Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Outside of travel, what's there to spend an extra million on? Serious question... 

Do they do expensive things on campus thst we are cheap on? Coaches flying private vs commercial?  Staying in nice hotels vs Auburn coaches in a Rosebud motel? 

A couple of folks on the recruiting forum say bama's recruiting staff is much bigger than ours...maybe that figure counts staff wages?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

The War Repport on youtube mentions this same thing coming from Courtney Taylor. Taylor is training kids to be prepared for college play and was trying to give Auburn an early chance to recruit #1 receiver in 2021 Emeka Egbuka. Auburn (Kodi) didnt even call him back until way too late. 

Kodi not calling someone like CT back? If this is true , wow. Relationships is the biggest thing in terms of recruiting 

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Not liking that S&C hire. The biggest hire Saban made last year was getting rid of Cochran and brought in guys who were more up to date with S&C and technology.

Idgaf about your mental toughness when you’re on the sidelines on crutches or in a boot because the S&C coach is still running things like it’s the 90’s

This is completely wrong.  Cochran took an on field position with Georgia.   He was probably the best strength and conditioning coach in the conference 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Completely accurate. Stidham was the best example to me. In terms of completion percentage and TD to Int ratio, his best season was as a true freshman at Baylor. Numbers decreased his first year under Gus, then decreased more his second year. Left Gus and was deemed skilled enough to be drafted by HOFer coach Belicheck. Similarly, Jeremy Johnson looked great as a freshman, solid as a sophomore, and by year 3 was a train wreck. So happy for the Harsin era. War Eagle 🦅 

I wonder if that was the reason Stidham had that kinda 'whatever' attitude- the shock of discovering it was all bullsh#t. He would have seen plenty of non-bush#t at Baylor. The evidence just keeps piling up.

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

A couple of folks on the recruiting forum say bama's recruiting staff is much bigger than ours...maybe that figure counts staff wages?

That could be it. 

Hopefully Harsin beefs up our entire off the field operations. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

The War Repport on youtube mentions this same thing coming from Courtney Taylor. Taylor is training kids to be prepared for college play and was trying to give Auburn an early chance to recruit #1 receiver in 2021 Emeka Egbuka. Auburn (Kodi) didnt even call him back until way too late. 

I have not yet listened to that episode, but my friend called me from Mississippi all pissed off about this. This doesn't even begin to make sense. Was it Burns? Or was it Gus being all arrogant about accepting help? Knowing what we know now, it just ain't no telling what happened. If C. Taylor calls, you return the damn call as soon as possible. Not being active on this was just damned stupid!

3 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

It is freakin hilarious to me that Malzahn's record is 3-5 vs. satan. The greatest coach in all the world barely has a winning record against a high school coach running a high school program. It is inexplicable, really. 

You almost don't want to give Malzahn any credit for those wins any longer based on how handicapped our team was.  The old saying it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's.  It sounds to me that those players put it all out there and won those games with heart. Add in some big breaks/calls going our way. Also, some game-time decisions by bammer (Kick 6 coverage by the Max Protect FG unit).

20 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is completely wrong.  Cochran took an on field position with Georgia.   He was probably the best strength and conditioning coach in the conference 

He took an on field position with UGA because Saban wouldn’t give him one. Cochran definitely wasn’t the best S&C coach in the SEC, not close actually. He was just the most known

Ask Bama fans what they think about him, he was past his prime. The whole team was getting injured with him at the helm

2 hours ago, Britt in GA said:

You almost don't want to give Malzahn any credit for those wins any longer based on how handicapped our team was.  The old saying it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's.  It sounds to me that those players put it all out there and won those games with heart. Add in some big breaks/calls going our way. Also, some game-time decisions by bammer (Kick 6 coverage by the Max Protect FG unit).

Yeah, I think the intensity of the rivalry is probably the main reason for the wins, but then that makes the thuga record even more frustrating.

That was the reality podcast . Our program has been getting further and further behind . I can and can’t believe what I heard . Absolutely wasted the last several years

I guess this may explain why Gus is so oblivious to the correct use of the TE.  Never sees it.

Just sit and watch an afternoon of NFL and the TE's that are killing it week after week. Wow, why can't Gus catch on? Well, now we know.

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think so jb is old right? Jeff isn't old like that. At least that's what I was thinking. I didn't think the old one just bad either. Just old

Makes me ashamed to be old. Bummer.

4 hours ago, chizhead said:

I have not yet listened to that episode, but my friend called me from Mississippi all pissed off about this. This doesn't even begin to make sense. Was it Burns? Or was it Gus being all arrogant about accepting help? Knowing what we know now, it just ain't no telling what happened. If C. Taylor calls, you return the damn call as soon as possible. Not being active on this was just damned stupid!

When your head coach is ok with a 6-4 year, you soon will be, also. SMDH

On a positive, I can not wait to see what AU is going to do in the next couple of years. They were still able to recruit the players they did and have some very good teams with a dang high school offense and very questionable management. What can they do with a better head coach, new facilities, better development by assistance and the backing of ex players? 

On 1/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, cole256 said:

I knew it. I knew it though. It's taking everything in me not to tag some people. I just want to scream I told you and pin it at the top of this forum. 

Our guys didn't know stuff. The uga game I told y'all Bo couldn't identify the Mike linebacker. He wasn't taught that stuff......you can look and tell and if I can you know what the corners and safety on the field was doing. 

We were babies mentally

Nailed it- i never wanted to believe that gus kept it as simple as he did but you cant deny it when the proof is there in the field. Some of the things these guys say im a little shocked at. My dad is a hs fb coach and i know these things. 

on the bright side- my two takeaways are- the guys will be more mentally tough and theyll know how to read a defense. 

i would look for Auburn to face a STEEP learning curve in all facets. The game will be extremely fast to them at first. If they stick with it ab game 6 or so we should really see the lights come on and the team to start playing good all around ball. Thats the toughest part of our schedule but it should make for some fun. 

Just listened this afternoon. This was great to hear and completely frustrating. I'm so glad Gus is gone. I'm sure his principles of keeping it simple and let players focus on a fewer things may have worked for a while, but it didn't translate once others picked up on our offense, did not translate to the NFL and other programs. And didn't translate over the years with different players and recruiting. We were caught in a catch-22 because people didn't want to build a facilities for an 8-5 coach. That being said I've been really disappointed in the designs I've seen outside of the Jordan Hare images I saw on for the North side. My design sensibility isn't conservative though. I think they've not given free reign to the right design team and everything has seemed really tame. I am digressing but the aesethics go a long way. The fact that Boise St has better facilities than us is so surprising and eyebrow raising.

The most glaring remarks that caught me were about the winning attitude that Boise St has over Auburn. They say we don't lose on the Blue. They defend their home turf.  SEC fans and Auburn fans look down their noses at other schools and Mountain West BSU, but that is glaring that they don't accept losing. They work, hard but have fun working. I'm so happy that we have Coach Harsin to help instill that attitude at Auburn. I can't wait for our players to come back and be a Part of the program and fraternity again and get to work. We Have alot to learn and we should be humbled to have this new staff. And we have not even played a game yet.

War Eagle.

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Start listening at the 25:25 mark. 

Thanks for sharing. Didn't know about this show but it's great! 

13 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Something tells me the 2021 season may be trash...if our offensive players are going to have such a huge learning curve to grasp the new systems and terminology.

Good coaching can fix that quickly

13 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Their athletic department is swimming in cash. I wouldn't doubt they have many contractors across the country looking for kids with specific athletic and personal requirements to feed their program. 

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Seems like that would be the assigned recruiter of the area rather than the head coach which should have followed up.

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

AU fans were fine with 6-4 for years, it's just that 6-4 masqueraded as 8-5, or 9-4 thanks to those buy-a-wins.  The defense of Gus for so long was truly maddening and it made me sad what the fanbase overall was willing to tolerate.

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Seems like that would be the assigned recruiter of the area rather than the head coach which should have followed up.

It all trickles down...

14 hours ago, chizhead said:

Can you imagine, these days, anyone not calling back when a damn phone is all but glued to people’s hands 98% of the time? 

No excuse.

Archived