Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

This is worth its own thread. Listen to former AU lineman Will Adams that transfered to Boise and played under both head coaches be interviewed by former AU lineman Kozan and Dismukes.

• ValleyTiger changed the title to Harsin vs Gus from a former player

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was interesting. with all the insight into gus was different. they ran four plays but so much more was expected more than normal i understand now why some players did not see the field much. what gave me hope was where it was said the strength and conditioning coach was kind of old fashioned but when players start doing his workouts it is going to be like a punch in the face. i also agree where i hate we lost out s and c guy because it was said he knew certain things to do to keep players from getting hurt much and i have head that before about our old s and c coach. and i was shocked only a few big name stars were welcome at auburn. that hurts right there.

Well worth the listen. Disappointed to hear that Gus did not release Will when he initially requested. Interesting to hear him say that AU was all work and football was fun again at Boise.  They also talked about recruiting, that Jeff Grimes was a great recruiter and many other were not, how big facilities are for recruiting and how behind AU is. AU facilities are like an iPhone 4 and bama is iphone 12. Will states how surprised he was that Boise had nicer lockerroom than AU.

I'm ashamed of some of the things about our school.......the way they were joking about having to beg for cleats and stuff.......smh

I'm really shocked at some of the stuff. We alienate former players? Why would you be paranoid about former players?

Why won't the school spend money on the football program but have all these high expectations?

I knew it. I knew it though. It's taking everything in me not to tag some people. I just want to scream I told you and pin it at the top of this forum. 

Our guys didn't know stuff. The uga game I told y'all Bo couldn't identify the Mike linebacker. He wasn't taught that stuff......you can look and tell and if I can you know what the corners and safety on the field was doing. 

We were babies mentally

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm really shocked at some of the stuff. We alienate former players? Why would you be paranoid about former players?

Why won't the school spend money on the football program but have all these high expectations?

None of it makes any sense. Maintaining good relationships with former players is a no brainer win/win. 

And if they somehow don't care about college football, in the single state where it is arguably most important, they should at least be able to do the math and understand a well-run, successful college football program equals big profit. 

Everybody should listen to this and you'd understand some of our struggles recently. It's not rocket science.

Also LMAO at when grimes was here how everybody was saying he couldn't recruit. It shows how much people really know about stuff

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why would you be paranoid about former players?

Gus was so paranoid about his offensive scheme he only hired yes men and people he had worked with before. Not surprising his paranoia carried over to players that left the program.

46 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Anybody care to sum it up 

Culture at Boise was radically different. Didn't seem to be a culture at Auburn that hated losing. Said there were obviously competitive guys who hated losing, especially those actually on the field, but that attitude didn't permeate throughout the entire program. It did at Boise. At the same time, Harsin kept a balance that made being a part of the team enjoyable, despite requiring maximum effort and work ethic. He said Auburn felt like a never ending grind - repetitive, and regimented. Don't know how much JB colored that perspective, or the fact that he wasn't getting playing time at Auburn. That can be tough. 

Says Malzahn was more analytical, very detail oriented. Paid more attention to tendencies than personnel. Harsin is more personnel driven. This is in line with what we've heard about Harsin's offense being multiple, and what we already know about Gus. 

Said he thought Gus had a better approach to strength and conditioning than Harsin. Thinks Russell is one of the best strength coaches in the country. Dismukes echoed that point. He doesn't think Pittman is in touch with modern strength and conditioning. On the other hand, thinks Pittman will be excellent in developing mental toughness. Overall wished we kept Russell as S&C, but brought Pittman in some capacity for the mental aspect.

Talked about the need for Auburn to catch up in the football facilities race. Thought Boise's facilities were actually nicer than Auburn's.

Moreover, Harsin has to prove to recruits that he can develop players and place them into the NFL, something Malzahn's offense failed to do consistently, especially up front. Dismukes flat out says that he wasn't even close to being prepared for the NFL game...four run plays, two protections, etc. Adams talks about having culture shock going to Boise and having to relearn the position. Guys are taught football under Harsin, not just football plays. 

Apparently Malzahn did not let a lot of former players come back and spend time around the program. Seemed like a sore point for Dismukes. Called him paranoid about letting people get too close to the program, something else we've heard before. Harsin has already communicated that he will allow former players greater access, and did so at Boise.

Expressed concern over coaches on Malzahn relying too much on Auburn to sell itself in recruiting, instead of keeping dynamic recruiters on staff. 

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Everybody should listen to this and you'd understand some of our struggles recently. It's not rocket science.

Also LMAO at when grimes was here how everybody was saying he couldn't recruit. It shows how much people really know about stuff

No one thought jeff grimes couldn't recruit lol. He brought in the best OL classes AU has ever had in the star era. OL recruiting has-been terrible since he left. I will always remember he turned down the texas OL job after the natty year. The one and only time mack brown didn't poach a coach from us 🤣😂.

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Are you confusing fans bashing JB Grimes with recruiting? Jeff Grimes= good, JB Grimes= bad

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Anybody care to sum it up 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Cliffs probably won't do it justice Taylor. When you get time listen in the car or something. So many truth bombs packed in to about 40 minutes.

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one thought jeff grimes couldn't recruit lol. He brought in the best OL classes AU has ever had in the star era. OL recruiting has-been terrible since he left. I will always remember he turned down the texas OL job after the natty year. The one and only time mack brown didn't poach a coach from us 🤣😂.

Nobody is a strong word I guess you're correcting me on me saying everybody and I'll listen because your sort of show me the flaw just like you said everybody. But there were absolutely people who said this. I have this pattern that when I talk about things I talk about my personal experiences. I don't just pull stuff out of the air. 

They were saying he got lazy or complacent somewhat the same picture they painted of rocker

31 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

Are you confusing fans bashing JB Grimes with recruiting? Jeff Grimes= good, JB Grimes= bad

I don't think so jb is old right? Jeff isn't old like that. At least that's what I was thinking. I didn't think the old one just bad either. Just old

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Gus was so paranoid about his offensive scheme he only hired yes men and people he had worked with before. Not surprising his paranoia carried over to players that left the program.

Cam was like his credibility in human form......I don't see how he's not your favorite person in the world.

I always wondered if the players loved Gus the way people on the board say they do why wouldn't they be around more and why didn't they voice it

Edit: he actually said cam was one of the few he would allow it's the other guys

Some added perspective:

When you hear Reese talk about getting to the NFL and learning what he DIDN'T know bc the simplicity of the former HCs offense, that's coming from a consensus All-American that won the Rimington Trophy but he went undrafted. (and that's not to throw shade on Reese) Ya think those pre-draft interviews on the marker board were fun?

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Culture at Boise was radically different. Didn't seem to be a culture at Auburn that hated losing. Said there were obviously competitive guys who hated losing, especially those actually on the field, but that attitude didn't permeate throughout the entire program. It did at Boise. At the same time, Harsin kept a balance that made being a part of the team enjoyable, despite requiring maximum effort and work ethic. He said Auburn felt like a never ending grind - repetitive, and regimented. Don't know how much JB colored that perspective, or the fact that he wasn't getting playing time at Auburn. That can be tough. 

Says Malzahn was more analytical, very detail oriented. Paid more attention to tendencies than personnel. Harsin is more personnel driven. This is in line with what we've heard about Harsin's offense being multiple, and what we already know about Gus. 

Said he thought Gus had a better approach to strength and conditioning than Harsin. Thinks Russell is one of the best strength coaches in the country. Dismukes echoed that point. He doesn't think Pittman is in touch with modern strength and conditioning. On the other hand, thinks Pittman will be excellent in developing mental toughness. Overall wished we kept Russell as S&C, but brought Pittman in some capacity for the mental aspect.

Talked about the need for Auburn to catch up in the football facilities race. Thought Boise's facilities were actually nicer than Auburn's.

Moreover, Harsin has to prove to recruits that he can develop players and place them into the NFL, something Malzahn's offense failed to do consistently, especially up front. Dismukes flat out says that he wasn't even close to being prepared for the NFL game...four run plays, two protections, etc. Adams talks about having culture shock going to Boise and having to relearn the position. Guys are taught football under Harsin, not just football plays. 

Apparently Malzahn did not let a lot of former players come back and spend time around the program. Seemed like a sore point for Dismukes. Called him paranoid about letting people get too close to the program, something else we've heard before. Harsin has already communicated that he will allow former players greater access, and did so at Boise.

Expressed concern over coaches on Malzahn relying too much on Auburn to sell itself in recruiting, instead of keeping dynamic recruiters on staff. 

I said I was going to come back and do this but you did it (much better than I could ever do it btw) I'll just add the stuff that really caught my ear or shocked me...

Said Gus wasn't great at game time decisions. 

They talked about sitting in 4hr position meetings and absolutely nothing would be accomplished. 

Talked about most important things in recruiting. Facilities and getting to the league. And we fail at both. Not just facilities are bad but horribly behind. Also said I'm not saying you need all young coaches but they are important. Pretty much saying Auburn needs to come around and understand to recruit now you need coaches the players can relate to and love being around

Talked about how bad it was just to get simple things like cleats. That you would have to beg for things. 

Nobody watched NFL tape. We weren't even interested at teaching the guys how to be pros. We aren't even showing them what being the best even looks like. No wonder we have guys on the team that evaluate themselves as being good when they aren't close at it.

Said Russell was second great strength coach I wonder who he thinks is the first.

Another podcast of former players saying we're weak and need to get tougher

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Cam was like his credibility in human form......I don't see how he's not your favorite person in the world.

He is my favorite. But, on the other hand, he is the ONLY reason Gus stayed in college football, with some help from Marshal/Trey/Robinson/Prosch.

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Some added perspective:

When you hear Reese talk about getting to the NFL and learning what he DIDN'T know bc the simplicity of the former HCs offense, that's coming from a consensus All-American that won the Rimington Trophy but he went undrafted. (and that's not to throw shade on Reese) Ya think those pre-draft interviews on the marker board were fun?

Wow I didn't even think of that.....after hearing this how laughable is it that Gus stopped Marshall from working with a guru NFL QB coach? Scared that he will come back and actually be able to read a defense? I can see why you wouldn't want him to interfere with learning the 4 plays he already knows

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Wow I didn't even think of that.....after hearing this how laughable is it that Gus stopped Marshall from working with a guru NFL QB coach? Scared that he will come back and actually be able to read a defense? I can see why you wouldn't want him to interfere with learning the 4 plays he already knows

Yeah, the whole not working with personal QB coaches was the stupidest thing ever. It's a universal thing bc it's good for development, year round. 

It's really a breath of fresh air to have a real head ball coach now and no more mickey mouse bs.

Interesting listen for sure. Especially about the S&C program

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Cliffs probably won't do it justice Taylor. When you get time listen in the car or something. So many truth bombs packed in to about 40 minutes.

Going to listen tomorrow at the gym. From what I’ve read, seems like most of our suspicions were correct on Gus. 

Archived