Montgomery mayor Steven Reed under fire for tweet about Trump ‘trash’

Auburn85

https://www.al.com/news/2021/01/montgomery-mayor-steven-reed-under-fire-for-tweet-about-trump-trash.html

Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed is drawing criticism for a comment he made during the inauguration of President Joe Biden.

In a series of tweets about the inauguration, Reed posted a video showing President Biden and his wife, Dr. Jill Biden. Above the video he added a comment “I prefer to focus on the class that’s coming in rather than the trash that just went out.” He added the hashtag “InaugurationDay.”

The tweet came just hours after President Trump left the White House without attending the Biden inauguration.

The comment drew comments on social media.

“Prayerful that you can see your error in this statement. I’m happy to see him go too, but let’s rise above and look forward to healing!” one commenter said.

“This tweet is not representative of the class of the good people in your city. We are trying hard to be better and teach our kids to be better than this. Don’t stoop to this level, please,” another added.

“Mayor, You certainly have the right to feel any sort of way. And you have the freedom to express those feelings in this medium. But, sir, this is not a good look for an elected official. I support you. But this was a misstep,” a commenter said.

“How embarrassing this is from a leader? Isn’t this what we (are) preaching against? It’s all over social media. So proud,” another said.

Some, however, agreed with the mayor’s pointed comments.

Archived