AU Draft stock thread

toddc

Sharife Cooper projected as first-round pick in 2021 mock drafts

ByNATHAN KING 3 hours ago 

Bruce Pearl's recent Auburn squads are experiencing the bittersweet turnover that comes with being one of the more consistently successful teams in the sport. The Tigers have reached a healthy stage in their program, routinely bringing in talented recruiting classes and developing a few of those prospects into NBA players.

Often, a coaching staff is able to foresee and project when a player will turn pro, based on his development over the years (or in just one year) with the program. Sometimes, however, a player simply performs at a higher level than expected, gets hot during the season, draws attention from NBA scouts, and sees his draft stock skyrocket. It's happened with Auburn twice in as many seasons, with a sophomore Chuma Okeke playing his way into the first round in 2019, and Isaac Okoro lifting his stock all the way to a top-5 pick in the draft after a standout freshman season.

Is Auburn going to see a highly rated recruit parlay a successful season into an earlier-than-expected NBA draft entrance for a third consecutive year? It could certainly be argued that Sharife Cooper, after just three games played, looks the part of Pearl's next pro prospect.

"We did not anticipate Isaac (Okoro) being one-and-done," Pearl said last week. "Isaac didn’t anticipate it. He came in, he worked so hard, he got put in the right positions. ... We really weren’t even prepared for that. With Sharife or any player, we’ll sit down at the end of the season and see what they tell us. Isaac really wanted to come back and play with Sharife this year, he really did. And when we looked at where he was going to be and talked to NBA clubs, and said, ‘Dude, that’s not an option. You’re not coming back. You can take classes all summer and you can hang out here, but you’re not playing for the Auburn Tigers next year.’ 

"We just make that decision. Our job is to get those guys ready, and when they’re ready they need to go and start taking care of their families."

Since being cleared by the NCAA last Saturday, the freshman has dazzled as a passing and scoring threat at point guard. Cooper, who signed with Auburn as the program's highest-rated recruit ever, has put the college basketball world on notice, with an average of 21.7 points and 9.7 assists per game in three outings.

Cooper has drastically altered the complexion of Auburn's offense for the better, masterfully facilitating and finding wide-open teammates with court vision and passing skills well beyond his years as a freshman.

"Sharife's a self-made player; he's also a really intelligent player," Pearl said. "He's also able to see the floor in dimensions that we can't see it. He sees it horizontally, he sees it vertically. It's like The Matrix, you know? Those great players, you know, have that feel. But he watches more tape than anybody, you know? He studies the game. He studies the game at the next level. ... We've been recruiting Sharife since he was a freshman in high school to basically, you know, take this program over."

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a first round was certainly expected. It was also expected he wouldn't want a lower first round pick. I can't see where the projection is in OP, but I'd have to think anything lower than 10, he's not really considering 

I am sad but happy for this.  Sad cuz I really wanted him around another year, but happy that we may have another 1 and done.  That is great for the program but SUX to lose that kind of talent.

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think a first round was certainly expected. It was also expected he wouldn't want a lower first round pick. I can't see where the projection is in OP, but I'd have to think anything lower than 10, he's not really considering 

I certainly hope that's the case. He's the one player on the team that we can ill afford to lose on next year's squad if we're going to have a legitimate shot of running the table in the tournament. I mean, I'm sure Bruce could find a JUCO kid to come in and bridge between Coop and Scoot, but that would be SO disappointing with the build up to next season already underway for us, since we know we aren't tourney bound this year.

And, honestly, I can't see him being ready at the end of this season unless his defense shoots WAY up. I could see him making the leap offensively, especially since he's a such a distributor, but I don't think he'd be ready to step in and take over serious minutes in the NBA without development defensively. And he can get that while playing for Bruce and getting a shot at the dance. But there again, that may well be all my wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I certainly hope that's the case. He's the one player on the team that we can ill afford to lose on next year's squad if we're going to have a legitimate shot of running the table in the tournament. I mean, I'm sure Bruce could find a JUCO kid to come in and bridge between Coop and Scoot, but that would be SO disappointing with the build up to next season already underway for us, since we know we aren't tourney bound this year.

And, honestly, I can't see him being ready at the end of this season unless his defense shoots WAY up. I could see him making the leap offensively, especially since he's a such a distributor, but I don't think he'd be ready to step in and take over serious minutes in the NBA without development defensively. And he can get that while playing for Bruce and getting a shot at the dance. But there again, that may well be all my wishful thinking.

No matter what he's always going to be a liability on defense, that won't stop him from getting drafted, his having a consistent jump shot is the biggest variable on his draft stock

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn't think he could be a one and done. I said it was crazy to think he could, I had only saw his high school highlights and I knew he wasn't a lights out shooter and he's have to have a kyrie Irving type of command on an offense to get consideration......but with this light PG draft class and the way we look like a completely different team that showcase his value even more..........now I don't know

If he is projected out of the lottery I think he comes back. Unlike Okoro who there were only downsides for him to come back Coop can improve his stock a LOT just by becoming a 35% three point shooter. That is what will keep him in the low first round of mock drafts. When you are that small you need to be a lights out three point shooter to warrant a high draft pick. Okoro had no other option BUT to go pro last year. His stock would of never been as high as it was last draft and it was a historically weak draft. He could of improved a ton this season and still been not taken in the top 10 for the 2021 draft because it is a LOT stronger.

It is a mixed bag. Some Mock drafts he has been in the bottom half of the first round. Others have him in the bottom of the lottery. Some do not have him in the first at all. If he develops even just a somewhat consistent and reliable three point shot I can see him improving his draft stock A TON for the 2022 draft and going top 5 to top 10.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 draft stock for all AU players

Since we have multiple guys whose draft stock is on the rise I changed the title of this thread for us to talk about all Auburn players.

• ellitor changed the title to AU Draft stock thread
5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't think he could be a one and done. I said it was crazy to think he could, I had only saw his high school highlights and I knew he wasn't a lights out shooter and he's have to have a kyrie Irving type of command on an offense to get consideration......but with this light PG draft class and the way we look like a completely different team that showcase his value even more..........now I don't know

I think a first round grade was expected, but I also don’t think I expected him to be a one and done. His passing and driving creativity is close to that level where someone would take that late flyer on, although I think his actual finishing has some space to improve 

Not to project or lie on the man’s name, but he always seemed like someone that would scoff at fringe lottery or high 20s. That’s how I view it. It’s not really even a negative, but I think he looks at his peers, his self-perceived value, and he’s gonna wanna leave when the scouts think he’s THE man versus A man 

9 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

If Isaac had stayed....Imagine the fun this team could be to watch....

Yeah but it would be bittersweet. No post-season means he would be playing for nothing other than trying to not get hurt. 

I'm surprised to see Flanigan ranked so high.....he is having a great season but did not realize it was getting him into potential first round discussions. Congrats to him though because all we've heard this season is how hard Flanigan worked to get to this point. Its great when hard work pays off and it looks to be paying off for this young man. 

NO surprise here on Sharife, you can just watch him and tell he is on another level. If he was 2-3 inches taller he would be considered aa top five pick after just 3 games in college. My Dad texted me during the uga game that Sharife is the best PG he has ever seen. Some exaggeration there i'm sure but that is high praise from a man who has been a basketball junkie since the 50s. You just can't teach what Sharife can do......it takes endless hours of playing the game to develop the skills he has. 

I hope we get everyone back and go into next season considered one of the top 5 teams in the country. But if some go and get drafted in the first round that is only a good thing for AU. Jabari Parker specifically said that it was seeing how Okoro and Okeke came in and developed into 1st rounders is why he choose AU. We won't find another Sharife but i can guarantee you every grad transfer PG in the country is going to be fighting to come in and lead the team next season if Sharife does leave. 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is a mixed bag. Some Mock drafts he has been in the bottom half of the first round. Others have him in the bottom of the lottery. Some do not have him in the first at all. If he develops even just a somewhat consistent and reliable three point shot I can see him improving his draft stock A TON for the 2022 draft and going top 5 to top 10.

This. 

There are always reporters and sports media that are going to be so far aligned in their draft picks. Just bc one or two pubs say Cooper will project high draft pick, doesn't mean much to me. I'd have to look at their history in those projections.

Unless Cooper as the season goes along, improves at such a high rate in his jump shot and 3 pt shooting, and his defense, then he can go in the draft but i will never believe he is a lottery pick for 2021. And when I see Flanigan projected 1st round too, then I know some of these projections are bogus. 

I go along with this analogy and expect him to need 2 years to get a chance at that lottery pick status.

Nbadraft is legit. It's accurate. They update it accordingly but I've been following drafts a while now. I got started when a friend was a prospect and sort of always kept up with it. Then one of my best friends became a lawyer and moved to LA and he's into the agent business a bit and he would ask me a bunch of questions because he knew I always followed stuff.

So then I started learning even more because you don't want to let your friends and family down or whatnot.

But anyway I cross check stuff but nbadraft is my main site and it's been that way for years now so I feel confident in vouching for them

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nbadraft is legit. It's accurate. They update it accordingly but I've been following drafts a while now. I got started when a friend was a prospect and sort of always kept up with it. Then one of my best friends became a lawyer and moved to LA and he's into the agent business a bit and he would ask me a bunch of questions because he knew I always followed stuff.

So then I started learning even more because you don't want to let your friends and family down or whatnot.

But anyway I cross check stuff but nbadraft is my main site and it's been that way for years now so I feel confident in vouching for them

I understand. I wrote what I said 'HOPING' that my words will keep Cooper here 1 more year to allow this gifted team a chance to make some noise in the NCAAs next year. :)

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I understand. I wrote what I said 'HOPING' that my words will keep Cooper here 1 more year to allow this gifted team a chance to make some noise in the NCAAs next year. :)

I'm with you and I'm right there with you. I didn't know if you would care one way or the other but I was just letting you know that, that one site was pretty legit. I know a bunch of them are not accurate

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If he is projected out of the lottery I think he comes back. Unlike Okoro who there were only downsides for him to come back Coop can improve his stock a LOT just by becoming a 35% three point shooter. That is what will keep him in the low first round of mock drafts. When you are that small you need to be a lights out three point shooter to warrant a high draft pick. Okoro had no other option BUT to go pro last year. His stock would of never been as high as it was last draft and it was a historically weak draft. He could of improved a ton this season and still been not taken in the top 10 for the 2021 draft because it is a LOT stronger.

Yeah, his three has to improve because he’s not driving in the lane as easily in the league. FWIW, which is a ton, CBP said he’s got a three shot but hasn’t gotten it going yet.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm surprised to see Flanigan ranked so high.....he is having a great season but did not realize it was getting him into potential first round discussions. Congrats to him though because all we've heard this season is how hard Flanigan worked to get to this point. Its great when hard work pays off and it looks to be paying off for this young man. 

Last year he looked off balance and tentative most of the time, but he’s gotten stronger, more confident, and more balanced. His ability to get a good shot up while being bumped around inside really caught my eye.

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

NO surprise here on Sharife, you can just watch him and tell he is on another level. If he was 2-3 inches taller he would be considered aa top five pick after just 3 games in college. My Dad texted me during the uga game that Sharife is the best PG he has ever seen. Some exaggeration there i'm sure but that is high praise from a man who has been a basketball junkie since the 50s. You just can't teach what Sharife can do......it takes endless hours of playing the game to develop the skills he has. 

I hope we get everyone back and go into next season considered one of the top 5 teams in the country. But if some go and get drafted in the first round that is only a good thing for AU. Jabari Parker specifically said that it was seeing how Okoro and Okeke came in and developed into 1st rounders is why he choose AU. We won't find another Sharife but i can guarantee you every grad transfer PG in the country is going to be fighting to come in and lead the team next season if Sharife does leave. 

Of all the many mock drafts out there I have only seen nba draft. Net have him as a first rounder. They have him 17th currently. The rest do not have him in the first.

Man bruce is a freaking bball God!!!! He has jabari parker retroactively telling people he went to Auburn instead of duke now!!!! 🤣😂. (P.s. yes I knew who and what you meant just messing around muhhhhhh dude!!!! Woooo let's goooo)

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Of all the many mock drafts out there I have only seen nba draft. Net have him as a first rounder. They have him 17th currently. The rest do not have him in the first.

Man bruce is a freaking bball God!!!! He has jabari parker retroactively telling people he went to Auburn instead of duke now!!!! 🤣😂. (P.s. yes I knew who and what you meant just messing around muhhhhhh dude!!!! Woooo let's goooo)

Oh man glad you called me out on messing up Jabari's name. It is Smith not Parker. Jabari Smith is coming to AU next season and will dominate the bball world. Going to have to be careful with that one. Once i get name wrong in my head it is really hard to get it straight!

Nbadraft was also the first site I saw have okoro as high as he was

And they had chuma ranked in the first before the NCAA tournament and before everybody started to hurry up and get him high up in that draft

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Cooper could be so much better with another year. But you can’t pass up first round money. It’s a good place to be in. 

First round money is not lottery money and all indications are that his family is not hard up for money

Archived