Jump to content
Null

A Reckoning in six months...


Recommended Posts

Just now, homersapien said:

It is - relatively speaking - if you characterize vocal opponents of Trump's as being "chickens little". 

Not really, I mean we've heard from the media and many here on the left screaming the "sky is falling."  About every single little thing. 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a gentle reminder to all the Grownups that had to hear all the screeching from those that were so certain that: "Trump is a fascist and is planning a coup and will never leave. He is (more o

How about...it didnt happen because it was never going to happen? You claiming IT MIGHT! Doesnt overwhelm the reality of it didnt come close.  Today it is over and done with. I am afraid t

This is lazy as hell even for you. 

Posted Images

Just now, homersapien said:

Yes, really.   :rolleyes:

And now we will hear how Biden wants socialism for the next 4 years from the right............................

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

And now we will hear how Biden wants socialism for the next 4 years from the right............................

 

 

You mean "communism". ;)

Maybe I'll start a thread sometime in the future making fun of all of the "chicken littles", explaining how that ain't gonna happen.  ;D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, DKW 86 said:

Trump was a bad President, but he did the Economy some real good, even with COVID, and did a few modest good things in foreign policy w/r to the Middle East.


He wont be remembered fondly, and wont be well talked of in the history books. 

He's the only president in modern history to leave office with fewer jobs than when he began his term. The whole thing is a financialized house of cards propped up with massive deficit spending.

As far as the Middle East, you're talking about the arms deal masquerading as a "peace deal" among four nations that are not and were not at war. The rest of his foreign policy was abject disaster. Read the accounts of the reaction and sense of great relief amongst our allies on Biden's inauguration.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, homersapien said:

You mean "communism". ;)

Maybe I'll start a thread sometime in the future making fun of all of the "chicken littles", explaining how that ain't gonna happen.  ;D

Sure, but what will be your defense of Soros? Isn't he the wizard behind the curtain? 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

He's the only president in modern history to leave office with fewer jobs than when he began his term. The whole thing is a financialized house of cards propped up with massive deficit spending.

Covid did have a little bit to do with that.

What were his pre-covid % compared to other President's % after the same time in office?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Covid did have a little bit to do with that.

What were his pre-covid % compared to other President's % after the same time in office?

Trump inherited Obama's economy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2020/02/07/obamas-last-three-years-of-job-growth-all-beat-trumps-best-year/?sh=1193ed916ba6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/05/trump-obama-economy/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

No because you don't measure whether it's reasonable to be concerned about something only on the basis of whether it ended up happening.  If meteorologists at the National Weather Service issue a PDS warning for my area and I live in the zone that has "high" risk for multiple powerful tornadoes, whether or not it was reasonable to be worried, watching weather reports, making sure we have pillow and blankets and such for the place we'll huddle in the house is not determined by whether a tornado actually hits my house or whether in the end we don't see any tornadoes in our area.  

Being fortunate about something that ends up not happening after all is not the same thing as being worried about nothing.

 

 

 

Also, this analogy is not even remotely close. You can't compare scientific predictions made based on validated atmospheric physics modelling with what you think Trump is capable of doing or not doing. 

 

Without any evidence that trump has any real capability, means, brains, etc to pull it off and having the opinion that he doesn't allows me to believe that our founders had enough forethought to have the protections in place to prevent it even if he tried. He tried, democracy prevailed, just as I thought it would. It is more than just being fortunate for the reason he was unsuccessful. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Also, this analogy is not even remotely close. You can't compare scientific predictions made based on validated atmospheric physics modelling with what you think Trump is capable of doing or not doing. 

 

Without any evidence that trump has any real capability, means, brains, etc to pull it off and having the opinion that he doesn't allows me to believe that our founders had enough forethought to have the protections in place to prevent it even if he tried. He tried, democracy prevailed, just as I thought it would. It is more than just being fortunate for the reason he was unsuccessful. 

It may not be science but I can look at history and what people who have studied how authoritarians have behaved in the past tell us - what sorts of things they did in the years and months leading up to their takeovers or attempted takeovers.  The undermining of the press and other institutions. I can see the parallels and the warning signs, the near cult-like devotion from a sizable portion of his followers, and the resurgence of white nationalists who fervently believed he was in their corner and reasonably conclude that it is something worth being concerned about.  

And the reasonableness of that does not change simply because we managed to avoid the worst.

The analogy stands.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

It may not be science but I can look at history and what people who have studied how authoritarians have behaved in the past tell us - what sorts of things they did in the years and months leading up to their takeovers or attempted takeovers.  The undermining of the press and other institutions. I can see the parallels and the warning signs, the near cult-like devotion from a sizable portion of his followers, and the resurgence of white nationalists who fervently believed he was in their corner and reasonably conclude that it is something worth being concerned about.  

And the reasonableness of that does not change simply because we managed to avoid the worst.

The analogy stands.  

I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

No because you don't measure whether it's reasonable to be concerned about something only on the basis of whether it ended up happening.  If meteorologists at the National Weather Service issue a PDS warning for my area and I live in the zone that has "high" risk for multiple powerful tornadoes, whether or not it was reasonable to be worried, watching weather reports, making sure we have pillow and blankets and such for the place we'll huddle in the house is not determined by whether a tornado actually hits my house or whether in the end we don't see any tornadoes in our area.  

Being fortunate about something that ends up not happening after all is not the same thing as being worried about nothing.

When pretty much the entire meme is made-up nonsense about what liberals think. |  STRAWMAN AWARD OF THE DAY; GOES TO YOU! | image tagged in strawman | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

How about...it didnt happen because it was never going to happen?
You claiming IT MIGHT! Doesnt overwhelm the reality of it didnt come close. 

Today it is over and done with.

I am afraid that there are going to be six months of Self-Congratulatory Congressional Medal of Honor Winners for  sitting behind a keyboard and jerking off about things that were never going to happen and calling it "Defending the Constitution...."

IE
pictures eva: eva mendes hot girls "Gratuitous Babe Pic...."

I think Ryan Gosling's wife, Eva Mendez is the shiznitz. 
Now, just because I Believe that she is the Shiznitz, that doesnt mean that:

1) She is THE Shiznitz
2) or, that she is MY Shiznitz.
3) or that someone else may have another OPINION of who is the Shiznitz.

Having the opinion that the "Sky is falling" still doesnt mean that the Sky Was Actually Falling...
It just means some of us were acting like Chicken Little. :lol:

image.jpeg

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

When pretty much the entire meme is made-up nonsense about what liberals think. |  STRAWMAN AWARD OF THE DAY; GOES TO YOU! | image tagged in strawman | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

How about...it didnt happen because it was never going to happen?
You claiming IT MIGHT! Doesnt overwhelm the reality of it didnt come close. 

Today it is over and done with.

I am afraid that there are going to be six months of Self-Congratulatory Congressional Medal of Honor Winners for  sitting behind a keyboard and jerking off about things that were never going to happen and calling it "Defending the Constitution...."

IE
pictures eva: eva mendes hot girls "Gratuitous Babe Pic...."

I think Ryan Gosling's wife, Eva Mendez is the shiznitz. 
Now, just because I Believe that she is the Shiznitz, that doesnt mean that:

1) She is THE Shiznitz
2) or, that she is MY Shiznitz.
3) or that someone else may have another OPINION of who is the Shiznitz.

Having the opinion that the "Sky is falling" still doesnt mean that the Sky Was Actually Falling...
It just means some of us were acting like Chicken Little.

image.jpeg

Well, I agree that she is the Shiznitz. My wife agrees as well. LMAO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think we have to admit something here.  Only five people died because we were damn lucky.  The officer that escorted Kamala Harris yesterday was one who allowed a large mob of the capitol stormers to follow him and led them away from the Senate chamber.  They were literally feet away from the door to the Senate and timestamps indicate that at the moment he was doing that, it was about a minute later that the Senate chamber was reported as sealed and the Senators evacuated.  Had he not been as brave or as quick thinking to lead them down the opposite direction in that hallway, getting them to turn left instead of right at the top of the staircase, a violent mob could have had some hostages and God knows what they would have done.

Yes, there are mechanisms in place to make a coup very hard to pull off.  Yes, the Capitol has safety glass and hardened doors that make it difficult to easily barge through from one section to another.  Yes there was an escape plan with underground tunnels available.  And finally, yes, "Y'all Qaeda" wasn't very tactically smart and organized.  But in the end, we were minutes and some very fortuitous happenings away from a much more violent and bloody outcome.  As bad as the siege of the Capitol was, imagine it with someone executing some House or Senate members.  Or executing the Vice President.  Imagine if the idiot from Alabama got in with his homemade napalm and Molotov cocktails.  Imagine if several pipe bombs were set off.  Imagine if someone armed with a firearm induced a panic and a shootout in the crowd?

All of this could have been far worse.  And if you read the series of articles I posted from Axios, you see that Trump was being encouraged to, and attempting to get his people in key positions to try and reverse the results of the election and stay in power.  I'm glad for the mechanisms that are in place and that not everyone in his administration was cooperating.  But what it reveals to me is that Trump wasn't really smart enough to pull something like this off, but the next authoritarian mob boss may be a lot smarter, more subtle, lay a lot more groundwork, and as a result find a lot more success.  

Could have been much worse, but wasn't. There are endless possibilities and scenarios that could have made the situation worse.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AgentOrange said:

Could have been much worse, but wasn't. There are endless possibilities and scenarios that could have made the situation worse.

THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AND WERE NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

image.jpeg

 

  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AgentOrange said:

Could have been much worse, but wasn't. There are endless possibilities and scenarios that could have made the situation worse.

Am I correct in assuming that your point is that our focus should be on those endless possibilities and scenarios- and the fact that only good fortune prevented them- and not merely that it could have been worse?

My main concern is that there was a situation at all. My secondary concern is that it continues to be minimized and dismissed. It's going to happen again and it's going to be worse. In the meantime, I guess a lot of people claiming to be in the middle are going to continue saying "but the libs and the media".

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Am I correct in assuming that your point is that our focus should be on those endless possibilities and scenarios- and the fact that only good fortune prevented them- and not merely that it could have been worse?

My main concern is that there was a situation at all. My secondary concern is that it continues to be minimized and dismissed. It's going to happen again and it's going to be worse. In the meantime, I guess a lot of people claiming to be in the middle are going to continue saying "but the libs and the media".

Jeez I love that I'm in a field where process safety, root cause analysis and the like are carefully weighed and the concept of the "near miss" is a thing. Provides perspective. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 9:16 AM, bigbird said:

Who was saying he would not leave? Who was saying he was setting up a coup? Who was saying he would set up marshall law and have the military help him? Who has been proven wrong?

It wasn't me.

I was personally hoping Trump had 1 more trick up his sleeve to spring on Inauguration day. We are absolutely screwed now as a country. JB has already pissed off Canada in less than 2 days in office with his brilliant shutting down of the pipeline. Gas prices are about to shoot up faster than JB's mental decline. Our Country is now being run by the Insane Klown Posse II: Biden, Harris, Shumer, Pelosi, and AOC. Only God can help us now.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I was personally hoping Trump had 1 more trick up his sleeve to spring on Inauguration day. We are absolutely screwed now as a country. JB has already pissed off Canada in less than 2 days in office with his brilliant shutting down of the pipeline. Gas prices are about to shoot up faster than JB's mental decline. Our Country is now being run by the Insane Klown Posse II: Biden, Harris, Shumer, Pelosi, and AOC. Only God can help us now.

Don’t like it? Move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I was personally hoping Trump had 1 more trick up his sleeve to spring on Inauguration day. We are absolutely screwed now as a country. JB has already pissed off Canada in less than 2 days in office with his brilliant shutting down of the pipeline. Gas prices are about to shoot up faster than JB's mental decline. Our Country is now being run by the Insane Klown Posse II: Biden, Harris, Shumer, Pelosi, and AOC. Only God can help us now.

BelatedDeafeningFishingcat-max-1mb.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Come and move me biggun.

No. I'm going to give you taxpayer funded healthcare and renewable energy. 

I'm also going to set a drum circle up in your yard for additional spite.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Don’t like it? Move. 

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that psycho has said "Love it or leave it before", but might be too batshite to put 2 and 2 together here.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUDub said:

No. I'm going to give you taxpayer funded healthcare and renewable energy. 

I'm also going to set a drum circle up in your yard for additional spite.

You bring the sage, I’ll bring the kombucha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...