Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

On 1/22/2021 at 12:08 AM, GwillMac6 said:

No one thought jeff grimes couldn't recruit lol. He brought in the best OL classes AU has ever had in the star era. OL recruiting has-been terrible since he left. I will always remember he turned down the texas OL job after the natty year. The one and only time mack brown didn't poach a coach from us 🤣😂.

Yea Grimes recruited those guys that blocked for Mason when we were just running for 500 yards a game  in 2013. 😂

I miss Jeff Grimes and wish we could have brought him in as the OC, if for nothing else, for his OL development and recruiting. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Randy4AU said:

The 2019 Iron Bowl was won due to 2 defensive INTs for touchdowns, not due to whatever car Malzahn and Nix (you said Cox but 8 think you meant Nix) showed up in for the Daytona 500. 

You're right, Nix.  Three letter 'x' names are confusing to me.  And also about the 2 INTs; it takes a LOT of luck to be able to win any auto race with an inferior car...

17 hours ago, Britt in GA said:

Also, some game-time decisions by bammer (Kick 6 coverage by the Max Protect FG unit).

So, Gus calling time out and putting Davis back there with a return team didn't matter? Tuberville, in the broadcast booth, said that was the smartest coaching decision he'd ever seen.

Pick sixes or not, the '19 Iron Bowl wouldn't have been won without exceptional coaching decisions at the end of the first half and end of the game.

I know kicking a dead horse is fun, but lets keep it somewhat real. Not everything Gus did was bad.

19 hours ago, Barnacle said:

This is what happens when you have an apathetic donor base. If the program starts moving in the right trajectory, I hope we see more funding roll in. Hopefully, Harsin will start asking for the things he needs, and we do everything we can to accommodate him. 

No the money is there its just not being applied adequately. In Tuscaloosa Saban had demands and they met them. Auburn has never given a football coach full autonomy since Dye. I mean Gus wanted the football facility and forked over a million to it. Imo he should not have to do that. I believe a lot of the problems with the program were not only related to coaching but administrative as well.

13 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

I guess this may explain why Gus is so oblivious to the correct use of the TE.  Never sees it.

Just sit and watch an afternoon of NFL and the TE's that are killing it week after week. Wow, why can't Gus catch on? Well, now we know.

Odd because he used Lutzy alot when he was the OC...

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Just a reminder that LSU 2016 was the most costly win in AU history.  #NeverForget

No we would have just hired another Auburn guy. Was Jay still the AD then?

New coaching or I guess I should say actually getting coached will help alot and we could possibly see the impact early but this stuff that was said about recruiting and stuff.....

That will take some time to fix. The sooner recruits can see us having a star or I should say stars and guys being successful the better.

Right now we are a joke as far as recruiting though. It is what it is

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

AU fans were fine with 6-4 for years, it's just that 6-4 masqueraded as 8-5, or 9-4 thanks to those buy-a-wins.  The defense of Gus for so long was truly maddening and it made me sad what the fanbase overall was willing to tolerate.

Don’t drag people too much for that, I think it was more blind loyalty because he was the coach at Auburn. So many chose to support him and let the administration handle that side of it. I don’t think anyone was fine with 6-4, I know I was not. Ever. As confused as some things were the team always played hard and never showed signs of quitting. I think that bought him more time than he probably deserved.

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Odd because he used Lutzy alot when he was the OC...

44 receptions in 3 years under Gus. That's not being used "a lot".  

'09: 5 rec in 13 games

'10: 15 rec. In 13 games

'11: 24 rec. In 12 games

2 hours ago, rexbo said:

You're right, Nix.  Three letter 'x' names are confusing to me.  And also about the 2 INTs; it takes a LOT of luck to be able to win any auto race with an inferior car...

I am not a Gus apologist but points count. Idc where they come from. Auburn was just the better team that day. Our car on the dline was superior as well as the superior kicker. Carson IMO was the MVP of that game. Not to mention Boobie had a pretty solid game as well.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ijs for Gus that is a lot bro...

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He scored touchdowns on 37% of his receptions. 14 touchdowns in three seasons.

18 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He took an on field position with UGA because Saban wouldn’t give him one. Cochran definitely wasn’t the best S&C coach in the SEC, not close actually. He was just the most known

Ask Bama fans what they think about him, he was past his prime. The whole team was getting injured with him at the helm

Most of those comments came after he left which sounds like “sour grapes” to me. I believe he in recent past had been given a substantial raise in order to keep him on as S&C coach.

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

He scored touchdowns on 37% of his receptions. 14 touchdowns in three seasons.

What does that mean

21 hours ago, AUDevil said:

This is going to make some of ya'll angry...at least, it should make you angry...

So the turds have better football and practice facilities, better stadium upgrades, then they spent almost four million dollars more than us in recruiting for the past two seasons.

Who is running our athletic department?

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

I am not a Gus apologist but points count. Idc where they come from. Auburn was just the better team that day. Our car on the dline was superior as well as the superior kicker. Carson IMO was the MVP of that game. Not to mention Boobie had a pretty solid game as well.

It is tough to convince people there are worse coaches out there than Gus. No doubt he lost some games he should’ve won, his SEC road record is atrocious, but he did beat the turds three times to include beating Georgia and the turds in the same season when they were both ranked number one. As it has been said before, no other coach in the SEC has done that. Can we do better than Gus, absolutely! But it’s going to be tough to do better when we are constantly being out recruited by our rivals. I think we are beginning to see why we have been out recruited, and it certainly wasn’t all on Gus.

Here’s to hoping we don’t become the next Tennessee, Texas, USC East and USC west etc. etc. etc.

39 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I guess it doesn't mean anything.

As I read what I wrote I can see if it would be taken that I was being an ass. I wasn't. I was trying to ask in the shortest text possible what does that number mean is it good or bad. My bad for being so vague

On 1/22/2021 at 2:22 AM, ellitor said:

If people said this about Jeff Grimes then I don’t remember it. And y’all know I follow Auburn recruiting closer than anyone on this board.

Could be Mandela Effect

I’m 24 minutes in “and um you know” so far “you know” it’s not a bad listen “you know” “and  um you know” I think I’ll finish listening “you know”

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As I read what I wrote I can see if it would be taken that I was being an ass. I wasn't. I was trying to ask in the shortest text possible what does that number mean is it good or bad. My bad for being so vague

My reply was flippant. I apologize.

All I was trying to say was Lutzenkirchen  was productive when targeted. He wasn't used enough but he he did produce touchdowns at a rate higher than other receivers.

I'll admit I should have provided more clarity.

The highlights to me are:

For recruiting need to improve facilities. Apparently Auburn is moving forward to make that happen.

Need to be able to prepare players better for the pros. Gus’s system did not do that at all and was very simplistic. Harsin will do a better a job.

Some coaches got lazy with recruiting and that Jeff Grimes was a go getter on the recruiting trail, which we all suspected by his results.

Ryan Russell is much more innovative in SC then Pittman. Pittman will bring that mental toughness back though.

They would like former players allowed to come back more often, something Gus didn’t allow much of unless it was Bo or Cam.

Harsin is aware of micro managing and will make an effort not to. 

There was a unique competitive culture at Boise that wasn’t at Auburn. Football was more fun at Boise but losing was shameful. At Auburn it was life or death, and no sense of fun, but oddly there were players that didn’t really seem to care if they lost. They were punished for losing at Boise by running or whatever.

Archived