RIP Hank Aaron

McLoofus

I'm not a baseball guy, but as a former ATLien and, damn, an American, this one hits heavy. I'm not the right person to memorialize him. I can only say that the mere mention of his name inspires me to try to be more than I am. RIP, Hammerin' Hank Aaron. 

One of the greatest professional athletes (of any sport) of all time, and a true class act.  He did it through racial barriers and before PED's. He is what every ball player grows up hoping to become.

Legend

I liked Tom Seaver's story: All the while growing up, he threw a ball at a tin he had nailed to the barn. He'd run the announcer's voice through his head: "One run lead, bottom of the ninth. Hank Arron comes to bat. Strike three! Seaver strikes Aaron out to win the World Series!".

Then in his first major league game, who does Seaver face but Aaron. He just stood there on the pitcher's mound staring as Braves number 44 came the plate. And he stood there. And stood there, frozen. Finally the umpire called time out, walked out to the mound and said: "Rookie, sooner or later you're going to have to pitch to him".

Baseball at it's finest.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I liked Tom Seaver's story: All the while growing up, he threw a ball at a tin he had nailed to the barn. He'd run the announcer's voice through his head: "One run lead, bottom of the ninth. Hank Arron comes to bat. Strike three! Seaver strikes Aaron out to win the World Series!".

Then in his first major league game, who does Seaver face but Aaron. He just stood there on the pitcher's mound staring as Braves number 44 came the plate. And he stood there. And stood there, frozen. Finally the umpire called time out, walked out to the mound and said: "Rookie, sooner or later you're going to have to pitch to him".

Baseball at it's finest.

Baseball is great stories like that

Archived