Closing Out the 2021 Recruiting Class

Zeek

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I hear Saban and Smart personally take on (primary recruiter)  a few special recruits for each cycle to ensure they get those coveted few.  Any idea if that is true?

@Beaker Pretty sure it was you that asked this same question in the past 2 weeks & the answer is I'm sure he will. Most HCs do that on some guys in every class.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Beaker Pretty sure it was you that asked this same question in the past 2 weeks & the answer is I'm sure he will. Most HCs do that on some guys in every class.

age and memory loss are gaining on me I guess.    Tired of seeing crap how we have been run off from recruiting FL, GA and AL.  

Warning:  I may ask this again as I get nervous in summer.   😃

On 1/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

I would think we will wind up being 2 or 3 short of the max.  I don’t think this staff is going to stretch too far out on a limb for a project.  I think they already have some plans for 2022 and I expect that to be a very good class for us.  
Of course that idea changes if they can fill the max slots this year with guys they really want, which would be one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen CFR if they were able to do it with the big signing day already done, a brand new staff, a very short time to get guys on board, and no in house or on campus recruiting!!!!

I’m thinking they leave a few open for transfers after spring.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

More than a few IMO.  At most it looks like they will add seven from high school or juco but probably closer to five which still leaves 5 to 7 spots left in the class for transfers.

If a recruit signs on next early signing day can he still be counted back to 2021 class assuming we still have some open spots?

53 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe repeating myself, but what makes anyone think that a player who went through spring practice at his old school and couldn't move up the depth chart will help Auburn?

That's who leaves after spring ball, guys buried on the depth chart. We have seen that at AU for years.

2 minutes ago, autan said:

If a recruit signs on next early signing day can he still be counted back to 2021 class assuming we still have some open spots?

Yes, if he's an early enrolee. The max number allowed of such players is 5.

Another thing about those guys entering the portal after spring practice: Unless they are graduates, they will need a waiver to play in the 2021 season. I suppose schools who had disappointing players would be glad to see them depart, but is that who we are looking for?

1 hour ago, autan said:

@autan It's not about when they sign but when they enroll. If we are under 25 for our number of new enrollees in this class then someone enrolling next January can count to this year's 25.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Maybe repeating myself, but what makes anyone think that a player who went through spring practice at his old school and couldn't move up the depth chart will help Auburn?

That's who leaves after spring ball, guys buried on the depth chart. We have seen that at AU for years.

Some but nowhere near all.  Keith Niebuhr tracks this stuff & knows alot more about recruiting & rosters than any of us. He says the best transfers in the Portal era have actually been leaving after Spring. We have had a number of transfers contribute here who left their original team after Spring ball.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Some but nowhere near all.  Keith Niebuhr tracks this stuff & knows alot more about recruiting & rosters than any of us. He says the best transfers in the Portal era have actually been leaving after Spring. We have had a number of transfers contribute here who left their original team after Spring ball.

It’s more about filling needs for this year, and maybe quality backups even from the transfer portal. They don’t all have to be starters to help us out until we can recruit hs kids.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I assume at least sometimes there are kids that SHOULD be playing, but the coaching staff snubs them or doesn't utilize them correctly. We've also seen that at AU for years, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Harsin actually alluded to holding some spots open in his presser implying transfers later in the spring.

26 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

I assume at least sometimes there are kids that SHOULD be playing, but the coaching staff snubs them or doesn't utilize them correctly. We've also seen that at AU for years, unfortunately.

Yes, like Harold Joiner and Peguese just to name a couple.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yes, like Harold Joiner and Peguese just to name a couple.

Roc Thomas

MAR

Craig-Myers

Etc...

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Roc Thomas

MAR

Craig-Myers

Etc...

yeah....that has been frustrating and people want to say" none of them have done anything when they left!" Thats because they haven't been taught anything at AU that their high school coach hadn't taught them. There has been some serious talent wasted under the Gus regime

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

We have had a number of transfers contribute here who left their original team after Spring ball.

I can recall a few grad transfers the left after their regular season who helped us. Refresh my memory. I can't think of a single one who left their old team after spring practice, came to AU and helped. There may be some, but I don't know who they were.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I can recall a few grad transfers the left after their regular season who helped us. Refresh my memory. I can't think of a single one who left their old team after spring practice, came to AU and helped. There may be some, but I don't know who they were.

Brandon Council was starting and playing  very well last year prior to his injury. He signed with us in April of last year. Also Blake Countess who transferred from Michigan in May of 2016. Started at AU and is now in the NFL. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Roc Thomas

MAR

Craig-Myers

Etc...

From what I remember being reported neither Roc nor Craig-Myers have been successful at their new landing places, so these two may not be good examples of Gus “owning”  their not working out.

46 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

From what I remember being reported neither Roc nor Craig-Myers have been successful at their new landing places, so these two may not be good examples of Gus “owning”  their not working out.

Roc Thomas had a solid couple of years at Jacksonville State and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Now in the CFL.

44 minutes ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Roc Thomas had a solid couple of years at Jacksonville State and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Now in the CFL.

Solid at Jax State does not equate to "great talent that was messed up by Gus".

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Brandon Council was starting and playing  very well last year prior to his injury. He signed with us in April of last year. Also Blake Countess who transferred from Michigan in May of 2016. Started at AU and is now in the NFL. 

Council, like Driscoll before him, wanted to move up in competition. The point is, there are very few who leave after spring practice and succeed elsewhere at the same level. Does some small school have another Council on their roster? Maybe. Will that guy wait until after spring practice to declare? Unlikely but possible. Most guys want to go through the spring with their new team if they are serious about their football future.

Also, some grad transfers will have to wait until they graduate in May before entering the portal. They may or may not go through spring practice where they are.

And the one thing CBH needs after this recruiting cycle and with jucos or transfers are players that can come in and add depth this fall, especially those critical areas of RB and OL, and maybe a few other positions.

He has to bring in bodies for at least the worst depth at RB. It will do home no good if they come in after Jan 1 2022.

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

What about the long haired cat from the west coast? His name escapes me  played TE and WR.

Archived