Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes. I think recruiting is just effort when you're a head coach. You just get on the phone at the right time and show up at the right time and say I want you......it's like when a doctor have nurses and techs to set up and do everything and they come in and look at results and say I like what I see or I don't. 

They set the recruits up just make a few trips and phone calls and knock them down. 

It's absolutely ridiculous the talent wasted in North West Alabama. That guard for Alabama is from Decatur was a 3 star and he didn't  have an offer from us.....didn't give up a sack his entire career.  You can't miss on guys like that. And when I say miss I mean you have to try. I know they are who they are but you can't willingly just give them guys. That makes you look like you don't believe in your own damn school!

I like this post a lot....but, as a physician, I’m somewhat offended by it at the same time, lol

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fredst said:

I like this post a lot....but, as a physician, I’m somewhat offended by it at the same time, lol

Don't worry, Mike Bro-bro, we know who pays the malpractice insurance. 

14 hours ago, chizhead said:

I wonder if Gus, after signing the big contract, got complacent and lost his edge. I don't really think he deliberately stopped trying to compete, he's too high character for that, but there was obviously something wrong with the lack of concern over recruiting and infrastructure

Nah....if you listen to the whole podcast (page 1), you will learn a lot about the inside of Gus' staff and how they were handcuffed and the culture.   Things got stale and for good reason.

I didn't want to listen because I knew I would be disappointed, but it is equally a great listen as we learn more about Harsin.   

ACTUALLY - I am 100% convinced Harsin is gonna be a tremendous coach!   Give this podcast a listen.  If you disagree, I will buy you a burger.   I just hope and pray the PTB don't drive him off.   

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

You know when I sat and thought about it, I really did wonder did Gus give up. He knows he has to have good players to compete. The LAST thing you'd think is he wouldn't be good at recruiting. I would be bad at X's and O's before I would be bad or at least stop trying to recruit. 

Is it possible he felt that his scheme could overcome average players?  From all indications, it appears he didn't worry about getting mismatches and using personnel to gain advantage based on the defense given. That's classic Gus. Stubborn to a fault. Arrogant?   He used to use the wheel route to get a back on a LB (mismatch) but that play kinda went by the wayside in later years. 

2 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Is it possible he felt that his scheme could overcome average players?  From all indications, it appears he didn't worry about getting mismatches and using personnel to gain advantage based on the defense given. That's classic Gus. Stubborn to a fault. Arrogant?   He used to use the wheel route to get a back on a LB (mismatch) but that play kinda went by the wayside in later years. 

Bottom line, the poor guy (well the super wealthy guy) failed to adjust and evolve over the years.  He chose to ignore certain areas which bit him in the ass. Then the pressure from coaching in the hardest conference and strongest division in the country just made him paranoid to a fault.

There are a lot of things Gus is good at, he was just in over his head for this level of coaching and I stated such several years back.  Lesson learned by all involved though as AU would likely never pin themselves down to a contract like they gave him.  AND I'd bet Gus has learned a lot about things and will probably lighten up and be much more open in his future coaching jobs.  

3 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Why would he though. When has he done it with average players? Have major success that is?

On 1/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, keesler said:

Why couldn't some of our players now in the pro's get the attention of their NFL coaches and open a few doors for those NFL coaches to come to camps at AU? 

Ok, think about what you said and pretend you are Gus Malzahn. Cam Newton struggled in NFL interviews or with Gruden because well, Gus. Receivers don't know how to read defenses, your center can't identify defensive fronts and make adjustments. Now you're going to invite NFL coaches in to expose you TREMENDOUS ignorance of football X's and O's. Get real.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, aubaseball said:

Easy.  I don’t think teams really care about bowl games anymore unless you are a team that doesn’t usually go or you feel like you have something to prove.

Hopefully, Coach Harsin is about to drop the Hammer on that type of thinking. EVERY GAME, EVERY PLAY, EVERY REP in practice matters. Believe it or pick splinters out of your worthless butt. At least that's what I hope.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Hopefully, Coach Harsin is about to drop the Hammer on that type of thinking. EVERY GAME, EVERY PLAY, EVERY REP in practice matters. Believe it or pick splinters out of your worthless butt. At least that's what I hope.

I do believe and hope that CBH will change the attitude of the team, but I believe the cat is out of bag when it comes to bowl games 

Archived