Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

I've tried not to talk about Gus since he was fired but with all the criticism of the guy even after he's gone, much of which seems to forget that Malzahn wasn't exactly getting everything he needed to succeed at the level everyone is demanding, I'm just gonna say it...

I agree with Josh Pate at The Late Kick. Gus Malzahn is a top 20 head coach. Right now. That whole 14 minute segment is worth listening to. My opinion.

Know what else is my opinion? Brian Harsin is the new head coach at AU. Gus Malzahn is yesterday's news, no matter how much I appreciated what he did at AU or how much anyone else didn't. Dang if I know why anyone would waste time talking on and on about yesterday when yesterday is gone and today is here.

War Damn Eagle, Gus. And War Damn Eagle, Brian Harsin. It's a new day.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I've tried not to talk about Gus since he was fired but with all the criticism of the guy even after he's gone, much of which seems to forget that Malzahn wasn't exactly getting everything he needed to succeed at the level everyone is demanding, I'm just gonna say it...

I agree with Josh Pate at The Late Kick. Gus Malzahn is a top 20 head coach. Right now. That whole 14 minute segment is worth listening to. My opinion.

Know what else is my opinion? Brian Harsin is the new head coach at AU. Gus Malzahn is yesterday's news, no matter how much I appreciated what he did at AU or how much anyone else didn't. Dang if I know why anyone would waste time talking on and on about yesterday when yesterday is gone and today is here.

Agree with this post completely.

29 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I think you should read my post. 

20 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I think you should read my post. 

Going back to find it now. After the first few pages here I kind of skipped to the end to say what I had to say.

On edit...

I'm playing a guessing game. How about linking me or copying to my inbox?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

As I read what I wrote I can see if it would be taken that I was being an ass. I wasn't. I was trying to ask in the shortest text possible what does that number mean is it good or bad. My bad for being so vague

Really gotta be messed up to dislike this post. Petty²

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Because no matter how much you love a guy when talking about football what a head coach did in the past matters in the present. I guarantee not one person is just talking about Gus just to talk on here. He's brought up related to the roster RIGHT NOW

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Really gotta be messed up to dislike this post. Petty²

S/He's following me around disliking all my post. I'm pretty sure he/she didn't even read it 😂🙄🤡

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

S/He's following me around disliking all my post. I'm pretty sure he/she didn't even read it 😂🙄🤡

That's really 

a3a0409ce9b70c8bcab068343a7d0f93.jpg

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Because no matter how much you love a guy when talking about football what a head coach did in the past matters in the present. I guarantee not one person is just talking about Gus just to talk on here. He's brought up related to the roster RIGHT NOW

Did you watch the Josh Pate "The Late Kick" segment I linked at any time since it was first published on YouTube on December 13th and now? I'm not saying there were not issues. What I am saying is that given the JABA constraints Malzahn was working under, I think Pate's take has a lot of merit. And what was that take? That any number of coaches who are considered "Top Ten!" right now would have wilted long ago under the same constraints. 

Malzahn is gone. Harsin is here. Beginning around three years from now I'll begin to form a solid opinion on whether Harsin is the guy or not. 

Auburn is near the bottom of the SEC in facilities and that needs to change ASAP. I am glad the FOF is being built, but it's coming far too late as Reece, Adams and Kozan said. 

Really when you think about it, it is amazing that Gus was able to average top 10 classes.  With as far behind AU is with facilities and investment, that is actually impressive. Goes to show you that AU recruits itself, even with the aforementioned disadvantages.  If AU could equal off-the-field investment of our rivals, who knows what could be achieved. This FOF will definitely help, so I'm glad it's getting underway in the near future.  Will probably be a 2-3 year build, though.

Ultimately you can't just hire a coach and tell him to "go get 'em" and expect championships.  Ultimately it comes down to $$$$.  If you don't spend, you don't win.  It's that simple. If you're a booster and not willing to spend, then stop complaining and firing coaches when the championships don't come.  All the money wasted on coaching buyouts over the past 10-12 years is sad.

Why it took this long to get a FOF is beyond me. Bad leadership is the only explanation.  AU is literally like one of the only SEC schools without one. Bama, LSU, UGA, UT all destroy AU in facilities.  KY and USCe both have brand new football facilities, so they are ahead too.  Florida is about at AU's level, but they are in the middle of their FOF build right now which will put them a couple years ahead. This will put AU at about the Mississippi school level.  SAD!

30 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Going back to find it now. After the first few pages here I kind of skipped to the end to say what I had to say.

On edit...

I'm playing a guessing game. How about linking me or copying to my inbox?

No problem.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/174947-harsin-vs-gus-from-a-former-player/?do=findComment&comment=3352814

End of the day most of football at this level is about attitude. Sure play calling and talent is important. But you see all the time teams that are not big league that are successful. Gus wasn’t a person that believed in attitude or strength. He thought you could just out trick them. If you want to win consistently at this level you have to have the right attitude as a team. You have to train hard, be tougher both physically and mentally and not just on game days. Games are won Sunday thru Friday not on Saturday’s . If you wait till you show up then you are too late. Simply said Gus was to weak. Sure the guys liked him because he made it easy and let them do what they wanted but your not going to win consistently. Recruiting wise we went for big names not folks that were prepared to bust their can daily and sacrifice blood and sweat. I think that’s where I like Harsin better. He knows hard work and sweat wins games and puts you in the league. I think we will see a much different team on the field come September . Don’t be surprised to see some guys headed for the portal especially on spring practice and summer workouts.  That’s exactly why Russel is gone. 

48 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Did you watch the Josh Pate "The Late Kick" segment I linked at any time since it was first published on YouTube on December 13th and now? I'm not saying there were not issues. What I am saying is that given the JABA constraints Malzahn was working under, I think Pate's take has a lot of merit. And what was that take? That any number of coaches who are considered "Top Ten!" right now would have wilted long ago under the same constraints. 

Malzahn is gone. Harsin is here. Beginning around three years from now I'll begin to form a solid opinion on whether Harsin is the guy or not. 

I haven't and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing to that. I'm just saying to say not to even bring Gus up and we haven't even had a spring practice yet doesn't make any sense. How can you not talk about that but discuss the team?

You can bring up facilities and you will have a case for that being a problem, but you can't blame a 6 play offensive playbook,not practicing best against best, not letting assistants have input on who to recruit, not letting former players be welcomed back, and other amateurish high school s*** like that on "facilities"....If Gus Malzahn is a "top 20 coach" my ass is a South African diamond mine

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I haven't and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing to that. I'm just saying to say not to even bring Gus up and we haven't even had a spring practice yet doesn't make any sense. How can you not talk about that but discuss the team?

I'm saying that if people are going to discuss Gus, it might be a good idea to factor in all the constraints he was operating under and whether or not those constraints had any appreciable effect (they did) on things like recruiting and competing on the field against teams where those constraints left AU at a disadvantage on the field.  What I see here in this thread is mostly just people harshing on Malzahn and not factoring in anything, i.e. just saying "Gus was at fault. He didn't know what he was doing. He can't coach."  Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you have time, check out the Josh Pate link.

As far as how you can talk about the team, you can do just that. Look at what you can find on Harsin and his performance as HC at Boise State and Arky State and what he did as OC at Texas. Look at what players we know are coming back. Look at players we hope are coming back. Look at position coaches and what their reputations are and what they've done at previous stops.

I'll tell you that Harsin's record at BSU impresses me. It was better than I thought. The one thing that baffled me was their difficulty in defending the triple option when playing Air Force. Air Force beat BSU three years running and in several years where AF didn't win, they weren't exactly stopped. It doesn't really matter. I just found it curious. 

On edit...

Appreciate the response and the question. No reflection on anyone but me but I'm going to try and stay out of this thread the rest of the way. 

image.gif.865b5b983442f08d669404f0372881ae.gifAll the Gus truthers after listening to this podcast. 

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I gotta respectfully disagree. After what has came about and the way the AU program was ran by Gus. I gotta say he is not in the top 50 coaches for me . Pate is wrong . 

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Good stuff!

44 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I gotta respectfully disagree. After what has came about and the way the AU program was ran by Gus. I gotta say he is not in the top 50 coaches for me . Pate is wrong . 

How did he beat the turds 3 times? 

9 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Three times in how many years ?? Bowl record ? Development to the NFL?? Beating Ga? There is way more than beating Alabama my friend . 

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

If there was ever an example of being content with being mediocre this is it

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

If there was ever an example of being content with being mediocre this is it

Imagine losing four games in a row for 7 years straight and thinking that beating Bama makes that okay 

Archived