Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Imagine losing four games in a row for 7 years straight and thinking that beating Bama makes that okay 

Correct. And in 6 of the 8 games, ANY dreams of winning/tying the SEC West had long since been dashed.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This is how you JABA, for those taking notes.

This . Wow . The acceptance of mediocrity is mind numbing . We were failed tremendously since 2012 and more so the players . 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Some AD is gonna hire Gus because of his record against Saban. That will be the big highlight along with running a clean program on his resume.

People outside of the Auburn "family" don't understand why AU wanted to move Gus on. He's done much better than most in many areas of a head coach's responsibility., particularly under the circumstances.

I do think it was time for a change here, but all the whining and griping after the fact is pretty silly.

11 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Imagine losing four games in a row for 7 years straight and thinking that beating Bama makes that okay 

For years and years this was the mentality of Auburn fans, sadly some still have it.

15 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I gotta respectfully disagree. After what has came about and the way the AU program was ran by Gus. I gotta say he is not in the top 50 coaches for me . Pate is wrong . 

AGREE 1000

My biggest take-away from Will Adams’ comparison of Gus vs Harsin is the response to losses.  He said at AU some starters were down for a few days after a loss whereas at Boise losing was not tolerated.  The entire team was punished ( I assume gases or stadiums or something like that) and that Boise just didn’t tolerate losses at all.  I loved reading that.  Hope Harsin instills that same mindset at Auburn.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

For years and years this was the mentality of Auburn fans, sadly some still have it.

I disagree. It’s not the mentality. Some may not lose it and obsess as much about wins or losses. This often can be misconstrued as apathy but is furtherst thing away from the truth. Maybe our fan base ain’t crazy  enough who knows.....As for the iron bowl rivalry it is what it is. A win against Bama will always be held in high regard, no matter what the season looked like. 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

I disagree. It’s not the mentality. Some may not lose it and obsess as much about wins or losses. This often can be misconstrued as apathy but is furtherst thing away from the truth. Maybe our fan base ain’t crazy  enough who knows.....As for the iron bowl rivalry it is what it is. A win against Bama will always be held in high regard, no matter what the season looked like. 

Holding it in high regard and using it as a measuring stick for sole success is a big difference 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Holding it in high regard and using it as a measuring stick for sole success is a big difference 

But you can’t use a broad brush and paint across the entire fan base. Some may feel that way but definitely not the mass majority 

19 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

But you can’t use a broad brush and paint across the entire fan base. Some may feel that way but definitely not the mass majority 

Well to be fair , a good bit of our fanbase simply cares about beating bama. This is not inaccurate . It was the major argument many people used as to why you couldn’t fire him. Not just our fans but the talking pundits too. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well to be fair , a good bit of our fanbase simply cares about beating bama. This is not inaccurate . It was the major argument many people used as to why you couldn’t fire him. Not just our fans but the talking pundits too. 

Our entire fan base cares about beating Bama, and they feel the same about beating Auburn. It’s what makes the rivalry special. Been that way since I was born. I can’t imagine a good bit of our fan base content with 1-11 with the only win against Bama. People felt like Gus could and would eventually get over the hump, and become more consistent. It did not happen. The wins against Bama definitely helped him but his stubbornness and refusal to innovate is what cost him his job (IMO) and his dismal road record against the big 3.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Our entire fan base cares about beating Bama, and they feel the same about beating Auburn. It’s what makes the rivalry special. Been that way since I was born. I can’t imagine a good bit of our fan base content with 1-11 with the only win against Bama. People felt like Gus could and would eventually get over the hump, and become more consistent. It did not happen. The wins against Bama definitely helped him but his stubbornness and refusal to innovate is what cost him his job (IMO) and his dismal road record against the big 3.

That’s the problem though . Alabama is the least of our worries , rivalry or not. Who the heck cares if you beat Bama only to lose to Minnesota in a few weeks. It’s weak and dissatisfying but to many of our fanbase beating Alabama was the end of all means. Yeah we loss to Minnesota BUT BUT BUT we beat bama. That’s a huge issue. Beating Auburn is cool for Bama and they like to rub it in our faces BUT the expectations our NCs. They don’t give a damn about beating Auburn if they don’t show out in the playoffs 

15 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

No they care about championships more

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That’s the problem though . Alabama is the least of our worries , rivalry or not. Who the heck cares if you beat Bama only to lose to Minnesota in a few weeks. It’s weak and dissatisfying but to many of our fanbase beating Alabama was the end of all means. Yeah we loss to Minnesota BUT BUT BUT we beat bama. That’s a huge issue. Beating Auburn is cool for Bama and they like to rub it in our faces BUT the expectations our NCs. They don’t give a damn about beating Auburn if they don’t show out in the playoffs 

Oh they care the crying and whining when Auburn beat them last season was epic. But we did not have Tua, the refs gave y’all three, blah blah. It’s a rivalry they will always care. Especially when it keeps them from getting in the playoff. I think we chopping the same tree. Yes some Auburn fans may not care but I just don’t believe it’s the majority. 

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hate and inferiority complex is no foundation from which to contend for championships nor excel in life. I recall cringing when every time David Housel (a lifelong, nowhere other than Auburn guy) poured more gas on the flames and made it all about his arch nemesis, Alabama. Good guy who loves, loves, loves his Auburn. I'm really encouraged by what has been reported to be Harsin's attitude. Every day, every minute, and every down, is critical. That's the recipe for greatness in anything. I doubt Saban really likes the Bama knuckleheads that surround hime nor hates Auburn. He is focused on stomping all competition. Good for him. I don't resent his system for achieving results. I don't feel bad when we lose to Bama and 'bama folks who don't know there's a world outside the state make wisecracks about it. To be clear, I don't enjoy losing against anyone. It is fulfilling to see good gameplans and to watch new generations of Auburn football players grow up into high achievers in sports and life.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do think it was time for a change 

When does it become a time to change? All the terrible records against rivals and such have been pointed out  adnauseam. The micromanaging and the falling behind in the facilities battle also pointed out. When does that which was pointed out by former players and the lack of performance on the field become too much?

I mean, yeah, seems like a nice, sincere guy but so? He averaged 8 wins, so? At a program like AUburn, an 8 win season should be considered a down year, not “solid”. He managed to keep AUburn off probation but ua, Ohio State, OU, ... etc haven’t been on probation and have played regularly in the playoffs.  I really don’t care that he managed to beat ua 3 times, I have bigger hopes on a bigger level for AUburn than occasionally beating ua.  It’s been WAY past time for AUburn to move on from Gus. 

4 hours ago, aubearcat said:

When does it become a time to change? All the terrible records against rivals and such have been pointed out  adnauseam. The micromanaging and the falling behind in the facilities battle also pointed out. When does that which was pointed out by former players and the lack of performance on the field become too much?

I mean, yeah, seems like a nice, sincere guy but so? He averaged 8 wins, so? At a program like AUburn, an 8 win season should be considered a down year, not “solid”. He managed to keep AUburn off probation but ua, Ohio State, OU, ... etc haven’t been on probation and have played regularly in the playoffs.  I really don’t care that he managed to beat ua 3 times, I have bigger hopes on a bigger level for AUburn than occasionally beating ua.  It’s been WAY past time for AUburn to move on from Gus. 

It became time for a change when he still didn't head the program upward this past season. A solid 10-1 season with a bowl win and he would have earned staying on a while longer.

The facilities cannot be blamed on Coach Malzahn. He pledged $2 million of his own money to the project. Look at the Board of Trustees for that failing.

This thread was started with quotes from a disgruntled former player that couldn't cut it at Auburn, moved on and now wants to criticize. Hardly the most reliable of sources.

That's not true. He wasn't disgruntled and statements also came from very successful players.....who said they weren't prepared at all for the NFL

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's not true. He wasn't disgruntled and statements also came from very successful players.....who said they weren't prepared at all for the NFL

Did you get permission to respond to me? Asking for myself, no friend involved.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Since 2009 it is a measuring stick.   If you beat Alabama, you have a pretty good team and have probably beaten most teams on your schedule.   Until they slide down, that is the standard that you must beat in order to win championship.   Not sure why everyone has a problem understanding that.  I can guarantee that if Auburn isn’t fielding a team capable of beating Alabama, they probably are not going to consistently beat LSU, Georgia or Florida 

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This thread was started with quotes from a disgruntled former player that couldn't cut it at Auburn, moved on and now wants to criticize. Hardly the most reliable of sources.

Do you EVER make a reasonable post?

At no point in time during that interview was the player in question "disgruntled". In fact, he literally opened up the discussion by being self-depreciating and basically saying that he wasn't good enough to play. He was actually overly complimentary of Malzahn by describing him as some offensive savant - which is entirely BS considering that his entire tenure here suggests that to be impossible. 

You also conveniently left out the part about how the other two people talking were All-SEC players, multiple-year starters, and they didn't disagree at all. Let me guess, they were also "disgruntled"?

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Did you get permission to respond to me? Asking for myself, no friend involved.

I didn't reply to you. If you make something up I can certainly talk on it just not to you. This is a forum. I let the other people who may not have listened as I have the truth as opposed to a fabrication?

But do you have permission to reply to me? No friend involved?  I don't know what the hell you are saying

Archived