Bert Watts ST Coord and OLB Coach

Zeek

71502117-6A6A-454B-A8AF-7E6FD058C14D.jpeg

AUBURN, Ala. – Bert Watts has been named special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Thursday. Watts spent the past season at Memphis as linebackers coach after three seasons at Fresno State, including two as defensive coordinator.

"Bert is a great addition to round out our on-field coaching staff, overseeing our special teams unit and working with our outside linebackers and edge rushers," Harsin said. "I coached against him during his time at Fresno State and I always had a tremendous amount of respect for his coaching style and abilities. Bert's players have always been very well prepared, disciplined and executed at a high level."

This past season at Memphis, Watts helped the Tigers to an 8-3 record and a bowl victory, while defensively the unit was top 20 nationally in red zone defense, turnovers gained and fumbles recovered. 

"My family and I are excited to join the Auburn family and we're grateful to Coach Harsin and his staff to be a part of the legacy of Auburn football," Watts said. "I'm thankful and appreciative to get to work with players that will trust us on a journey to success and I can't wait to get started."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/21/football-bert-watts-named-special-teams-coordinator-and-outside-linebackers-coach-at-auburn.aspx

Coached all over the place including high schools in Florida, colleges on the west coast, east coast, and the south.

Played linebacker in college leading his team in tackles his senior year and has also been a DC before.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Coached all over the place including high schools in Florida, colleges on the west coast, east coast, and the south.

Played linebacker in college leading his team in tackles his senior year and has also been a DC before.

I don’t like that his defense at Fresno went from giving up 14 points per game in year one to 30 points in year 2, but he also isn’t going to be our DC, just a OLB coach. Maybe he can get our pass rush situation fixed. Hope he can recruit as well. 

(If he can fix our pass rush and develop his players, then recruiting isn’t that much of a worry, just as long as he’s not a negative in that category)

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Don't forget Europe

Welcome Coach Watts! Is that 3 former DCs that we have on staff now? Mason, Schmedding, and Watts. I think this is a great final addition to the coaching staff. Excellent mix of youth and experience, ties to all over the country, good mix between developers of talent and gathers of talent. 

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

He is a beast recruiter! Am I correct? Lol

Why don't you just go cheer for Gus somewhere else?

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Welcome Coach Watts! Is that 3 former DCs that we have on staff now? Mason, Schmedding, and Watts. I think this is a great final addition to the coaching staff. Excellent mix of youth and experience, ties to all over the country, good mix between developers of talent and gathers of talent. 

Yup, can't be a bad thing. We might see similar "shared responsibilities" like what Clemson does. I do think if you look at last year's defensive staff vs. this one we downgraded from a recruiting standpoint as of now. Etheridge, Schmedding, and Watts could prove themselves in big time recruiting... who knows.

Mason is an upgrade from Steele in the recruiting department as well but Rocker doesn't recruit off-campus but we will see.

Definitely have a staff full of developers. Schmedding is the only position coach on defense who hasn't played at a high level (college or pro) but hey he was a state runner-up in wrestling so that's cool.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yup, can't be a bad thing. We might see similar "shared responsibilities" like what Clemson does. I do think if you look at last year's defensive staff vs. this one we downgraded from a recruiting standpoint as of now. Etheridge, Schmedding, and Watts could prove themselves in big time recruiting... who knows.

Mason is an upgrade from Steele in the recruiting department as well but Rocker doesn't recruit off-campus but we will see.

Definitely have a staff full of developers. Schmedding is the only position coach on defense who hasn't played at a high level (college or pro) but hey he was a state runner-up in wrestling so that's cool.

Shared responsibilities would be a disaster waiting to happen. I agree with everything else though

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

He is a beast recruiter! Am I correct? Lol

A significant number of assistants under Saban didn't have reputations as Ace recruiters until AFTER they worked for him. Go figure......

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why don't you just go cheer for Gus somewhere else?

I don’t have near your intelligence, so I’m confused. I didn’t think Gus was coaching for us anymore.

Are you trying to use code to say, you don’t like this hire, for some reason? 

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

A significant number of assistants under Saban didn't have reputations as Ace recruiters until AFTER they worked for him. Go figure......

You’re a little behind, but I understand your point.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Definitely have a staff full of developers. 

I truly believe this is the key.  If we can get good-great talent then develop to NFL caliber - This will be the way that we get better from years past

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Shared responsibilities would be a disaster waiting to happen. I agree with everything else though

Yeah, I haven't seen it actually mentioned anywhere but it can't hurt that a lot of our defensive staff have coached various positions. 

Just now, AU-24 said:

I don’t have near your intelligence, so I’m confused. I didn’t think Gus was coaching for us anymore.

Are you trying to use code to say, you don’t like this hire, for some reason? 

What??? I don't care what anybody says you're trolling. Nobody is this dense in real life

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We'll see on recruiting. I think a lot of the recruiting is done by the school. Meaning these guys will be better recruiters just because they are recruiting for AU. That is not always the case as we have seen with OL recruiting. But for example TWILL recruited very well at AU and had never signed any recruits to any school prior to being LB coach at AU. I don't see any reason to be concerned with our defensive staff being able to recruit quality players right now. The next couple signed days will tell the tale though. 

I love that there is more youth on this staff compared to the last one. I put a lot of stock in coaches being able to relate to their players. Maybe too much....

T Will was terrific and Watts seems enormously promising. Memphis for a whopping year for southern recruiting credentials is something to watch, but that's a talent rich area and maybe he established some area networking. His D coaching record is impressive.

Another hire that's an unknown.  It'll be interesting to see which of these younger guys w/out any P5 experience sink or swim.  Probably not going to hit on every one, but feel like at least a couple will have a brighter star in a few years.

I'm just little ol me but my 2 cents is no matter what these are the coaches we rolling out with, if you downing or have negative stuff to say before they get a chance to do ANYTHING your allegiance isn't to the school at all, I can't explain it but to me it almost feel not American to not give a guy a chance. But that's just me and how I see it.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm just little ol me but my 2 cents is no matter what these are the coaches we rolling out with, if you downing or have negative stuff to say before they get a chance to do ANYTHING your allegiance isn't to the school at all, I can't explain it but to me it almost feel not American to not give a guy a chance. But that's just me and how I see it.

Agreed, I like how young our new staff is and a guy who has been a DC now being a LB coach is likely more than capable lol.

Archived