2 guard, our 2nd best ball dribbler, and backup PG. 

But when its crunch time it will be Cooper, Powell and Flanigan in there for their shooting, good D, and FT shooting. 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Any word on if he has been able to practice without having headache problems?

@gravejdNot sure but at this point he has to have three straight days without problems before he can get out of concussion protocol. He has not yet.

Is this fast becoming one of those good problems to have scenarios? If/when Powell returns of course.....

31 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Im honestly more worried about Flanigan leaving than any other player on our team. When Powell comes back, with SC at point, I think his game is going to blowup. 

I don’t believe Flanagan is projected on any mock drafts yet for this class. I would not worry about him yet.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@gravejdNot sure but at this point he has to have three straight days without problems before he can get out of concussion protocol. He has not yet.

Yeah understood....was hoping to hear he was able to get through at least one practice by now. 

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yeah understood....was hoping to hear he was able to get through at least one practice by now. 

Not sure we are going to get that kind of detail until he has cleared.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure we are going to get that kind of detail until he has cleared.

Pearl is pretty open with info....just need a reporter to ask him!! lol

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don’t believe Flanagan is projected on any mock drafts yet for this class. I would not worry about him yet.

I've seen him be evaluated right outside of the lottery. If he had some high scoring games against the right team he could be in the right position

Powell is a key long term piece but with the players we currently have and how well they are playing once Powell is cleared I don't initially expect him to start and I think his playing time will be limited to be sure he is completely healthy. This year is for experimenting, getting team chemistry right, improving on defense, and analyzing players and how all the pieces will work best together. The future is next year assuming key pieces return.

I am not saying that Pearl won't try to win every game, he wants to win it is part of his makeup and one of the reasons I think he is a great coach but he knows we won't be playing post season plus he loves his players and wouldn't risk the health of a player for a single win.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I've seen him be evaluated right outside of the lottery.

@cole256 I thought that was for the 2022 draft? That's what someone posted the other day.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I didn't see anybody else. I saw it on my site and it's what I use mostly. I'll use a few others to double check but they are pretty accurate. I don't think it's been updated since the beginning of the season though. But if he was that high I'd doubt he's played himself completely out of the first

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Well, damn. I don’t think many saw that coming.

One guy was telling people!

Archived