2021 Baseball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

Bryson Ware was listed as a SS for his Cape Cod League team, so seems like Auburn is planning for him to become an IF next year. Cam Hill is looked at as a 1B/P but listed as a P so doesn't seem like Auburn has given up on him as a P. Also a couple of guys have gone to performance training centers for the summer. Carson Swilling is in Tennessee and was clocked at 93 mph. Peyton Glavine is in Florida. So if Glavine doesn't go pro, things look good for him coming back, but then again his dad can arrange something.

• Like 1

Alexandria Aces for the Cal Ripken League has several Auburn guys. John Armstrong(recruit), Blake Burkhalter, Garrett Farquhar and Josh Hall are all on the team.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 10:39 PM, warbiscuit said:

Alexandria Aces for the Cal Ripken League has several Auburn guys. John Armstrong(recruit), Blake Burkhalter, Garrett Farquhar and Josh Hall are all on the team.

I hadn't looked in a few days, but that was one team I was keeping an eye on. We've had guys play for them before. There seems to be a pattern of certain teams in certain leagues that we send players to, Cape Cod aside. 

55 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I hadn't looked in a few days, but that was one team I was keeping an eye on. We've had guys play for them before. There seems to be a pattern of certain teams in certain leagues that we send players to, Cape Cod aside. 

I know the staff has a specific list of coaches they send summer ball guys in. Damon Haecker was a cape cod coach we sent guys to for example. So it doesn’t surprise me we keep sending guys to Charlottesville or Danville because Butch trusts those coaches with his players.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 12:28 PM, warbiscuit said:

Bryson Ware was listed as a SS for his Cape Cod League team, so seems like Auburn is planning for him to become an IF next year. Cam Hill is looked at as a 1B/P but listed as a P so doesn't seem like Auburn has given up on him as a P. Also a couple of guys have gone to performance training centers for the summer. Carson Swilling is in Tennessee and was clocked at 93 mph. Peyton Glavine is in Florida. So if Glavine doesn't go pro, things look good for him coming back, but then again his dad can arrange something.

Do you know if Barnett is actually going to play for Brewster in the Cape Cod League? He's still listed on their roster on Pointstreak. I know you had mentioned that Barnett might not pitch at all this summer. Ryan Dyal is listed on their website roster. So i wonder if he makes the move from the Valley League to up there or just stays at Charlottesville. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Do you know if Barnett is actually going to play for Brewster in the Cape Cod League? He's still listed on their roster on Pointstreak. I know you had mentioned that Barnett might not pitch at all this summer. Ryan Dyal is listed on their website roster. So i wonder if he makes the move from the Valley League to up there or just stays at Charlottesville. 

Given that Trace Bright is pitching, I'd expect Barnett to do summer league. Don't know where. But we will find out when cape cod league starts. Dyal has already been playing games at Charlottesville, doubt he leaves. Players don't leave summer league unless injured, go pro or play for team USA.

Also Nate LaRue has been pitching as well for Strasburg Express in addition to catching. He's listed as a UTIL for this reason. Don't know if he is also playing other positions as well.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

A little update with Summer Ball stats right now: 
For Alexandria Aces:

Blake Burkhalter has a 0.00 ERA in 0.1 innings with 1 K with one batter faced. Hasn't pitched since June 7. (http://calripken-baseball.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1521530&seasonid=32944)

Garrett Farquhar is hitting .292/.308/.542 with 7 hits, 1 HR, 3 2B, 1 SB, 7 RBI's, 1BB and 7 K in 24 AB. (http://calripken-baseball.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1521532&seasonid=32944)

John Armstrong(recruit) has a 9.00 ERA in 3 innings in 2 games with 7 K's, 1 BB and 4 hits. (http://calripken-baseball.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1521524&seasonid=32944)

Josh Hall is hitting .467/.579/.467 with 7 hits, 1 BB, 2K's, 7 SB in 15 AB(http://calripken-baseball.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1521536&seasonid=32944)

Burlington Bees: 

Mason Land is hitting .250/.333/.395 with 19 hits, 9 BB, 11 K's, 3 SB, 6 doubles, 1 triple and 1 HR in 76 AB. (Burlington Bees | Pointstreak Stats)

Cape Cod has not started yet.

Charlottesville Tom Sox:

Cole Foster is hitting .250/.268/.375 with 10 hits, 5 doubles, 11 K's, 1 BB, 5 SB in 40 AB. (Cole Foster - Valley Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Ryan Dyal is hitting .174/.321/.261 with 4 hits, 2 doubles, 9 K's, 4 BB, 3 SB in 23 AB. (Ryan Dyal - Valley Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Trace Bright has a 2.34 ERA in 7.2 innings in 2 starts with 9 K's, 5 BB and 3 hits. (Trace Bright - Valley Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Will Morrison has a 2.70 ERA in 6.2 innings in 4 games with 7 K's, 2 BB and 1 hit. (Will Morrison - Valley Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Danville Dans:

Kade Snell has a 4.65 ERA in 19.1 innings in 4 games(1 start) with 27 K's, 5 BB's and 19 hits. (Kade Snell - Prospect League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Elmira Pioneers

Ben Schorr is hitting .267/.333/.289 with 12 hits, 1 double, 2 SB's with 14 K's and 4 BB in 45 AB. (Ben Schorr - Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Cam Hill is hitting .378/.431/.511 with 17 hits, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 HR, with 11 K's and 5 BB in 45 AB. He also has a 2.84 ERA in 6.1 innings in 3 games with 10 K's, 4 BB and 4 hits. (Cam Hill - Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Jack Sokol has a 6.92 ERA in 3 starts in 13 innings with 12 K's, 7 BB and 16 hits. (Jack Sokol - Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies)

Strasburg Express

Brayton Brown is hitting .353/.452/.676 with 12 hits, 2 doubles, 3 HR, 1 SB with 13 K's and 6 BB's in 34 AB. (Strasburg Express Baseball: Home (pointstreak.com))

Nate LaRue is hitting .333/.520/.389 with 6 hits, 1 double with 4 K's and 7 BB's in 18 AB. He also has a 0.00 ERA in 1 game in 2 innings with 6 K's with 6 batters faced. Hasn't pitched since June 9. (Strasburg Express Baseball: Home (pointstreak.com)_

Cannot find any stats for Blake Rambusch my apologies.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today is the first day of Cape Cod League. Bryson Ware is playing 1B for Falmouth and Mason Barnett got the start today for Brewster.

Bryson Ware - Cape Cod Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies

Mason Barnett - Cape Cod Baseball League - player | Pointstreak Sports Technologies

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/6/21/baseball-auburn-baseball-summer-league-update-june-21.aspx

Auburn provided an update for summer ball. So all the "Juniors" and above aren't playing this summer except Farquhar, Hall and Morrison. Also Foster is pitching apparently

Edited by warbiscuit

Richard Fitts is pitching for Wareham in the Cape Cod League. Probably trying to do a similar thing Edouard Julien did in 2019 to boost his draft stock/money. First game didn't go so well. Pitched 1.2 innings, gave up 3 ER, 4 runs, 2 K, 1 BB and 3 hits.

http://baseball.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1516807&seasonid=32825

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on Summer League:
Cam Hill has been pitching this summer, but on the field he's mostly DHing and not really playing 1B.
Cole Foster has split time between 2B and SS.
Nate Larue has split time between C and DH almost equally. Has not played since the 24th of June.
Trace Bright has left his summer ball team due to innings limits.
Jack Sokol hasn't pitched since June 16th.
Ryan Dyal hasn't played since June 20th.
Josh Hall hasn't played since June 21st.
Bryson Ware has played his first game in LF on the 28th after playing 1B previously. He is 1 for 18 this year with 8 K's and 3 walks.

22 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Little update on Summer League:
Cam Hill has been pitching this summer, but on the field he's mostly DHing and not really playing 1B.
Cole Foster has split time between 2B and SS.
Nate Larue has split time between C and DH almost equally. Has not played since the 24th of June.
Trace Bright has left his summer ball team due to innings limits.
Jack Sokol hasn't pitched since June 16th.
Ryan Dyal hasn't played since June 20th.
Josh Hall hasn't played since June 21st.
Bryson Ware has played his first game in LF on the 28th after playing 1B previously. He is 1 for 18 this year with 8 K's and 3 walks.

I know LaRue was released from his assignment. Good to hear Bright's release wasn't injury related. When guys leave that quickly after the start of the summer season, I always get a little worried. Fitts was also released after his last outing. I imagine that's draft related, but IMO I don't think he helped himself much by pitching on the Cape. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1

Also, Mason Barnett has had two solid outings for Brewster on the Cape. 6.2 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 7 K, 2 BB. He should be in line to pitch again in the next couple days.

• Like 1

Morrison and Dyal were released from Charlottesville yesterday. So, I believe the only two guys left in the Valley League are Brayton Brown and Cole Foster. Mason Barnett starts tonight for Brewster. Cam Hill has had a great summer so far, both on the mound and at the plate. And how about Ben Schorr leading Elmira with 16 RBIs on 16 hits in 19 games?

• Like 1

Some guys not on Auburn's list:

John Armstrong: 2-0, 2.57 ERA in 6 games (14 IP), 1 save, 22 K, 5 BB

Mason Land: .244, 7 2B, 2 HR, 22 RBI, 17 K, 13 BB

Blake Rambusch (Cazadores Beisbol-SENF, Five Tool STX League): .345 in 39 PA, 1 2B, 1 3B, 5 RBI, 9 runs, 7 K, 5 BB

Mason Barnett had a really strong bounceback out yesterday after he was roughed up in his previous start. Barnett went 4.1 IP allowing 0 runs on 3 hits. He struck out 6 and walked 2. 

Brayton Brown made the Valley League All-Star game and hit lead-off for the winning North All-Stars. He was 1-2 with a walk, a stolen base, and a run. He's having a great summer for Strasburg, hitting .322 with 6 2Bs/8 HRs/26 RBI. 

• Thanks 1

Barnett pitched over the weekend. Gave up 3 runs on 7 hits in 5 IP and got the win. He's had a pretty good summer minus the one outing where he got hit hard. Bryson Ware was released from Falmouth. He hit .067  and just never got anything going. Hoping he bounces back this fall and gets things figured out. Farquhar, Burkhalter, and Armstrong have all had really good summers for Alexandria in the Cal Ripken League. Farquhar is hitting .331 and playing every day. Burkhalter has 2 saves and only given up 2 runs in 10 appearances/14 IP. He's only allowed 6 hits and 2 ERs in those 14 innings with 28 Ks and 4 BBs. He should be a big factor in our bullpen next year. Armstrong has thrown 19.1 IP in 8 appearances with a 2.32 ERA. He has 25 Ks to 7 BBs. Seems like he could be a really solid LHP relief option this year. 

Cole Foster has struggled in Charlottesville, but I don't put much into that with him being a freshman playing his first year of summer ball. His progression this fall will be more important IMO. Ben Schorr is still playing and is second on the Elmira team in RBIs with 19. Sokol pitched last week and went 5 innings and gave up 6 runs but only 2 were earned. So, it sounds like he didn't get much help behind him. Kade Snell has had a bit of an up and down summer, but there have been bright spots. He's thrown 36 innings with a 4.00 ERA and 40 K/12 BB ratio. The BAA and WHIP aren't that bad at .236 and 1.25. Curious to see how he develops this fall and if he can find a role with this pitching staff.

Most everyone else is done playing.

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, boomstick said:

Barnett pitched over the weekend. Gave up 3 runs on 7 hits in 5 IP and got the win. He's had a pretty good summer minus the one outing where he got hit hard. Bryson Ware was released from Falmouth. He hit .067  and just never got anything going. Hoping he bounces back this fall and gets things figured out. Farquhar, Burkhalter, and Armstrong have all had really good summers for Alexandria in the Cal Ripken League. Farquhar is hitting .331 and playing every day. Burkhalter has 2 saves and only given up 2 runs in 10 appearances/14 IP. He's only allowed 6 hits and 2 ERs in those 14 innings with 28 Ks and 4 BBs. He should be a big factor in our bullpen next year. Armstrong has thrown 19.1 IP in 8 appearances with a 2.32 ERA. He has 25 Ks to 7 BBs. Seems like he could be a really solid LHP relief option this year. 

Cole Foster has struggled in Charlottesville, but I don't put much into that with him being a freshman playing his first year of summer ball. His progression this fall will be more important IMO. Ben Schorr is still playing and is second on the Elmira team in RBIs with 19. Sokol pitched last week and went 5 innings and gave up 6 runs but only 2 were earned. So, it sounds like he didn't get much help behind him. Kade Snell has had a bit of an up and down summer, but there have been bright spots. He's thrown 36 innings with a 4.00 ERA and 40 K/12 BB ratio. The BAA and WHIP aren't that bad at .236 and 1.25. Curious to see how he develops this fall and if he can find a role with this pitching staff.

Most everyone else is done playing.

1. Mason Barnett has thrown about 70 innings since February. Seems like Butch expects him to start.

2. Armstrong is a RHP, but glad to see do well and Burkhalter have really good command. 

3. At this point Gabe needs to do something with Ware so we don't see another 30% K season from a hitter at Auburn. He had a 41.67 % K rate in the Cape and seeing how he was a top JUCO recruit, I expect Butch to try to plug him in for 2022.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

1. Mason Barnett has thrown about 70 innings since February. Seems like Butch expects him to start.

2. Burkhalter is a RHP, but glad to see he had really good command. 

3. At this point Gabe needs to do something with Ware so we don't see another 30% K season from a hitter at Auburn. He had a 41.67 % K rate in the Cape and seeing how he was a top JUCO recruit, I expect Butch to try to plug him in for 2022.

Agree on Barnett. The LHP portion in that post was referring to Armstrong (the JUCO kid from Chatt Valley), not Burky. And I wonder how much the hype about Bryson's raw power and exit velos in the offseason got to him. Then, he tears it up the first series of the year, and it was all downhill from there. He seems to have the tools to be an all-fields hitter, but the emphasis on power and lift doesn't seem to be translating for him.

Also, we picked up another pitching commit last night. JUCO kid out of Cali named Grant Newman. Guessing he's a 2022 kid and will be in this class since he graduated HS in 2018 and started at UC Santa Barbara.

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Agree on Barnett. The LHP portion in that post was referring to Armstrong (the JUCO kid from Chatt Valley), not Burky. And I wonder how much the hype about Bryson's raw power and exit velos in the offseason got to him. Then, he tears it up the first series of the year, and it was all downhill from there. He seems to have the tools to be an all-fields hitter, but the emphasis on power and lift doesn't seem to be translating for him.

Also, we picked up another pitching commit last night. JUCO kid out of Cali named Grant Newman. Guessing he's a 2022 kid and will be in this class since he graduated HS in 2018 and started at UC Santa Barbara.

That's 49 players now for a 40 man roster assuming Korbin Griffin decommitted. Nice pickup there. And yes Jordan Armstrong is also a RHP too. And Ware goes all or nothing in his swings.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

That's 49 players now for a 40 man roster assuming Korbin Griffin decommitted. Nice pickup there. And yes Jordan Armstrong is also a RHP too. And Ware goes all or nothing in his swings.

You're right. I don't know why I was thinking Armstrong was a LHP.

20 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I'm not sure I ever remember us having this type of roster overage going into the fall. We may have in the past where we brought in walk-ons through tryouts or something like that, but certainly not from public recruiting and transfer announcements. My thought is we redshirt several of the young guys because we will have 27-28 upperclassmen on next year's roster. But even with that, we're bringing in a pretty big class next year. So, I'm not sure how Butch is going to balance all of that out.

• Thanks 1