Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

A lot of good info but really mostly things we already knew or suspected. Also, have to take it in context. This is one guy's experience - a guy who didn't even get on the field. I'm not saying I doubt anything he said, but I'm sure other opinions from other players would differ. I'm not accepting something a couple guys said as gospel, but it is informative.  The main thing is the facilities which we knew, and Gus stuff, which we knew. I didn't really hear any earth shattering.

No not just a guy who didn't get on field. A team captain an all American center and another all SEC guard

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at not being surprised. Well I feel I'm more connected to the players than most and I'm absolutely appalled they have to beg for gear.....lame gear at that.....it's hilarious how some don't get how big it is....you want them to eat sleep live football but can't even provide them the best equipment....don't teach them the game.....then have the audacity to expect championships 😂

I'm trying to find the perks of being a big time football player and why you would want to play for Auburn? Especially an o line,wr, or QB.

I figured we didn't have state of the art but I thought we were competitive to other big time schools. Didn't know we were treating them like they were at a juco

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I appreciate the personal experience of a player that played at BSU under CBH. Great information to potential recruits that helps build on his reputation that they might not know due proximity to the program he came from.  Some of this information/opinions don’t make sense to me and just feels like unnecessary “piling on” on a coach in our past ( so just move on rather than defame). I am very grateful Gus left only because of 2nd tier success in the West (compare his record for the total time he was here) rather than a forced resignation due to obvious “improper benefits “ to players (Dye). One example of inconsistencies would be that Gus’s S&C coach was “better” than Pitman will be, when one of the consistent observations by many posters is that our lines (both sides) were weak and needed to be stronger.

Sometimes it’s not just strength, but mental toughness that will win the day.   It’s the Navy Seals mentality

Hearing this, and how fundamentally behind, and borderline incompetent, our staff was, it seems quite amazing that we could come together and beat Bama and UGA in 2017, and Bama last year (2019). It’s almost like the 2019 Iron Bowl, Malzahn and Cox showed up in a Ford Pinto and won the Daytona 500...

1 minute ago, rexbo said:

Hearing this, and how fundamentally behind, and borderline incompetent, our staff was, it seems quite amazing that we could come together and beat Bama and UGA in 2017, and Bama last year (2019). It’s almost like the 2019 Iron Bowl, Malzahn and Cox showed up in a Ford Pinto and won the Daytona 500...

I'm convinced the only games Gus schemed for and tried really really hard were Iron Bowls in JHS, the UGA 2017 game, and every time we played Arkansas.

4 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Sounded to me like Pitman was focusing on basic lifts like deadlift and squat, which is fine if you want to focus mainly on strength; but that Russell had many more innovative approaches to strength AND conditioning AND overall health.

Technique and “game plans” can be learned and modified if someone is open-minded to change. Mindset and mental toughness aren’t easily modified though

I think the only reason Gus gave saban problems the times he did was because he thought Gus was teaching his players. They probably over thunk some things.

Stuff like we're going to do this and they should have this reaction because a qb will read this and do that. But our guys didn't know to do it in the first place so stuff didn't work lol

13 minutes ago, rexbo said:

It is freakin hilarious to me that Malzahn's record is 3-5 vs. satan. The greatest coach in all the world barely has a winning record against a high school coach running a high school program. It is inexplicable, really. 

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think the only reason Gus gave saban problems the times he did was because he thought Gus was teaching his players. They probably over thunk some things.

Stuff like we're going to do this and they should have this reaction because a qb will read this and do that. But our guys didn't know to do it in the first place so stuff didn't work lol

I don’t believe that logic came off a “logic tree”.

3 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

This pretty much confirms what I figured THE ENTIRE TIME.

I don't expect any vindication on the front of QB and personnel decisions but whatever. People always say "tHe CoACheS eValUAte tAlENT" and "pLaYErs tRANsFer & DoNT dO aNYthInG sO tHEy wErENt aNy gOod."

Coach Malzahn is pretty much what we thought he was. A madden player that schemes up mechanics and a specific system but not a TRUE football type. Madden players are good at little niches like Nano-Blitzes, animations, exploits in the game, but ask them anything about football etc.

There are very many players that probably transferred to schools that have real systems that rely on football adjustments and knowledge to basically run the system and they fall behind. This all pretty much adds up and to think how much talent we just hemorrhaged as well as the WRs that just declared for the draft and may be completely behind the 8-ball....

Man.

May be?

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

With all of this said, it is amazing that Gus fairly consistently finished in the top 10 or top 12 in recruiting. Of course the problem is/was Alabama, Georgia and LSU were usually in the top five.

Which raises the question: If we had better facilities, would be have been at 5 or 6 in recruiting, instead of 10-12?

It is clear Auburn sells Auburn. It is equally clear there are a handful of things we can do that other programs do, to better our recruiting.

Something tells me the 2021 season may be trash...if our offensive players are going to have such a huge learning curve to grasp the new systems and terminology.

59 minutes ago, rexbo said:

Auburn is a sleeping giant that just needs to be woke up..

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Something tells me the 2021 season may be trash...if our offensive players are going to have such a huge learning curve to grasp the new systems and terminology.

Wow I didn't even think about that....good point

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Without the Ws from the refs this year, the record was trash. The team looked awful in many cases. I think a new coach will bring some fire to the team, but I'm definitely tempering my expectations for the next couple of years. We've been on a downward trend, and a lot of what needs fixing are not overnight fixes. Yeah, we have a new staff, but they are coaches, not magicians.

A full complete football education. Our opponents have been teaching it. We weren't. I can understand where it becomes a "grind" and regimented, and no longer fun when you're running the same 4 plays over and over again, and the opponent knows how to stop it better than you know how to run it. Then our guys show up at NFL combines and camps behind the curve. Sad. This mostly applies to the offensive side, because the defensive side has been better coached.

1 hour ago, rexbo said:

The 2019 Iron Bowl was won due to 2 defensive INTs for touchdowns, not due to whatever car Malzahn and Nix (you said Cox but 8 think you meant Nix) showed up in for the Daytona 500. 

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

This is going to make some of ya'll angry...at least, it should make you angry...

It does make me angry, but I can't say I'm surprised.  

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

This is going to make some of ya'll angry...at least, it should make you angry...

This is what happens when you have an apathetic donor base. If the program starts moving in the right trajectory, I hope we see more funding roll in. Hopefully, Harsin will start asking for the things he needs, and we do everything we can to accommodate him. 

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Ok a couple of things I don't understand....

Auburn ranks as a top 10 program or thereabouts in funding.   

How are we so lacking in recruiting budgeting and facilities?   this makes zero sense to me.

26 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Outside of travel, what's there to spend an extra million on? Serious question... 

Do they do expensive things on campus thst we are cheap on? Coaches flying private vs commercial?  Staying in nice hotels vs Auburn coaches in a Rosebud motel? 

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Outside of travel, what's there to spend an extra million on? Serious question... 

Do they do expensive things on campus thst we are cheap on? Coaches flying private vs commercial?  Staying in nice hotels vs Auburn coaches in a Rosebud motel? 

I was wondering the same thing? Like....where is that much of a difference going towards? Maybe we are under estimating just how basic our recruiting has been under Gus. The old staff may have still been on a Nationwide 900 minute calling plan and 500 text. Everything over that is $0.10 per. He couldn't even bump it up the friends and family...meh

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm really shocked at some of the stuff. We alienate former players? Why would you be paranoid about former players?

Why won't the school spend money on the football program but have all these high expectations?

The War Repport on youtube mentions this same thing coming from Courtney Taylor. Taylor is training kids to be prepared for college play and was trying to give Auburn an early chance to recruit #1 receiver in 2021 Emeka Egbuka. Auburn (Kodi) didnt even call him back until way too late. 

Archived