2021 Tennessee Transfer RB Eric Gray (OU 1/27)

ellitor

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I heard that Caddy really pushed more of a rotation on Gus and Gus agreed to it, only to go back to his ways like he always did. We did see more of an rotation this past season, but I don't know that that was by choice. 

I agree with your suspicion. 

JMO...Gus needed an impact player at that position to make his offense go, because the rest of it was so broken.  We should have been able to move the ball with Tank on the sideline, but that was not the case.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

JMO...Gus needed an impact player at that position to make his offense go, because the rest of it was so broken.  We should have been able to move the ball with Tank on the sideline, but that was not the case.

The problem was the crappy OL recruiting Gus spearheaded his entire head coaching tenure.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. He will still get his fair share of touches plus we need the bodies.

True we need the bodies but he has very little to offer at this level.  I'm sincerely hoping we can land 2 RBs before next season.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

True we need the bodies but he has very little to offer at this level.

@dyehardfanAU Do you seriously think he can't do some real damage if his skill set was schemed & used better, specifically in space?

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

True we need the bodies but he has very little to offer at this level.  I'm sincerely hoping we can land 2 RBs before next season.

You obviously don't know much about football. With his speed and low center of gravity he could be a dynamite player in open space.  I still remember how fast he scored on bama a couple years ago to be negated by a phantom holding call. This year at beginning of season when he was RB1 he had some very solid runs and looked very good when he got banged up a little Tank became RB1 and we did not rotate enough (even though more then in the past).  He is not as big as Tank so while he can run between tackles he is not going to get 2-3 yards when hit a LOS but if we had a better line that caused a gap and gets to second level he is capable of taking it to the house.

In the right system at Auburn he could be a real asset. 

Shivers may not be an Abrams Tank like, well, Tank, But he’s at least a little Sherman Tank with a fast motor in it!

Shivers is obviously a great locker room leader and has the work ethic/passion most young men lack.

If accepts his role, great.   Coach is building a new foundation.  

There are enough plays for those top backs.   Everyone is not going to make it in the league.  It's just a fact. I don't blame a guy for going to Akron or similar to get some carries.  Shivers just can't block the blitzing MLB in most cases or as well as DJ could.  Part of it is just physics.    

Note: I have loved to watch Shivers and have since I saw his HS games on tv.   I admire him, but it's up to Bobo and Harsin to define his role. 

I always hoped he would become the next Darrel Sproles. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@dyehardfanAU Do you seriously think he can't do some real damage if his skill set was schemed & used better, specifically in space?

I could see him being a situational back but don't expect him to get a large number of carries unless we strike out finding RB2.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I could see him being a situational back but don't expect him to get a large number of carries unless we strike out finding RB2.

I'm not talking traditional carries. I'm talking end arounds, screens, & swing plays type stuff that is schemed a lot better than was before.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm not talking traditional carries. I'm talking end arounds, screens, & swing plays type stuff that is schemed a lot better than was before.

Sure, I could see him getting a few carries a game in that type of role which is why I said he'd probably be better somewhere else. If he's good with that limited of role than so be it, I hope it helps us out.  I just don't see him ever being RB2, much less RB1 and thus he'd be better off elsewhere if that is his goal.

15 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Sure, I could see him getting a few carries a game in that type of role which is why I said he'd probably be better somewhere else. If he's good with that limited of role than so be it, I hope it helps us out.  I just don't see him ever being RB2, much less RB1 and thus he'd be better off elsewhere if that is his goal.

He's not likely getting in the NFL so his best bet is to finish that AU education if he hasn't done so already. Pretty sure the AU education is better than what he can get at nearly every FCS school.

Concerning Eric Gray, he wasn't the only RB who gashed us right up the gut after Britt got hurt. We fixed that to some degree as the season went on, but others before and after Gray did about the same thing to AU's D. I wouldn't judge Gray on that one game.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Concerning Eric Gray, he wasn't the only RB who gashed us right up the gut after Britt got hurt. We fixed that to some degree as the season went on, but others before and after Gray did about the same thing to AU's D. I wouldn't judge Gray on that one game.

I agree. That said, Gray also caught 30 passes this year and that kind of versatility could be big in Harsin’s offense. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree. That said, Gray also caught 30 passes this year and that kind of versatility could be big in Harsin’s offense. 

He's not a grad transfer, so can he get a waiver? If he can't play in the 2021 season, we probably need to look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

He's not a grad transfer, so can he get a waiver?

Should be able to given the mess at Tennessee.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mikey said:

He's not a grad transfer, so can he get a waiver? If he can't play in the 2021 season, we probably need to look elsewhere.

Doesn't a coach getting fired allow him to transfer and play right away?

19 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Doesn't a coach getting fired allow him to transfer and play right away?

@tbone4jc Not necessarily. The waiver process still has to be gone through. The expected violations may help with the waiver though.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Beaker None have been reported yet.

Hey @ellitor

transfers and timelines:  seems to me with winter workouts starting next week or soon, most of these cats would want to transfer and get going.  Am I right?  I suspect DJ is in tomahawk town and MAR is sunning himself down in Coral Gables (yeah I remember that is home).

On 1/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

We don't win a national championship in 2010 without OMac and we don't play for one in 2013 without Corey Grant. Worm is that kind of player at worst. It's not his fault that Gus horrifically mismanaged our offense for Worm's entire time here.

Nothing makes me happier than him finally getting a chance with non-dumbasses who might actually put their skill players in positions to succeed.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We don't win a national championship in 2010 without OMac and we don't play for one in 2013 without Corey Grant. Worm is that kind of player at worst. It's not his fault that Gus horrifically mismanaged our offense for Worm's entire time here.

Nothing makes me happier than him finally getting a chance with non-dumbasses who might actually put their skill players in positions to succeed.

I don't hate the kid or anything, I just haven't seen anything to make me believe he is special.  If he stays, I won't complain.  I just genuinely hope we bring in some other RBs to fill the void.

12 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I just genuinely hope we bring in some other RBs to fill the void.

I agree with this, because even if our 2 RBs were Bo and Eric Dickerson in their primes, 2 RBs isn't enough. 

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't hate the kid or anything, I just haven't seen anything to make me believe he is special.  If he stays, I won't complain.  I just genuinely hope we bring in some other RBs to fill the void.

Everybody can’t be special that doesn’t mean you’re not good. Everybody has to have a role to play. No matter what RB we bring in, I’m pretty sure he won’t be better than Shivers

Archived