2021 Tennessee Transfer RB Eric Gray (OU 1/27)

ellitor

9 minutes ago, keywest said:

You just can't have enough 5'7" 170 LB RB's, it is just amazing how OSU, bammer, UGA and Clemson can compete without having a full stable on them.

Are you more of a length guy or a girth guy? 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Are you more of a length guy or a girth guy? 

Not sure how to answer this one ... 🤪

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I would think Gray is looking for a starting position. Don't see him coming to Au with Tank here.

@steeleagle Not as big of a deal as it was years ago, especially in the physically demanding SEC. For example, even though Chubb was usually the starter at UGA when healthy look at how productive Michel & Swift were & where they are now.

9 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Not sure how to answer this one ... 🤪

No worries! It's only meant for folks who are overly preoccupied with how big a guy's, uh, frame is. 

29 minutes ago, keywest said:

If we can land one high quality transfer (ie...former quality starter). then I would sign only one HS RB. There is limited higher end HS RB's that haven't signed and I wouldn't waste a spot to just add a body.

@keywest We have 2 RBs now which is very thin as we know. If we only add 1 transfer & 1 HS that's 4 which most staff's see as on the thin side, especially in the SEC FWIW.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@keywest We have 2 RBs now which is very thin as we know. If we only add 1 transfer & 1 HS that's 4 which most staff's see as on the thin side, especially in the SEC FWIW.

Agreed. I think we need at least one transfer and the two high-school recruits to field an effective rotation. 

6 hours ago, The Freak said:

Our defense made everyone look like Emmitt last year.  How did he do against other defenses and how involved with the Mickey D bags was he?

Those are some really solid numbers when you consider his situation. 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Beaker Of course you do. You’re from Texas.

Now you are discounting my acumen for assessing skills from their video.    But, nah - the only RB I truly want from texas is LJ Johnson.   This cat is a close second.  Oh and I like the young man from Mississippi.   But yeah I understand if we can get a veteran or two with D1 experience, that is huge.  

I don’t know about anyone from UT. I have to be concerned that he might have gotten a Happy Meal. If he didn’t, why the hell not. Lose either way. 

I just think he is the type of kid that will go somewhere to be the number one back. I think he is probably the best player in the portal at the moment. I would love to have him but I don’t see him sitting behind tank. 

Hey E - Who is the other current AU running back? I thought they all were leaving.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know about anyone from UT. I have to be concerned that he might have gotten a Happy Meal. If he didn’t, why the hell not. Lose either way. 

Worthy question for @ellitor- what concerns are there for him being eligible? Didn't he sit for concerns with that? Is it worth the take in that case?

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Worthy question for @ellitor- what concerns are there for him being eligible? Didn't he sit for concerns with that? Is it worth the take in that case?

@WDE_OxPx_2010 I have no clue on any of that stuff. Before this thread I hadn’t heard of any eligibility concerns with him or this happy meal stuff y’all are talking about. And with work being so busy this week I really don’t have time to look it up.

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Hey E - Who is the other current AU running back? I thought they all were leaving.

@gr82b4auShivers. With all the rumors about him he has not entered the portal yet.

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t see him sitting behind tank

I don't know what my priority list is for things that I hope change under Harsin, but not thinking of the RB rotation as a situation where 1B is "sitting behind" 1A is close to the top. Smart offenses and smart running backs know that an elite tandem gives the offense the best chance of immediate success and each RB the best chance of long term professional success. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know what my priority list is for things that I hope change under Harsin, but not thinking of the RB rotation as a situation where 1B is "sitting behind" 1A is close to the top. Smart offenses and smart running backs know that an elite tandem gives the offense the best chance of immediate success and each RB the best chance of long term professional success. 

Well I agree with you! And I think that going forward we will adopt that mentality, especially with high school kids. I just think a transfer elite running back is not going to want to go to a place with another elite running back. He is already used to being “the man” on an sec team. Of course I hope I am completely wrong. He would be amazing as a 1 2 punch

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He is already used to being “the man” on an sec team.

That's a good point. I think HS RBs think a little differently now, but I hadn't considered that he got a taste of being BMOC and as such it might be harder for him to willingly concede carries. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

@gr82b4auShivers. With all the rumors about him he has not entered the portal yet.

It would greatly benefit him to head to a G5 or FCS school 

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It would greatly benefit him to head to a G5 or FCS school 

Not sure about that. He will still get his fair share of touches plus we need the bodies.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. He will still get his fair share of touches plus we need the bodies.

Also, I'm excited to give every player that sticks around- even the ones I've criticized heavily- a chance to show what they can really do under better offensive coaches. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's a good point. I think HS RBs think a little differently now, but I hadn't considered that he got a taste of being BMOC and as such it might be harder for him to willingly concede carries. 

Remember Caddy and Ronnie  were able to both get plenty of touches to showcase themselves,  gain what, 1800 yds, and  stay healthy that year....I suspect Caddy, as a coach,  is or will be a great asset  to this staff.    

There is room in our offense for 2 big time backs.. because there is only ball and about 75 plays.

Just now, Beaker said:

Remember Caddy and Ronnie  were able to both get plenty of touches to showcase themselves,  gain what, 1800 yds, and  stay healthy that year....I suspect Caddy, as a coach,  is or will be a great asset  to this staff.    

There is room in our offense for 2 big time backs.. because there is only ball and about 75 plays.

I heard that Caddy really pushed more of a rotation on Gus and Gus agreed to it, only to go back to his ways like he always did. We did see more of an rotation this past season, but I don't know that that was by choice. 

I agree with your suspicion. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I heard that Caddy really pushed more of a rotation on Gus and Gus agreed to it, only to go back to his ways like he always did. We did see more of an rotation this past season, but I don't know that that was by choice. 

I agree with your suspicion. 

we did more rotation early in the season, you are right....Gus may believe in the 'hot hand' philosophy.  

All the programs producing the most NFL ready backs work a rotation to preserve health and have fresh legs in the 4th.  I forgot to mention depth (ala our failure in the 2017 SECCG).  

Archived