Jump to content
Null

AU Draft stock thread


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I remember about this time last year, there was a small group of people that had the opinion he’d be about as good as Emoni if the two were to be in the same class, and I thought that was insane with how the latter was perceived at that time 

the forward talent in these drafts is just insane. A new KD or a more skilled version of Thon Maker (and that is their floor) every cycle 

It really comes from IMO actually letting kids play and handle the ball even when they are tall as opposed to automatically forcing them to the post

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His parents are from Liberia and did not realize the connotation. The kid has a great take on it. From an article a few years back: In the end he decided to do nothing. Let the other David Duke c

FWIW someone connected to the program says on Sharife he only leaves this year if he gets a lottery grade. Says a lottery grade as of now is not expected & thus he plans on coming back. Also says

I struggle with the "He's not athletic at all" part.  You don't do what he does and not be athletic.  I think he is incredibly talented and gifted, but has some basic skills he needs to improve on.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It really comes from IMO actually letting kids play and handle the ball even when they are tall as opposed to automatically forcing them to the post

My personal story on that subject, my homie during varsity was 6’5, probably about 270s ish. So our coach, who actually hooped overseas a lil, wanted to run him in 4 out sets and let him work on the block. BUT he hated the post. He loved bringing it up the court and shooting 

and positionally, he was good at it! Ended up being a lot better after he graduated and slimmed down. Achilles heel, he’d get out rebounded like 5’8 kids bc he had no drive to bang around the rim 

I say that to say, coaches gotta have a balance with tall kids these days 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My personal story on that subject, my homie during varsity was 6’5, probably about 270s ish. So our coach, who actually hooped overseas a lil, wanted to run him in 4 out sets and let him work on the block. BUT he hated the post. He loved bringing it up the court and shooting 

and positionally, he was good at it! Ended up being a lot better after he graduated and slimmed down. Achilles heel, he’d get out rebounded like 5’8 kids bc he had no drive to bang around the rim 

I say that to say, coaches gotta have a balance with tall kids these days 

I agree. Having a big man that can bring it up the court can be killer....you have to be able to rebound though. But that's what Bruce would try with Bowers when he played. That can produce a bunch more easy transition points. 

And you have to let guys try everything. How much of a waste would it be if people would've made Durant be a back to the basket post player?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How much of a waste would it be if people would've made Durant be a back to the basket post player?

I’m going off topic now so I’ll chill, but this is why I hate inside the NBA so much. These old heads give THIS type of analysis to any player above 6’7 and flash their stats or rings as a backbone for why you should listen to it 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Flanagan has dropped to the point he will be back next year also. If Flanagan and Cooper are back I believe with addition of Alexander and Smith we will have one to many scholarship players so somebody will have to move on. That is also assuming Powell is able to recover and play again. If we have Powell, Alexander, and Cooper back next year would we still be looking for a backup PG or do you think Powell and Alexander can do enough that we won't need one. I realize if Henderson re-classifies we would find a way to take him but I am asking in case he doesn't re-classify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe Flanagan has dropped to the point he will be back next year also. If Flanagan and Cooper are back I believe with addition of Alexander and Smith we will have one to many scholarship players so somebody will have to move on. That is also assuming Powell is able to recover and play again. If we have Powell, Alexander, and Cooper back next year would we still be looking for a backup PG or do you think Powell and Alexander can do enough that we won't need one. I realize if Henderson re-classifies we would find a way to take him but I am asking in case he doesn't re-classify.

I agree. I think Cooper and Flanigan come back (no way Flanigan is ready for NBA, especially now he is having to play out of position).

And with Cooper, Powell, and Alexander we will have 3 good ball handlers to better play in the half court game...and Flanigan can go back to his 3 spot where he most successful...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe Flanagan has dropped to the point he will be back next year also. If Flanagan and Cooper are back I believe with addition of Alexander and Smith we will have one to many scholarship players so somebody will have to move on. That is also assuming Powell is able to recover and play again. If we have Powell, Alexander, and Cooper back next year would we still be looking for a backup PG or do you think Powell and Alexander can do enough that we won't need one. I realize if Henderson re-classifies we would find a way to take him but I am asking in case he doesn't re-classify.

If we do need an extra spot, I would think Franklin would be first out. He’s one of my personal favorites off the bench, but if he hasn’t found minutes with the dearth of consistent guard/forward play, I don’t know how much of a shot he has 

I’d prefer Akingbola, but I think his locker room intangibles will make him Teflon. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe Flanagan has dropped to the point he will be back next year also. If Flanagan and Cooper are back I believe with addition of Alexander and Smith we will have one to many scholarship players so somebody will have to move on. That is also assuming Powell is able to recover and play again. If we have Powell, Alexander, and Cooper back next year would we still be looking for a backup PG or do you think Powell and Alexander can do enough that we won't need one. I realize if Henderson re-classifies we would find a way to take him but I am asking in case he doesn't re-classify.

Pretty sure Turbo leaving puts us at 13 next year. I could still see Franklin leaving and going after another PG.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Games like this where Flannigan shows he can rebound score and facilitate.....raises his stock for the nba

He was awesome today! Pearl taking the pressure of point guard off of him was brilliant, and Jamal did a surprisingly good job.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If Flanagan and Cooper are back I believe with addition of Alexander and Smith we will have one to many scholarship players so somebody will have to move on.

@AuburnNTexas Not yet. We are at our limit if everyone comes back & we add those 2. If the NCAA gives a 1 or 2 scholly reduction then we will be over.

14 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we have Powell, Alexander, and Cooper back next year would we still be looking for a backup PG or do you think Powell and Alexander can do enough that we won't need one. I realize if Henderson re-classifies we would find a way to take him but I am asking in case he doesn't re-classify.

Not sure what the staff will do but we need one & word is at least 3 departures are expected off the current roster. If we get a 2 scholly penalty then that leaves room for us to add Scoot or another PG should he not reclassify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas Not yet. We are at our limit if everyone comes back & we add those 2. If the NCAA gives a 1 or 2 scholly reduction then we will be over.

Not sure what the staff will do but we need one & word is at least 3 departures are expected off the current roster. If we get a 2 scholly penalty then that leaves room for us to add Scoot or another PG should he not reclassify.

If it were to be 3, I’d think that’d force Chris Moore off, which would make sense positionally 

Dont know any avenue for minutes for him if everything works out next season 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If it were to be 3, I’d think that’d force Chris Moore off, which would make sense positionally 

Dont know any avenue for minutes for him if everything works out next season 

I love Moore’s energy, but he’s at best third on the depth chart at the 3 or the 4 next season. (And I don’t think we are very good with him playing the 3, frankly.) Tough spot for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

I love Moore’s energy, but he’s at best third on the depth chart at the 3 or the 4 next season. (And I don’t think we are very good with him playing the 3, frankly.) Tough spot for him. 

Your conjecture is based on how he has played as a freshman the coaches get to see him after the season and see how he improves an awful lot of players make huge strides between freshman and sophomore season he might or might not be one of them. You may be right but the coaches see things on a day by day bases we don't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Your conjecture is based on how he has played as a freshman the coaches get to see him after the season and see how he improves an awful lot of players make huge strides between freshman and sophomore season he might or might not be one of them. You may be right but the coaches see things on a day by day bases we don't.

Completely agree with all of this, we don’t know how he will develop. But guys often look at the situations ahead of them and make a move. We know he isn’t playing over Jabari at the 4 or Allen at the 3. So you’re banking on him outplaying Jaylin at the 4 (Moore’s best position now), or Cambridge on the wing, or unexpected attrition involving a contributor - just to get any significant playing time next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I love Moore’s energy, but he’s at best third on the depth chart at the 3 or the 4 next season. (And I don’t think we are very good with him playing the 3, frankly.) Tough spot for him. 

Yeah his foot speed is never going to make him a preferable 3 lol. Too small to really be a 5 (and probably less mobile than most small ball 5s too). He’s the purest 4 we have

Link to post
Share on other sites

Franklin might honestly have more roster value than him when you look at things

as far as guys who are physically sound small forward options, Flanagan, Franklin, DC...Powell and Alexander seem undersized for that position to me. 
 

There’s two real centers on this roster, so Jaylin, Thor, Jabari, and Chris Moore are all your 4s. Unless the two Cs create some real offensive value outside of hovering around the rim, Jaylin will prob be your starting 5 again, but will split a ton of mins at 4. That leaves two guys ahead of Moore, and while they will both have a few minutes at the 3 and 5 depending on the situation, they’ll be putting in work at the 4 

I don’t see how Moore get more than like 2.2 minutes. 2 of their 5 potential best players plays HIS position 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we’re a lot more positionally fluid than this. You can play Moore at the 3/4 position with a rim protector behind him or in zone. He’s not a lot different than a young Dunbar. Super high energy, explosive jumper, decent outside shot that will improve with time. I’d say there’s almost no chance he falls out of the rotation next year. Coaches love him. 

The only question I have going into next year (assuming Cooper, etc. return) is whether Williams or Thor step out of the starting five. It’ll really depend on whether JT puts on enough weight to handle guarding 5s and rebounding. 

After that, Williams/Thor (the nonstarter), Johnson (backup swing Guard), Cambridge (can man 2-4), Alexander (TBD but looks like a combo Guard), Cardwell (5), and Moore (3/4) seem like bench group. I expect Powell to soak up the PG minutes when Cooper sits, similar to the way we used Doughty in spots his Junior year. Pearl loves playing a lot of guys. 11 is entirely plausible and probably likely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

B/R's mock had Coop as the 17th rated prospect on their board, and Flan as 49th (I believe, its been a couple hours) 

That pretty much falls in line with where they've been aside from a couple anomalies during Coop's hot streak and Flan's period as the alpha. Once you look to team needs, Allen would likely rise from that spot and Cooper should remain in that same range as one of the first outside of the lottery 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

B/R's mock had Coop as the 17th rated prospect on their board, and Flan as 49th (I believe, its been a couple hours) 

That pretty much falls in line with where they've been aside from a couple anomalies during Coop's hot streak and Flan's period as the alpha. Once you look to team needs, Allen would likely rise from that spot and Cooper should remain in that same range as one of the first outside of the lottery 

That seems about right with 30 NBA teams and 2 rounds that means 60 players in the draft. That would put Cooper out of lottery still 1st round and Flanagan in the lower half of the second round.  So there are a few questions that each player has to answer one if I stay another year will I improve my draft position, two how much would I like to play one more year with this team and see how far we can go in the big dance, and three what am I risking if I get hurt.  I support both players with whatever choice they make. It won't be an easy choice. As an Auburn fan I want both to come back but as person who wants what is best for these young men I want whatever they feel is the right choice.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That seems about right with 30 NBA teams and 2 rounds that means 60 players in the draft. That would put Cooper out of lottery still 1st round and Flanagan in the lower half of the second round.  So there are a few questions that each player has to answer one if I stay another year will I improve my draft position, two how much would I like to play one more year with this team and see how far we can go in the big dance, and three what am I risking if I get hurt.  I support both players with whatever choice they make. It won't be an easy choice. As an Auburn fan I want both to come back but as person who wants what is best for these young men I want whatever they feel is the right choice.  

It is so hard to tell who will go, now with the G league going. Some players like Flanigan, I think will start out in the G league, eventually, and have to work their way onto a team from there.

Cooper, I think definitely needs another year to refine his skills to be SURE he is a first rounder. Just bc they project him as one, doesn't mean he will go first round. His weaknesses are more than his strengths...and another year of competition and work in the off season will  only make him better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

His weaknesses definitely do not outweigh his strengths. He's the best ballhandler and passer in college since Chris Paul. I believe he should come back because he has a chance to launch into mega-money in the top five if he does, but he's a guarantee as a first rounder. His FT % is high, and that's widely known to be a better indicator of 3-point shooting development at the next level than 3-pt shooting % in college. The question mark on him is size (which isn't really changing) and defensive intensity (which could improve a LOT). He should be a much more disruptive defender with his quickness and basketball IQ. 

At this point, I kinda think he's out-of-sight, out-of-mind for some NBA teams so he's going to be a high-teens, low-20s guy. He has said (or its reported that he's said) he wants to be a lottery guy. If that's true, either some team is going to promise to draft him in the lottery or he's coming back. His draft grade is very unlikely to be a lottery lock.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...