Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Since 2009 it is a measuring stick.   If you beat Alabama, you have a pretty good team and have probably beaten most teams on your schedule.   Until they slide down, that is the standard that you must beat in order to win championship.   Not sure why everyone has a problem understanding that.  I can guarantee that if Auburn isn’t fielding a team capable of beating Alabama, they probably are not going to consistently beat LSU, Georgia or Florida 

Well then explain how the last two times when we beat Alabama we have lost both our bowl game, never made the playoffs, or won a conference championship? Would you call that successful? If that is the standard, why the hell haven't we won a NC or even fielded a good enough team to play in the NC when we beat bama the last two times. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mikey is a good guy, but I am beginning to think that he is just messing with us about Gus. He and I are about the same age and he has seen it all in AU sports. He ain't that blind. Come clean, Mikey, you be playin' wid us,ain'tcha?

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I can guarantee that if Auburn isn’t fielding a team capable of beating Alabama, they probably are not going to consistently beat LSU, Georgia or Florida

This was *exactly* what people were so frustrated by and why Gus needed to go. We had teams capable of beating Alabama and did beat them. At the same time we still managed to lose 4 games per year and embarrass ourselves in a bowl game most years. Thank goodness Gus is gone. I hope that we can set the bar higher than what Gus numbed us into accepting. And, I hope we can quit talking about Gus for awhile and objectively review his mediocrity sometime in the distant future.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well then explain how the last two times when we beat Alabama we have lost both our bowl game, never made the playoffs, or won a conference championship? Would you call that successful? If that is the standard, why the hell haven't we won a NC or even fielded a good enough team to play in the NC when we beat bama the last two times. 

Easy.  I don’t think teams really care about bowl games anymore unless you are a team that doesn’t usually go or you feel like you have something to prove.   

2017 team was capable of winning the SEC and possibly NC if KJ doesn’t get hurt.  You do know that Georgia and Alabama were the two best teams in the country that year, right?   

As for 2019, Auburn got lucky and beat Bama with 14 points coming from INT’s, plus Tua had gotten hurt and didn’t even play.    If he had played, they probably win by three scores.   

Lastly, your missing the point of having a good team.   Right now, if you can’t field a team capable of beating Bama your probably not gonna beat Georgia either.    

14 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Easy.  I don’t think teams really care about bowl games anymore unless you are a team that doesn’t usually go or you feel like you have something to prove.   

2017 team was capable of winning the SEC and possibly NC if KJ doesn’t get hurt.  You do know that Georgia and Alabama were the two best teams in the country that year, right?   

As for 2019, Auburn got lucky and beat Bama with 14 points coming from INT’s, plus Tua had gotten hurt and didn’t even play.    If he had played, they probably win by three scores.   

Lastly, your missing the point of having a good team.   Right now, if you can’t field a team capable of beating Bama your probably not gonna beat Georgia either.    

LMAO. Alabama who we beat in 2019 cared about their bowl game. If are measure is them then why we would we not care?

In 2017,You do know we loss to LSU, a team who didn’t even end up ranked that year right ? We also loss to Clemson. So if Bama was a NC team and that was is your SOLE barometer, how did we already have two losses before playing them? More over, how did we lose two more games after beating them? 

Oh we got lucky now? Man you aren’t making any damn sense. The whole point is you can’t use one freaking team as a measure of success. We beat Bama and UGA in 2017 and we still loss to LSU and Clemson, didn’t make the playoffs , didn’t win a NC, so what is exactly your point? We beat Bama in 2019 and loss to UGA, LSU, UF and Minnesota. Again what is your point? 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

LMAO. Alabama who we beat in 2019 cared about their bowl game. If are measure is them then why we would we not care?

In 2017,You do know we loss to LSU, a team who didn’t even end up ranked that year right ? We also loss to Clemson. So if Bama was a NC team and that was is your SOLE barometer, how did we already have two losses before playing them? More over, how did we lose two more games after beating them? 

Oh we got lucky now? Man you aren’t making any damn sense. The whole point is you can’t use one freaking team as a measure of success. We beat Bama and UGA in 2017 and we still loss to LSU and Clemson, didn’t make the playoffs , didn’t win a NC, so what is exactly your point? We beat Bama in 2019 and loss to UGA, LSU, UF and Minnesota. Again what is your point? 

First, it’s lost not loss.   And you can actually say as a fan, that 2019 wasn’t lucky???   If you can’t see that if you don’t field a team with capable talent to consistently beat Alabama, your probably not going to beat Georgia either.   

And, if bowl games mattered so much, how come players opt out now??? It’s ridiculous to  try and relate bowl games now to bowl games in years past.    

And the final reason that AU lost all those games was because it had a subpar coach 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It became time for a change when he still didn't head the program upward this past season. A solid 10-1 season with a bowl win and he would have earned staying on a while longer.

The facilities cannot be blamed on Coach Malzahn. He pledged $2 million of his own money to the project. Look at the Board of Trustees for that failing.

This thread was started with quotes from a disgruntled former player that couldn't cut it at Auburn, moved on and now wants to criticize. Hardly the most reliable of sources.

I’m not sure Reese Dismukes would be considered disgruntled. Also, because Adams transferred doesn’t negate anything he said and is also confirmation of what many others from the program have stated. It didn’t sound, in my opinion, that he was insulting Gus but was stating more matter of factly.

Gus was in over his head and with proper management of his relationships with the money people, he’d have had the money donated that was needed to upgrade the facilities to at least a competitive level. He was so overly paranoid he wouldn’t let his coordinators and position coaches offer scholarships or even have a full compliment of staffers to properly recruit.

It’s incredible that AUburn recruited in the top 10-15 short handed. I think it speaks to the potential that exists. It’s no secret I never wanted Gus hired at AUburn but after he was hired I wanted so badly for him to be successful and take AUburn to meteoric levels. He wasn’t capable and is more suited for an Arkansas State, Tulane, Southern Miss type job. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't reply to you. If you make something up I can certainly talk on it just not to you. This is a forum. I let the other people who may not have listened as I have the truth as opposed to a fabrication?

But do you have permission to reply to me?

No, that's not how the instructions went. However, since you aren't following the rules as laid down by an Admin here, I don't suppose I'm bound by them either. Still doing your one trick pony prance, I see.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

No, that's not how the instructions went. However, since you aren't following the rules as laid down by an Admin here, I don't suppose I'm bound by them either. Still doing your one trick pony prance, I see.

I don't know what instructions you are referring too. I do know you jumping the gun trying to do this is old. But I read false information and I stated correct info which it looks like other people did after me...... but I didn't say ANYTHING to you. And that's what I agreed to do, not say anything to you.

Whatever your instructions are is your. But I don't think I'm too far off when I say I doubt you are any authority to tell anybody no or yes about anything. 

As far as the one trick pony statement I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and I assume you don't either

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

It’s incredible that AUburn recruited in the top 10-15 short handed.

Every p5 school is allowed 10 on-field coaches. Those 10, plus the head coach, are the only athletic department employees that are allowed to recruit off campus. The numbers are the same for everybody and nobody is short handed. Where did you get the idea that AU recruits short handed?

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But I don't think I'm too far off when I say I doubt you are any authority to tell anybody no or yes about anything. 

I'm not telling anybody anything. The Admin told us both something. You didn't follow it. There, that's fairly simple.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not telling anybody anything. The Admin told us both something. You didn't follow it. There, that's fairly simple.

That's not true you can try to manipulate or control however you want to but I didn't say anything to you. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Every p5 school is allowed 10 on-field coaches. Those 10, plus the head coach, are the only athletic department employees that are allowed to recruit off campus. The numbers are the same for everybody and nobody is short handed. Where did you get the idea that AU recruits short handed?

Comparatively under resourced— how’s that?

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

As many have stated here, Gus didn’t use every resource available to him to include analyst and such. It was pointed out that the size of the the recruiting department/efforts at uga, ua, ... etc were much larger and in depth. 

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Well I'm still here............long live golf

There’s a least one poster that is waiting patiently. :poke:

3 hours ago, aubearcat said:

As many have stated here, Gus didn’t use every resource available to him to include analyst and such. It was pointed out that the size of the the recruiting department/efforts at uga, ua, ... etc were much larger and in depth. 

I’m sure this is true, but Once again another failure to get this team to consistent and competitive level. He thought he knew it all and thought his 4 plays would work . Not one person on this board should ever take up for Gus. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Are you purposely acting a fool?  
It is obvious that everyone is talking about recruiting staff.  The more guys you have on staff the more they are able to keep in contact on social media platforms, the number one means of recruiting now.

Coincidently it is also another major factor in the failures of this last recruiting cycle, which had many adding up in all fairness.

I don't really buy into the "former players were not welcome back at Auburn" statement.  Everything else said is believable.  You have former players come back all of the time to workout at Auburn.  Daniel Carlson comes back every summer.  DeShaun Davis and Tre Williams still work out at Auburn.  At the games you also see former players all over the sidelines from many generations.

Now if you are a player that transferred out to another program, I could see that where you wouldn't be welcome back as it would be a distraction to the team.  Everything else is believable.

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:
10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Expand  

Are you purposely acting a fool?

The answer is, of course, “Yes”

12 hours ago, fredst said:

This was *exactly* what people were so frustrated by and why Gus needed to go. We had teams capable of beating Alabama and did beat them. At the same time we still managed to lose 4 games per year and embarrass ourselves in a bowl game most years. Thank goodness Gus is gone. I hope that we can set the bar higher than what Gus numbed us into accepting. And, I hope we can quit talking about Gus for awhile and objectively review his mediocrity sometime in the distant future.

I can't imagine any of us accepting the situation.  I was so Gustrated with the program it wasn't enjoyable. The situation was not going to change any time soon. Thank you Leath and Jacobs.  Only thing left to do was find something else to do. Most I know became apathetic and walked away like I did.

4 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Gustrated

I love this because it works as an alternative both to frustrated and to another word, when applied to our offensive players, similar to "neutered". 

Archived