AU Draft stock thread

toddc

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

His go to favorite move from last season is back... Run in to the waiting arms of a defender for a charge. Sighhhhhh.... 😭😭😭😭

Or try to dribble closer to the ground than he can reach

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at this rate I dunno if Flan would be drafted. Like the caliber of guards that have been bodying him on both ends, they pretty much stay that level going forward. His better shot creation and 3 (while maintaining about the same level of D as last season) was why the stock rose that highly, if those look horrid for ~2 months, as it appears they could, he would probably find himself around the 60th-75th range as far as prospects go IMO (and that might be best case scenario). 

Cooper is just horrible on defense, and his ability to get past his defender 1 on 1 has seemingly decreased significantly. More than just guys stepping back a bit and not trying to play for his shot, but he literally hasn't been able to get past guys as well. IDK what his stock will ultimately be but it just wouldn't shock me if analysts had a huge range of projections for the guy. 

First, I don't watch the NBA. Haven't ever, it simply doesn't interest me. That having been admitted, the only player we have that appears ready to move up and help a team at a higher level is Thor. The rest of them need another year or two, their games are far, far from complete. Look at Okeke and Okoru, how they compared to the competition. Nobody on our present team is doing what those two did. Thor does show some potential and 6' 10" always attracts attention.

SC is a great talent and I'm sure glad he picked Auburn but he is being schooled by some of these experienced senior guards in the SEC. Shariffe is super quick and sees the court so well. But some of his weak passes, poor decisions, and unforced turnovers have cost us dearly, especially near the end of games.  I guess we expect that of our other young players but we  are spoiled by some of Cooper's incredible plays. But he is still a freshman which I sometimes forget. Now that our competition knows his game he doesn't seem to be quite as dynamic. I still wouldn't trade him for any other point guard. NBA money is very tempting but in the long run I think it would be to his advantage and whichever pro team gets his services, if he plays at least one more year and shows how he can lead a team deep in tournaments if not a championship.

19 hours ago, autan said:

SC is a great talent and I'm sure glad he picked Auburn but he is being schooled by some of these experienced senior guards in the SEC. Shariffe is super quick and sees the court so well. But some of his weak passes, poor decisions, and unforced turnovers have cost us dearly, especially near the end of games.  I guess we expect that of our other young players but we  are spoiled by some of Cooper's incredible plays. But he is still a freshman which I sometimes forget. Now that our competition knows his game he doesn't seem to be quite as dynamic. I still wouldn't trade him for any other point guard. NBA money is very tempting but in the long run I think it would be to his advantage and whichever pro team gets his services, if he plays at least one more year and shows how he can lead a team deep in tournaments if not a championship.

I started to just give you a like but decided to tell you I couldn't agree more.  I realize the NBA drafts on a combination of potential and production but with Coopers size I don't think his potential is enough to make him a 1st round choice and his production has dropped some as teams have adjusted to him and the NBA scouts are seeing the same thing we are seeing. I think he could become the best PG to ever play at Auburn, but I watched Harper whose vision was not as good as Cooper but whose all round game was better. Harper could shoot outside inside and in between while still setting up other players, like Cooper he has a defensive limitation because of his size but is much stronger then Cooper and is a better defender. Now Harper had a couple of advantages over Cooper in that he had a deadeye SG in Brown and Okoro even though Cooper has Thor who may end up being better than Okoro but at this time Thor's game is not as complete as Okoro's was when he played with Harper.

To me Harper developed his game from year to year to the point of making an NBA team after watching last few games I do believe Cooper needs more time to be NBA ready. Next year with Alexander arriving a hopefully healthy Powell to provide the sharpshooter at SG and Smith plus a year of strength and conditioning and he could have the type year that would move him into 1st round of the draft. With his size and shot he will never be a top 5 pick.

No one on this current roster outside of Cooper (and IMO that's iffy with his lack of athleticism, defense and shooting ability) is going to play in the NBA, and though Cooper is great in college, I don't think his skills will translate.  He's simply not a great athlete but is a wonderful wonderful passer of the basketball.  He cannot shoot and may never be able to.  There is NO WAY I would draft him in the NBA Lottery.  No chance.

And I'm tired of being called a troll.  This team is not very good, and IMO this has not been one of Bruce's best coaching jobs, either, this season.  I don't think he'd tell you that it has been either.

32 minutes ago, REALTORTiger said:

No one on this current roster outside of Cooper (and IMO that's iffy with his lack of athleticism, defense and shooting ability) is going to play in the NBA, and though Cooper is great in college, I don't think his skills will translate.  He's simply not a great athlete but is a wonderful wonderful passer of the basketball.  He cannot shoot and may never be able to.  There is NO WAY I would draft him in the NBA Lottery.  No chance.

And I'm tired of being called a troll.  This team is not very good, and IMO this has not been one of Bruce's best coaching jobs, either, this season.  I don't think he'd tell you that it has been either.

Nobody on the roster will play in the nba other than Coop? Your going to make that statement and then complain about being called a troll? I could see 5 plus guys on this roster in the nba down the road. We are the youngest team in college basketball. So yeah this is the weakest AU team in probably 4-5 years I’d say. No worries though. I bet your opinion of the guys on the team will change a lot come next season. Folks better get their shots in quick. We won’t be down long. 

43 minutes ago, REALTORTiger said:

You say pretty ridiculous stuff and then you don't offer any logic to it. That's why you get called troll, it can't be personal

1 hour ago, REALTORTiger said:

Can the mods just remove this clown's ability to post in the basketball forum?

Well it has always been a thing on here for as long as I can remember, that people feel like a kid has to average a double double or 25 points or something like that to get drafted. Okoro was the first draft person where mostly everybody agreed he was getting drafted. 

People let their emotions get involved. I remember when chumacame out I was having to argue about him getting drafted. And on top of that people felt Brown was a NBA player. Literally arguing chuma wouldnt get drafted and Brown would. You have to put your mind into that of a person running a team, not a person watching a basketball game. 

Some things doesn't even make sense. A person doesn't need to play another season to improve on defense. And a GM isn't going to care about a guy getting a charge or he didn't have a perfect form on his free throws. They are going to care that they can create their own shot or they can guard three positions. Most the stuff that we complain about a GM couldn't care less.

There are a lot of things that go into a GM's draft choice it is not always the best player but sometimes the best player to fit his teams need. A team has a boatload of scorers but no facilitator then Cooper might be the fit for that GM, a team already has a very good PG and a decent backup PG might not even look at Cooper.  A team that needs a scorer who can create his own scoring opportunities won't look at Cooper. A player like Lebron is coming out of college it is a no brainer every GM wants him. Every GM wants a generational type talent but after that it is tough.  I am still in the camp that Cooper needs another year but I am also in the camp that he puts his hat in to have the NBA evaluate him and tell him where they think he belongs.  My opinion means nothing he needs to talk with some NBA types and get their opinion then decide what to do. 

He should also talk with Coach Pearl who has always told players who he thinks are ready to go the NBA route. Pearl has shown he has the players best interest at heart when it comes to the NBA.

I was just able to watch kuminga play. Jalen green too but especially kuminga......if we had him I'm thinking championship. Well I guess we wouldn't be eligible so that would be even worse so I guess it's cool he didn't come here because he would definitely be one and done

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I was just able to watch kuminga play. Jalen green too but especially kuminga......if we had him I'm thinking championship. Well I guess we wouldn't be eligible so that would be even worse so I guess it's cool he didn't come here because he would definitely be one and done

Kuminga looked great.  Very explosive.  

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

But would we have self imposed a ban with a team that was a legitimate threat for Championship?? That's the real question lol.  Agree on Kuminga though.  He looked league ready with his offense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Before the the LSU game, the broadcasters were discussing that ESPN had S.C. at the #9 draft spot!

Im shocked. Is that really where he is rated? I see the pluses and minuses of his game like most of the rest of us. Is that at all realistic?

If true, would the #9 pick be good enough to leave for?

39 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Before the the LSU game, the broadcasters were discussing that ESPN had S.C. at the #9 draft spot!

Im shocked. Is that really where he is rated? I see the pluses and minuses of his game like most of the rest of us. Is that at all realistic?

Would be for me. That’s really high and risk v reward to come back wouldn’t be there IMO. 

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

@AUGooThat ranking is out of date now & most other Mocks don't have him going that high. As for what would get him to leave, word is it would have to be a lottery grad.

Any team that picks Cooper 9th needs their head examined.  He's not nearly the athlete that someone like Rajon Rondo was and he's the closest comp as far as a cannot shoot a lick, but great passer.

His passing is plenty good enough for the NBA, but his athleticism and shooting are barely elite HS level.  This is the truth.  He's not athletic at all.  And he is a horrible shooter (not even passable) except at the FT line.

That's not true at all. He's not the best shooter but he's not a hopeless case either. And if you want to play comparisons you can look at Jason Kidd who wasn't an amazing athlete and he couldn't shoot but he got himself to a very respectable 3 point shooter. 

3 hours ago, REALTORTiger said:

Any team that picks Cooper 9th needs their head examined.  He's not nearly the athlete that someone like Rajon Rondo was and he's the closest comp as far as a cannot shoot a lick, but great passer.

His passing is plenty good enough for the NBA, but his athleticism and shooting are barely elite HS level.  This is the truth.  He's not athletic at all.  And he is a horrible shooter (not even passable) except at the FT line.

I struggle with the "He's not athletic at all" part.  You don't do what he does and not be athletic.  I think he is incredibly talented and gifted, but has some basic skills he needs to improve on.

Not talented at all implies he should be playing second flute in the marching band.

Not sure how tall he is (SC), but the two guys mentioned above are 6’4”.   I’m not saying a small guy can’t make because there are plenty that do, but most of them were really good shooters and scorers. 

Well of course you're going to have more tall than short so you're going to have a smaller sample size. But height has nothing to do with shooting. You can get better was the point. 

Iverson was a good scorer but wasn't the best shooter. 

And somebody like Ricky Rubio can't shoot a lick and he's 6'3" but he doesn't play big in no way shape or form. 

Terry rozier improved a bunch as well.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, cole256 said:

I remember about this time last year, there was a small group of people that had the opinion he’d be about as good as Emoni if the two were to be in the same class, and I thought that was insane with how the latter was perceived at that time 

the forward talent in these drafts is just insane. A new KD or a more skilled version of Thon Maker (and that is their floor) every cycle 

I posted on it a couple weeks ago, but Cooper had an above avg shooting form in HS. That....guy.... on this page is posting like Cooper’s shot form is completely unsalvageable lol 

His biggest issue was being thrown into the fire and left to his own decision making on how to get his shot off against taller, elite defenders. With the resources he has, he’ll get a shooting coach to work that out this offseason (IMO) 

Archived