Men Vs Arkansas

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Jaylin Williams: 23 minutes, only 2 points.  I thought he was going to be more consistent than he's been.

He seems just a step slow in decision making to me. I think he and most of the team are still trying to get all on the same page together. Its not easy with Coop missing so many games and then as soon as we get him we lose Powell. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, gravejd said:

He seems just a step slow in decision making to me. I think he and most of the team are still trying to get all on the same page together. Its not easy with Coop missing so many games and then as soon as we get him we lose Powell. 

thats the way I see it too.

So so inexperienced, and going through growing pains on how to play together. 

I think it also hurt when Cardwell got 2 quick fouls in first 3 mins, and FLanigan was in foul trouble down the stretch. Cardwell would have helped inside when they made their runs. 

And Cooper at times is still a little out of control when he dribble drives.

Losses like this is part of growing up. Also I told you expect it to get a little more difficult for coop now that he has film that can be scouted. Also now we get to see what adjustments we are going to make as well. 

Last thing to think about too is coop doesn't really have a back up and this his first year......his shooting will actually probably get worse as his legs will get tired and that's one of the hardest things as far as basketball and playing a bunch of games. Your legs go and the slightest adjustments on your legs really alter your shot a good bit.

Just warning about that and when he has some bad shooting games in the future, it's not the end of the world. 

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Losses like this is part of growing up. Also I told you expect it to get a little more difficult for coop now that he has film that can be scouted. Also now we get to see what adjustments we are going to make as well. 

Last thing to think about too is coop doesn't really have a back up and this his first year......his shooting will actually probably get worse as his legs will get tired and that's one of the hardest things as far as basketball and playing a bunch of games. Your legs go and the slightest adjustments on your legs really alter your shot a good bit.

Just warning about that and when he has some bad shooting games in the future, it's not the end of the world. 

What would be your suggestion in planning for future games and adjustments to be made?

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

What would be your suggestion in planning for future games and adjustments to be made?

Well we need Powell and I know everybody knows that but when he's back we use him to handle the ball and put coop off ball. Maybe something as easy as Powell brings the ball up court. 

More advanced things we can do is incorporate more pick and roll in our offense. What really could be good is we us Powell and flanningan as the guys to set the pick. That would force the defense in a mismatch one way or the other as they would either have to choose to fight thru which let's be real coop with a pick advantage he's going to win 99% of the time or they have to switch and now there's a guy on coop who wasn't designed to be on him.

If coop has his wind and is in shape we can set screens and run double picks and just pick guys to death. 

When he's off ball we can start him low and with him being small he maybe get "lost" amongst the bigs down there and pop up high. 

Other guys jump shots are very important as well. If the guys out there with him are shooters then they can't help and they'll have to stay on their guy. Coop has already shown he's very good at finding the open man or even throwing to a spot to make the guy get open. 

And if one of those guys could be big, let's say thor this creates opportunities for everybody and puts defense at our mercy as there will now always be a second option with a high potential to either be wide open or have a direct path to the goal. This is what chuma would create for us in the past. 

If our big guy could get a little better at rebounding on both the offensive and defensive end and cause a need for extra help to be needed to contain him that would open up some space and cause the defense to play more conservative against us and that would free up space for everybody as well. This is what having Wiley would do for us in the past and even though there wasn't a stat for it he was vital. That's why if you ever noticed when Wiley was on the floor even though he's big and he wasn't a shooter the lane was hardly ever congested

This also will create a bunch of lanes and space for everybody else. This is what Harper would do for us.

Lastly I know I've said it a bunch but he can work on his shooting and make them commit to having to close the gap as far as respecting his jump shot. Then he'll be able to dictate their movement and even get them in foul trouble. 

If he does that AND add a mid range game well he's in the NBA and it will be damn near impossible to guard him.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well we need Powell and I know everybody knows that but when he's back we use him to handle the ball and put coop off ball. Maybe something as easy as Powell brings the ball up court. 

More advanced things we can do is incorporate more pick and roll in our offense. What really could be good is we us Powell and flanningan as the guys to set the pick. That would force the defense in a mismatch one way or the other as they would either have to choose to fight thru which let's be real coop with a pick advantage he's going to win 99% of the time or they have to switch and now there's a guy on coop who wasn't designed to be on him.

If coop has his wind and is in shape we can set screens and run double picks and just pick guys to death. 

When he's off ball we can start him low and with him being small he maybe get "lost" amongst the bigs down there and pop up high. 

Other guys jump shots are very important as well. If the guys out there with him are shooters then they can't help and they'll have to stay on their guy. Coop has already shown he's very good at finding the open man or even throwing to a spot to make the guy get open. 

And if one of those guys could be big, let's say thor this creates opportunities for everybody and puts defense at our mercy as there will now always be a second option with a high potential to either be wide open or have a direct path to the goal. This is what chuma would create for us in the past. 

If our big guy could get a little better at rebounding on both the offensive and defensive end and cause a need for extra help to be needed to contain him that would open up some space and cause the defense to play more conservative against us and that would free up space for everybody as well. This is what having Wiley would do for us in the past and even though there wasn't a stat for it he was vital. That's why if you ever noticed when Wiley was on the floor even though he's big and he wasn't a shooter the lane was hardly ever congested

This also will create a bunch of lanes and space for everybody else. This is what Harper would do for us.

Lastly I know I've said it a bunch but he can work on his shooting and make them commit to having to close the gap as far as respecting his jump shot. Then he'll be able to dictate their movement and even get them in foul trouble. 

If he does that AND add a mid range game well he's in the NBA and it will be damn near impossible to guard him.

Sounds like a good plan. The rebounding I especially agree. Many of our missed shots last night we had no one within 12 feet of the basket. We have too much size, athletic, long players to not be rebounding better.. the potential might be better than I can recall. The effort is there too. Just experience and growth is what we lack. That’s why I get nauseated at hearing the draft predictions. 

Sharife has played 5 games and is already being mentioned as a 1st rounder and one of the best players in the league.  Absolutely 🥜 .

Archived