Bert Watts ST Coord and OLB Coach

Zeek

37 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Good stuff. Now go break down some film or at least find some articles and tell me what defensive schemes he preferred at Fresno, lol. 

Damn 5 hour Zoom meeting today set me back.

I used to spend two full days per week breaking down film. Granted it was for 14 seasons of my son's 1st-7th grade teams, but I was about the only coach in the league that hadn't played P5 football, so I had to make up in time what I lacked in innate knowledge. Always had a top 3 D for the ones I coordinated. Think I could get an off the field analyst job? Maybe at bammer, they have so many that they might not notice one more......

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I used to spend two full days per week breaking down film. Granted it was for 14 seasons of my son's 1st-7th grade teams, but I was about the only coach in the league that hadn't played P5 football, so I had to make up in time what I lacked in innate knowledge. Always had a top 3 D for the ones I coordinated. Think I could get an off the field analyst job? Maybe at bammer, they have so many that they might not notice one more......

Depends....have you been known to network while on vacation or in the pool?

1 hour ago, TeBoneAU said:

Welcome to the Plains coach Watts!

Well I believe this coaching staff is proof that coach Harsin was given total control of the football program by AD Green. 

not AD Greene we wouldve had to worry abt in that department

5 hours ago, Paladin said:

Entering the 2020 season, Watts was not retained by new Fresno State head coach Kalen DeBoer after Watts' defense in 2019 saw a downturn in production (No. 88 nationally in total defense and No. 82 in points allowed).

The defenses in the WAC are not the defenses in the SEC. The fact that it took this long to hire Watts and officially tell T-Will to get out is hard to digest. Will Watts get the same passion and effort out of his players; what about recruiting compared to T-Will?  I’m going to pull for Watts just as much as I did T-Will, same with all of our new coaches, but the last two hires (Williams from Troy and Watts formerly from Fresno State) give me a lot of pause.

When AU thankfully made the much criticized move to buyout/can Gus, I was fired up. “Now, we can staff with the best of the best.” CBH came out and said all the right things. But to win, he had to surround himself with dudes. Several weeks later, on paper, our new assistants, as a whole, have a bunch of question marks. Do they have the potential? I hope. Can they get the top tier prospects we have to have Now, and continue to develop them  to win championships? I hope.  I love Auburn with a passion. I’ve been through decades of good times and bad. Forgive me for being skeptical. 

10 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

The defenses in the WAC are not the defenses in the SEC. The fact that it took this long to hire Watts and officially tell T-Will to get out is hard to digest. Will Watts get the same passion and effort out of his players; what about recruiting compared to T-Will?  I’m going to pull for Watts just as much as I did T-Will, same with all of our new coaches, but the last two hires (Williams from Troy and Watts formerly from Fresno State) give me a lot of pause.

When AU thankfully made the much criticized move to buyout/can Gus, I was fired up. “Now, we can staff with the best of the best.” CBH came out and said all the right things. But to win, he had to surround himself with dudes. Several weeks later, on paper, our new assistants, as a whole, have a bunch of question marks. Do they have the potential? I hope. Can they get the top tier prospects we have to have Now, and continue to develop them  to win championships? I hope.  I love Auburn with a passion. I’ve been through decades of good times and bad. Forgive me for being skeptical. 

You need to get out of the south a bit.

The SEC is really not the only conference that plays good football.  I mean, Auburn can't beat a Big 10 and hold them below 30 points...

Status Quo needs to die.

Does anyone know why Watts left being the DC at Fresno State for a LB job at Memphis? Would that switch be considered an upgrade?

22 minutes ago, mah0020 said:

Does anyone know why Watts left being the DC at Fresno State for a LB job at Memphis? Would that switch be considered an upgrade?

Coaching change and the new HC didn't retain him 

1 hour ago, mah0020 said:

why Watts left being the DC at Fresno State for a LB job at Memphis?

New head coach I believe and defense regressed the previous year. Dude coached overseas, so you know he wants it bad. Hungry is a good trait I'd say.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, Zeek said:

Nope! Speaks volume about his work ethic, toughness, etc.

From one wrestler to another, I agree!

On 1/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, auburndkel said:

I think it's ok to be skeptical, in fact I think it shows more intelligence to be skeptical than to be a blind loyalist.  I think that your concerns re: the recruiting prowess of the staff are somewhat warranted.  We have a mixture of coaches with a strong history of recruiting, one or two who have a weak history of recruiting, and a lot of unknowns who have never had an Auburn to sell.  It's going to take more than just the assistant coaches to improve recruiting, though they are obviously a huge part of it.  Our off-field and off-off-field recruiting operations have to be top tier for us to truly move towards the top.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:18 PM, auburndkel said:

There is absolutely nothing negative or downvote worthy about this post. Of course you’re skeptical about the guys from Troy and Fresno State being able to recruit against some of the teams that are recruiting better than anyone has in college football history. Only time will tell if these guys and this staff can play with the big dogs. It is cool to see a staff of fresh faces though. Gives me hope again. I would have liked to see T-Will, Jeff Grimes, and Dell McGee somewhere in this staff. Maybe someone else running strength and conditioning. But if wishes and buts...

On 1/21/2021 at 9:32 PM, 1716AU said:

You need to get out of the south a bit.

The SEC is really not the only conference that plays good football.  I mean, Auburn can't beat a Big 10 and hold them below 30 points...

Status Quo needs to die.

Not to put words in his mouth, but he could also mean there’s some stark physical differences that might philosophically be a shock for a few of those guys 

and for some positions in the SEC, the same thing few things are required if you really want to succeed. You need those LBs built similar to Sherwood, the Patrick Queens and Mack Wilsons...and so on. More than anything, what “typical” SEC defenses that get praise nowadays all share is at least one shutdown CB, some run eaters and those LBs that can fulfill 3 different positions. I think we can get there

I think people are on the complete other end of the spectrum now where they’re eating anyone who questions hires alive now, indiscriminately 

There’s people that admit to not knowing who these coaches are mad at folks like this dude for saying we have question marks lol. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think people are on the complete other end of the spectrum now where they’re eating anyone who questions hires alive now, indiscriminately 

There’s people that admit to not knowing who these coaches are mad at folks like this dude for saying we have question marks lol. 

Don’t go down this rabbit whole man. You’ll waste a whole lot of time. We aren’t allowed to point out obvious position coach concerns, anymore. JUST FALL IN LINE, RIGBY!!

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Don’t go down this rabbit whole man. You’ll waste a whole lot of time. We aren’t allowed to point out obvious position coach concerns, anymore. JUST FALL IN LINE, RIGBY!!

Well I'm just going to say you were one of those guys with me and I was right. People just have different opinions sometimes. It's usually not personal

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well I'm just going to say you were one of those guys with me and I was right. People just have different opinions sometimes. It's usually not personal

I will fully concede to you that you called the Bo falling apart and not being ready thing. To be fair to me though, that Georgia game was at the beginning of the season and he didn’t look as bad to me when he was playing as a freshman.  I had no thought in my mind that he would just continue to fall apart the way he did. Good job calling that.

35 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I will fully concede to you that you called the Bo falling apart and not being ready thing. To be fair to me though, that Georgia game was at the beginning of the season and he didn’t look as bad to me when he was playing as a freshman.  I had no thought in my mind that he would just continue to fall apart the way he did. Good job calling that.

I really wasn't looking for a pat on the back I'm saying that you and a couple of others were pretty snippy about it but I don't think it was anything more than you really thinking you were right. So I'm just saying look at it from that perspective

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I really wasn't looking for a pat on the back I'm saying that you and a couple of others were pretty snippy about it but I don't think it was anything more than you really thinking you were right. So I'm just saying look at it from that perspective

There are two things that are really annoying about this forum:

1. People just don’t know how to handle disagreements 

2. people can never say when they are wrong 

Folks are really upset at them when you pushback on lazy arguments. It would be one thing if you debated with something substantial. You got people saying this hire won’t work because he is from Boise or I had to google him. That is just lazy. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Folks are really upset at them when you pushback on lazy arguments. It would be one thing if you debated with something substantial. You got people saying this hire won’t work because he is from Boise or I had to google him. That is just lazy. 

I've always said something similar. People will pop up with me all the time angry at me about something I wrote like a year ago......bro I don't know you. I don't know why you are upset. I didn't carry our argument. I don't like you or dislike you. I just said what I thought and that's it! It's not personal. If it was personal I'd had said something to make it clear that it was

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Spot on, kinda the mentality of society in general these days, no different on here...

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I've always said something similar. People will pop up with me all the time angry at me about something I wrote like a year ago......bro I don't know you. I don't know why you are upset. I didn't carry our argument. I don't like you or dislike you. I just said what I thought and that's it! It's not personal. If it was personal I'd had said something to make it clear that it was

Its really mind boggling to me. I read a post the other day criticizing the new WR coach because he only got 3 stars at Troy state and they couldn’t see how he would be able to pull higher recruits against SEC foes..

Like what?!

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I think I was wrong one time. Oh wait... no it was bacon!

Archived