2021 Baseball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

On 1/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, WarEagle2423 said:

@boomstick@warbiscuit@Gowebb11@tigerbrotha12@auburnphan@PowerOfDixieland@TigerCatcher

Y’all are baseball guys, right? We need some baseball discussion going on haha. 

Pretty fired up about the season. I think we have enough depth to field two quality starting 9s without any crossover. The hardest part about this season is getting the 12-14 really good position players enough reps to keep them ready. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year. The pitching staff under Butch will always be solid, but we have a chance to have a really really good staff this year. I have some questions about the bullpen and who closes, especially now that Owen is out a couple weeks with a dislocated finger and Barnett likely stepping into his weekend starting role, but it does give us an opportunity to get more guys work to see who can be that second closer on this staff. We will need one or two to rely on besides Barnett IMO.

• Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 Baseball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread
6 hours ago, boomstick said:

Pretty fired up about the season. I think we have enough depth to field two quality starting 9s without any crossover. The hardest part about this season is getting the 12-14 really good position players enough reps to keep them ready. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year. The pitching staff under Butch will always be solid, but we have a chance to have a really really good staff this year. I have some questions about the bullpen and who closes, especially now that Owen is out a couple weeks with a dislocated finger and Barnett likely stepping into his weekend starting role, but it does give us an opportunity to get more guys work to see who can be that second closer on this staff. We will need one or two to rely on besides Barnett IMO.

Dang, I didn’t know that about Owen. That’s a bummer. At least it happened now and not later. I’d be curious to see how Barnett does in a starting role. I think he can be an elite closer. It could be great for developing depth going into conference play until Owen comes back. I wonder if they’ll throw Seb Thomas or Joseph Gonzalez back there as the closer. 

And I agree about the offense. I’m super excited about Bryson Ware and Cole Foster. At the same time, we have Moore, Miller, Ceccoli, and Farhquarr that will all be competing for PT. Bliss and Woley are shoe-ins for an IF spot. I’m also curious to see how they plug in Josh Hall, Bobby Pierce, and Brayton Brown in the OF. (We literally could fit 2 very solid lineups with our team.) 

Our catching situation seems to be the biggest concern, but I think the talent is there. Just gotta get game reps. 

The batting order will be a fun thing to monitor as well. We have options. 

Edited by WarEagle2423
  • Like 1

I hadn't heard about Jack Owen's finger. I was really looking forward to seeing him in action next weekend.....but thank goodness it's not a terribly serious injury. 

Butch is great at managing the batting order. It's going to be a fun year because Auburn seems to have some fire power at the plate this season. 

ONE WEEK!!! I can't wait! 

• Like 1

Ok guys I admit I did not get to watch much of the team last year before the season was called before SEC play, when I usually start really diving in. Anyways, in that sense it's been almost two years so I'm sure a lot has changed. Been trying to research on some of these new guys. I'm pretty fired up. I love the experience and talent we have returning on the field from our Omaha team. Woley, Bliss, Williams, Ward, etc., I have a lot of confidence that the veterans combined with the new guys give us a chance to have a great offense. In regards to pitching, I trust Butch because he has proven his ability to develop and manage pitchers. I know Owen is a stud, and I liked what I saw of Fitts and have seen he is getting a ton of preseason love. My only question is how the board feels about Greenhill moving into a weekend starter? I have always liked Greenhill and do not question his talent, but is he a guy that can last 5-7 innings against an SEC lineup? I recall him being dynamite in his first inning of relief but losing effectiveness after that. He's got the talent so I'm sure his ability combined with Butch's coaching will help him, but I would love to see Skipper make a big push for that role early in the season. Whatever helps the team win; I trust Butch. Love what this program has become under this staff and looking forward to a great season. WDE and lets get back to Omaha!

• Love 1

Steven Williams will start game one at catcher and will catch Greenhill. Not sure if that's an all year thing, but that's how it will start. Also, sounds like Tyler Miller and Garrett Farquhar will start at 1B and 2B, respectively. Not sure who will play RF with Williams behind the plate and not sure how that will impact the DH role.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

Steven Williams will start game one at catcher and will catch Greenhill. Not sure if that's an all year thing, but that's how it will start. Also, sounds like Tyler Miller and Garrett Farquhar will start at 1B and 2B, respectively. Not sure who will play RF with Williams behind the plate and not sure how that will impact the DH role.

I expect Bryson Ware and Brody Moore to fill out the RF/DH spots if that’s the case. Not sure which where. Surprised to see Farquhar over Foster. 

However, I’m sure there will be a lot of moving pieces this weekend. 

Edited by WarEagle2423

25 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Here’s my projected starting lineup

Ward LF
Bliss SS
Williams C
Woley 3B
Ware DH
Miller 1B
Howell CF
Farquhar 2B
Hall RF

Greenhill P

Who is the kid who graduated high school early and played with us as a freshman last year? Is he still on the team? He had a lot of potential.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who is the kid who graduated high school early and played with us as a freshman last year? Is he still on the team? He had a lot of potential.

Johnny Ceccoli? Yeah, he’s still on the roster. Kinda got screwed by COVID forcing so many guys to return. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Ward LF
Bliss SS
Williams C
Woley 3B
Ware DH
Miller 1B
Howell CF
Farquhar 2B
Hall RF

Greenhill P

I really like that lineup. I like having that speed in the 9-hole. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, boomstick said:

Ward LF
Bliss SS
Williams C
Woley 3B
Ware DH
Miller 1B
Howell CF
Farquhar 2B
Hall RF

Greenhill P

Well, I was close.

1. Judd Ward, LF
2. Ryan Bliss, SS
3. Bryson Ware, DH
4. Rankin Woley, 3B
5. Tyler Miller 1B
6. Steven Williams, C
7. Kason Howell, CF
8. Josh Hall, RF
9. Brody Moore, 2B

• Like 1

Also, I don’t believe either midweek game will be televised. And the only way to watch the weekend games is through a subscription on Flobaseball.tv , which costs $30 per month. Not ideal. 

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

Also, I don’t believe either midweek game will be televised. And the only way to watch the weekend games is through a subscription on Flobaseball.tv , which costs $30 per month. Not ideal. 

Yeah that sucks! I talked to a camera guy asking why we can't put a camera feed behind home plate at baseball & softball when there are others sports going on to where we don't have commentators for the games. He said we don't have enough inputs to do that whatever that means.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah that sucks! I talked to a camera guy asking why we can't put a camera feed behind hoe plate at baseball & softball when there are others sports going on to where we don't have commentators for the games. He said we don't have enough inputs to do that whatever that means.

The way I’ve always understood it is we don’t have enough inputs for cameras when we have nationally televised events like football or basketball. Those games take so many cameras to broadcast the different angles that it leaves no room for cameras at baseball or softball. 

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The way I’ve always understood it is we don’t have enough inputs for cameras when we have nationally televised events like football or basketball. Those games take so many cameras to broadcast the different angles that it leaves no room for cameras at baseball or softball. 

That explains tonight with the Florida basketball game on ESPN but tomorrow baseball is the only on campus sport being played. I would think they can stream tomorrow unless there is equipment they don't want to move for the women's basketball game on Thursday.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boomstick said:

Butch said today that Trace Bright would get the start tomorrow and Jack Sokol would get the start Wednesday.

Interesting tidbit that Sokol has a twin brother and plays for the Ohio St baseball team. Any idea his potential for the future here? 

Just now, steeleagle said:

Interesting tidbit that Sokol has a twin brother and plays for the Ohio St baseball team. Any idea his potential for the future here? 

Butch is really high on him. He’s said a couple times that Jack is the most improved pitcher since returning from the Christmas break. That’s why he’s getting the start Wednesday. So, Butch and Huddy seem to be high on his potential, given we have plenty of guys with more experience that could start Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Baseball notebook: Catching on

AUBURN | Steven Williams was all settled in to a fourth consecutive season as Auburn’s starting right fielder.

Then he got an opportunity to catch in an intrasquad game. Then in another and another. Before he knew it, Williams was back as at least a part-time catcher for the first time since early in his freshman season.

He started Friday’s opener against Presbyterian at catcher, switched to designated hitter for game two and was back behind the plate for Sunday’s finale.

Williams scores the first run in Sunday's 2-1 win in 10 innings.
Williams scores the first run in Sunday's 2-1 win in 10 innings. (Auburn athletics)

“I came here as a catcher and kinda made the transition to right field my freshman year and I’ve been there ever since, until really about a week, two weeks ago,” Williams said. “The outfield can definitely be boring at times and as a catcher, you’re really in control of the game. I love that feeling and it’s really been fun.”

Williams, who last played catcher in nine games in 2018, has thrived in his newish role back behind the plate.He has a perfect fielding percentage through three games with five assists. He threw out base runners at second base to end the first and second innings of Sunday’s game and threw out another base runner at third base in the seventh.

Williams batted .300 over the weekend with a team-best three walks and two runs scored. Auburn out-scored the Blue Hose 22-5 to sweep the three-game series.

“Steven Williams catching has been a super highlight for me,” said Auburn coach Butch Thompson. “It’s the blocking, it’s the receiving, the throwing. It’s in every aspect.”

Playing Williams at catcher allows Thompson to get another talented bat in the lineup. Both Bryson Ware, who leads the team with five RBI, and Josh Hall, who has a team-best .571 average, split time starting in right field and designated hitter.

LORDY, NO MORE FLIES: One of the biggest areas of improvement Auburn can make after the first three games is to cut down on the number of fly balls. The Tigers had 30 fly outs in the first three games.

“We’ll work on it and we know we’ve got to fix it,” said Williams. “You got to tip your cap to their pitching staff. They did a pretty good job on us. But we’re way better than that and we know it and we’ll make sure we get those problems fixed this week.”

POWERING UP: Auburn hit five home runs by five different players in its first two games. It took the 2020 team nine games to hit five home runs.

THE 100 CLUB: Rankin Woley and Ryan Bliss recorded their 100th hits in an Auburn uniform Friday joining Williams (143) and Judd Ward (118) in Auburn’s 100-hit club.

BULLISH ON THE BACKEND: Even with Cody ‘Bull’ Greenhill moving into the starting rotation, Auburn’s bullpen put up some impressive numbers this weekend. Nine relievers combined to go 2-0 with a 0.64 ERA. In 14.0 innings, the bullpen combined for 17 strikeouts and just three walks.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Bryson Ware

The sophomore JUCO transfer had a strong Auburn debut batting .417 with three runs scored, one double, one home run and five RBI. Ware’s three hits and four RBI in the opener are the most by a newcomer since Creede Simpson in 2010.

PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Seb Thomas

The sophomore right-hander appeared in two games out of the bullpen holding Presbyterian to two hits and no runs in 3.2 innings. He struck out three and didn’t issue a walk. Thomas pitched one inning Friday and then a career-high 2.2 innings Sunday.

NEXT UP: Auburn will host Alabama A&M Tuesday and Wednesday at 4 p.m. CT. Neither game will be televised or streamed. Sophomore right-hander Trace Bright will start for AU Tuesday and freshman right-hander Jack Sokol will make his debut Wednesday. Bright threw a shutout inning of relief against Presbyterian Friday.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the status of Ryan Bliss?  A friend mentioned he may have been injured late in Game 3 vs. Presbyterian.  I have found no confirming information on this, but he didn't start today's A&M game.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Does anyone know the status of Ryan Bliss?  A friend mentioned he may have been injured late in Game 3 vs. Presbyterian.  I have found no confirming information on this, but he didn't start today's A&M game.

I don't think it's anything serious. He won't be needed against the midweek teams so maybe it's just a precautionary thing.