Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Yep, we get guys that have all the tools and measurables and then under Coach Malzahn, they basically devolve into square pegs being jammed into round holes until the edges that made them what they are break off of them and they become a poorly crafted psuedo-circle. That's an egregious misuse of talent.

Right, like all of a sudden an RB could only run a wheel route and do nothing else.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Barnacle said:

😂

But seriously

You see what I'm saying. You can't strike out. You need at least 1 of the 2. You can't have trash facilities, and not send guys to the league

You have to have one so they say well at least I have this.....

We constantly say uga and bammer buy people which they may do but that's for advantages over Ohio st, Clemson, etc. 

For us they can just offer some shoes and a happy meal 😂

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

No Texas Routes, Swing Outs, Out and Ups, nothing...

I'm old enough to remember this spring that we were gonna see some Option routes from the RB.  Maybe a pass over the middle.  Where tha F was that?

I'm so glad Gus is gone.  I don't care if it's gonna be a brutal learning curve for a year

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm not hating but just saying the facilities was bad is sort of under selling it. They said the facilities are back dated like 10 years.....they had to beg for things like cleats.....can you imagine being a big time player here and literally your rival has the best of the best??? To me it's not about recruiting anymore, we literally weren't trying

THIS. They even hit on the fact that they thought the successes on the field (2010, 2013, 2017) would lead to more money for facilities upgrades and such BUT it just never came. 

It's an huge issue with our boosters and athletic department. Shameful, really is, how far we've fallen.

Keep beating that equipment drum, too. It's past time to revisit the Under Armour situation. I'm sure Bruce won't mind, either.

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

THIS. They even hit on the fact that they thought the successes on the field (2010, 2013, 2017) would lead to more money for facilities upgrades and such BUT it just never came. 

It's an huge issue with our boosters and athletic department. Shameful, really is, how far we've fallen.

Keep beating that equipment drum, too. It's past time to revisit the Under Armour situation. I'm sure Bruce won't mind, either.

Where is all the money going? We're stingy about everything at Auburn....I feel like somebody is pocketing it

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Feel like we did some incremental improvements, but never did anything really great like the new facility.  New locker rooms in the stadium, new indoor facility, new football only weight room

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Where is all the money going? We're stingy about everything at Auburn....I feel like somebody is pocketing it

i would guess Buyouts   

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a damn good question. As you know, major upgrades take donations, and Gus was the scapegoat for quite awhile as to why the boosters didn't want to donate. That's failed logic to me, but hey I don't have millions. 

The flow of simple equipment and extra clothing is a whole other ball of wax. Is it the contract with UA or the department that's skimpy? As long as Tim Jackson is still around I don't trust that there's zero funny business. 

A lot we can take from this, but the bottom line is:

Facilities at Boise State, much nicer than they are in Auburn. Are you kidding me?

After a national championship in 2010, and runner-up in 2013, still no major facility upgrades. This explains it all.

We really have some catching up to do!

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like we did some incremental improvements, but never did anything really great like the new facility.  New locker rooms in the stadium, new indoor facility, new football only weight room

And that brings us back to Jay Jacobs never having a plan, just simply piecemealing in "upgrades". We needed to rethink and rebuild.

32 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

No Texas Routes, Swing Outs, Out and Ups, nothing...

Been screaming that for years!

For years all we did was max protect.  How dangerous would KJ, KMart, MAR, and Shivers been on Slide, Texas, stab, flats, and seam routes 

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Facilities at Boise State, much nicer than they are in Auburn. Are you kidding me?

After a national championship in 2010, and runner-up in 2013, still no major facility upgrades. This explains it all.

which is amazing since when i was there it always felt like we never stopped building things around the campus. 

Not liking that S&C hire. The biggest hire Saban made last year was getting rid of Cochran and brought in guys who were more up to date with S&C and technology.

Idgaf about your mental toughness when you’re on the sidelines on crutches or in a boot because the S&C coach is still running things like it’s the 90’s

10 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Yes. This is an example of two head coaches in a row not having any idea about the concept of political capital, and how it can be spent. They could get Jimmy Sexton negotiate raises and extensions for them, but not increases their assistant, staff, or facilities budgets, etc.

Just clueless. Not Power 5 material. One would think Chizik would have figured it out when he was at Texas.

Billy Napier at ULL negotiated increases in staff, equipment, and snack budgets. Those little things, in a Group of 5 program, set his program apart. In the Group of 5, it is a $3 protein bar. In the Power 5, it is a barber shop in the football-only facility.

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

which is amazing since when i was there it always felt like we never stopped building things around the campus. 

Tubberville was the first coach I remember basically pleading for a modern football only facility... stated we’re not keeping pace with our rivals, etc. etc. maybe coach Dye and Terry Bowden were saying the same things??.. Tubbs is just the first one I remember.

We have been hearing for years that a beautiful football only facility is coming, major stadium upgrades are coming etc. etc. Looks like we are at least finally breaking ground on the football facility and we do have a giant scoreboard?? We will just have to see how it all plays out.

With all of this said, it is amazing that Gus fairly consistently finished in the top 10 or top 12 in recruiting. Of course the problem is/was Alabama, Georgia and LSU were usually in the top five.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Been screaming that for years!

For years all we did was max protect.  How dangerous would KJ, KMart, MAR, and Shivers been on Slide, Texas, stab, flats, and seam routes 

Gus wasn't interested in stressing defenses. 

9 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

So true, looks so different from even when I graduated in 2010. Everything except athletic facilities., but we've got a big as TV held up by an erector set sitting next to a double-wide on stilts.

2 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

I hate the big TV. It totally changes the game experience, for the worse, imo.

bet the recruits like their picture on it when visiting. 

26 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

It's a damn good question. As you know, major upgrades take donations, and Gus was the scapegoat for quite awhile as to why the boosters didn't want to donate. That's failed logic to me, but hey I don't have millions. 

The flow of simple equipment and extra clothing is a whole other ball of wax. Is it the contract with UA or the department that's skimpy? As long as Tim Jackson is still around I don't trust that there's zero funny business. 

When I was working with 2 of the major 3 abiut a decade ago, there would be 100s of shoes and shirts and shorts and jackets stuck in storage that they couldn't use for official s*** after 1 year that admin, support staff, etc would raid. Even after players and staff would ask for something like shoes or required clothing getting worn out. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

can you imagine being a big time player here and literally your rival has the best of the best??? To me it's not about recruiting anymore, we literally weren't trying

I was against hiring Gus from the beginning due to seeing his offensive weaknesses in 2011. Personnel groupings and formation  typically gave away the play but his fast pace kept defenses from reacting accordingly. Of course when Fatty and Snake got the sub rules changed, it left Gus naked. Even though I was relieved when Gus was fired, I had no animosity toward him as a person and still don't, but just "damn!" I heard stuff on that yesterday that was bizarre,even for Gus. What I heard was evidence of insecurity by Gus and his need to constantly prove himself to hide the obvious fact that he was over his head. He didn't want anybody but pool boys on offense so his lack of football knowledge would not be exposed. It was shocking to listen to this, even for me, and beyond anything that I expected to hear...Begging for cleats?...Players should sue Gus

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hate to say it, but it's been a common criticism of Gus for years. 

I believe that he did have a genuine desire to do right by his players on a personal level, but he loved nothing nearly so much as himself when it came to football. 

I am not sure why many are surprised. His foundation in coaching is from the HS level. The only major HC’s he worked under was Nutt (briefly) guy at Tulsa, and Chizik. For the most part he has an offensive philosophy he thinks he invented/created and he is anchored in it. So he was going to live and die by it. Remember the interview Cam gave with Gruden, and how he described a play in Malzahn’s system. Kinda mirrors what was said in the interview. He was arrogant to a fault IMO. He could not evolve and probably was not going to listen to anyone when it came to his offense. If he would have I think he possibly could have had more consistency and success here. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Overly large AD was colllecting money and doing nothing under the good ole boy and when the new guy came in he took away their allowance of good ole boy contracts by mandating a 10 % cut across the board to cut waste and send a message to everyone.  Almost every project was half assed done at a cost that was worth half the value.  Handing out contract gifts to buddies for athletic projects.  JJ made a bunch of people extra rich at the expense of quality improvements for Auburn.

A lot of good info but really mostly things we already knew or suspected. Also, have to take it in context. This is one guy's experience - a guy who didn't even get on the field. I'm not saying I doubt anything he said, but I'm sure other opinions from other players would differ. I'm not accepting something a couple guys said as gospel, but it is informative.  The main thing is the facilities which we knew, and Gus stuff, which we knew. I didn't really hear any earth shattering. If you did, you haven't been paying attention.

Archived