Men Vs Arkansas

Maverick.AU

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m fine with losing. I don’t like the way we looked at all starting late in the first and all of the 2nd. That ranks up there as one of the worst halves of basketball I’ve seen us play under Pearl. 

Completely agree. That defense was terrible. Rebounding  was bad. Ball handling was bad, rotation was all over the place. Coach needs to watch the film

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Giving that Arkansas player points 3 steps after the foul in the first half. Those points could be taken off the board. 

Eh I think that gets overly nit picky when you start talking about subtracting fouls 

We lost our poise. Bottom line. BP reacted FAR too late. If your man goes to double, YOU go set a screen for your PG. If they press you, you press them back. By the time we started doing those things, the game had turned into a near double digit deficit almost out of reach. Shouldn't have gotten to that point.

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This loss is far bigger than just missing someone, but having a Powell would’ve allowed for you to still run your offense + have someone SEE the court when Cooper was indisposed 

And keep the Arkansas defense a little more honest. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I doubt it. These kids want to play in the NBA, they should be putting forth their best play every single game. 

Fair enough. I'm the least useful guy in here. Just now getting my basketball watching chops. I just know the double dribble no-call vs Virginia and the ghost PI calls in that final possession of LSU (football) couple years ago got me messed up for life lol

Just now, AUnCullman said:

I will not sleep well tonight...

Why not? The future is bright. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Wait until you see Thor with a year of seasoning on him!

The Hogs wanted it more. A healthy Powell would have REALLY come in handy tonight. His ball handling and poise could have made a difference.

The Hogs played like their lives were on the line. After consecutive road blowouts, down by 19, at home, it's time to throw caution to the wind, come what may. They wanted it more and we lost our composure.

How to blow a 19 point lead and lose the game: Stop playing defense and let the opponent get all his shots from three feet or closer. End of lesson.

8 hours ago, jAUSon said:

I've only gotten about 3 years experience watching B ball. Not emotionally prepared to see the refs win the game

I'm just telling myself SEC officiating was making up for the football game debacle. Arkansas fans can end their 4 month long whining spree now, we are even. 

I really hate to see us choke a 19 point lead away, that’s not a good look and something that’s been super rare under Bruce. Im chalking this one up to youth and would just move on. We are sooo much better overall than we were at the beginning. It’s all good. 

9 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

The Hogs played like their lives were on the line. After consecutive road blowouts, down by 19, at home, it's time to throw caution to the wind, come what may. They wanted it more and we lost our composure.

Unfortunately that has happened a number of times this year. I think the team is just looking for consistency. The talent is there. I am hoping they turn it on in February. 

9 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

The Hogs wanted it more. A healthy Powell would have REALLY come in handy tonight. His ball handling and poise could have made a difference.

It would be nice to see Powell and Cooper play together, I think they would complement each other nicely.  Hopefully it will happen this year.

I was feeling very good in the first half. The second half was just discombobulated. I obviously have not seen more than half our games. But Moore and Franklin were new to me. I don’t recall them before this game. We are very deep. Very young. Tall,long talented. Just need experience. 

As @cole256has pointed out, Kentucky laid out a blueprint for how to stop Cooper, ie run two long bodies at him and make him give up the ball up high. Arky followed it in the second half and we did not handle it well. Hope we can scheme to deal with that going forward; I’m sure we can and I do think getting Powell back if possible would really help

38 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was feeling very good in the first half. The second half was just discombobulated. I obviously have not seen more than half our games. But Moore and Franklin were new to me. I don’t recall them before this game. We are very deep. Very young. Tall,long talented. Just need experience. 

The thought came to me that Thor and Cardwell must have pissed Bruce off over some things on the court and he sat them both for some time. There may be other explanations for the lengthy playing time for Moore and Franklin, but that was my take.

Also, three times Cooper had perfect assist passes and then some big guy or the other missed the jam. We haven't been missing those, until last night. Cooper wouldn't have appeared to be "stopped" so much if the guys under the basket had come through.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The thought came to me that Thor and Cardwell must have pissed Bruce off over some things on the court and he sat them both for some time. There may be other explanations for the lengthy playing time for Moore and Franklin, but that was my take.

Also, three times Cooper had perfect assist passes and then some big guy or the other missed the jam. We haven't been missing those, until last night. Cooper wouldn't have appeared to be "stopped" so much if the guys under the basket had come through.

Franklin had some productive minutes. Moore seemed to be less valuable than many others who were sitting. But I don’t know what he’s capable of. 

We lost the game in the first 7 minutes of the second half. But I didn’t understand why Pearl used the last time out when he did. 

Tough loss after being up big in first half. Sharife needs to stop trying to draw so many fouls. Harper did a lot of that early in his career and it works for a time but then you get a reputation with the refs and they stop calling fouls that are real. You have to pick your spots on when to initiate that contact. First time this team has had to react to a double team of Sharife. They did not handle it well but i bet they handle it better next time. With Powell we blow up the double team strategy but we don't have him right now so others gotta be able to make teams pay for overplaying Sharife. 

Jaylin Williams: 23 minutes, only 2 points.  I thought he was going to be more consistent than he's been.

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I really hate to see us choke a 19 point lead away, that’s not a good look and something that’s been super rare under Bruce. Im chalking this one up to youth and would just move on. We are sooo much better overall than we were at the beginning. It’s all good. 

A few seasons back (maybe 3 years ago?), we struggled to hold onto leads late, no matter how large. We've reversed course the past two seasons, able to overcome large deficits multiple times, and pretty good at holding leads.

Last night was a bit different, where for a good part of the first half, it looked like we could beat anybody ("we want Bama" in my head). By the end of the first half, it was clear that we could lose the game. Early into the second half, it became clear that we had lost poise and confidence on the offensive end, while Arkansas had all the confidence in the world. We needed an 8-0 run in the second half, and we never got one.

Still, I agree. It's all good.

Archived