Men vs South Carolina

Maverick.AU

48 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Mowins said not a word about the play taking place on the floor.

I’m all for women breaking through the barriers of announcing men’s sports, but don’t drone on about for 15 minutes during a game. That’s the fastest way to turn fans/listeners off .

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Mowins said not a word about the play taking place on the floor.

Sometimes JDykes doesn’t know when to quit. He kept acting silly and droning on about McGregor and her. If I had been in the business as long as she has (26 years+), I’d be a little embarrassed. I understand he’s trying to entertain and fill airtime, but please.

28 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Sometimes JDykes doesn’t know when to quit. He kept acting silly and droning on about McGregor and her. If I had been in the business as long as she has (26 years+), I’d be a little embarrassed. I understand he’s trying to entertain and fill airtime, but please.

I said it live that if they wouldn't have spent the entire game not talking about the game, they could spend 10 minutes at the end of a blowout talking about Beth Mowens and her impact on young girls all they wanted. But they unnecessarily spent most of the game not talking about it that I was annoyed by that point.

13 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I hated to see Frank looking so sickly.  It really sucks.  He is one of the good guys in the profession.  He is really rough on the outside, but pudding and cotton candy inside.  He gets more out of his players than most other coaches do.  Hope his health gets back in good shape soon.

Fantastic coach. Like you said squeezes the absolute most out of limited talent. Exceptional defensive coach. But part of the reason he has to squeeze every little thing he can out of his teams is that he is Not a good recruiter whatsoever. Like really really bad. I think he peaked at Kansas State though actually. Those teams he had there were a lot better offensively than the ones he has fielded at USCe. He had much better teams consistently at KSU besides the fluky final 4 year as a 7 seed (where they got to play the first and second round in greenville mind you.) he had at South Carolina. Has not made a NCAA tourney any other season in his 8 or 9 seasons whatever it is at South Carolina. I think the way the game is going is not a good fit for Frank the Tank. Unless you can play defense the way that team we played in the Final Four plays on a consistent basis along with a very few select others it is really really hard to win when you have the lack of offensive punch his teams have seemingly every season.

13 hours ago, chizhead said:

Most folks don't know this. I have always liked him since his early KSU days. USC folks say that he is one of the nicest people that you can ever meet

Bruce always said back when Andy Kennedy was coaching at Ole Miss the only 2 close  head coaches friends he has in the conference are Frank Martin and Andy Kennedy.

Reflecting on the game yesterday:

• Jaylin Williams showed up.  Cooper really makes him better.  But Cooper makes everyone better.
  • Allen Flanigan plays and carries himself in a way that looks "professional".
  • Love JT Thor. 
  • Love Dylan Cardwell.  I'm a big fan of strong low post play.  He looks like he will just keep getting better and better.
  • Cooper is the thread that ties a bunch of good players together into a team that can now beat anybody on any given night.

But won't we lose Cooper to the NBA this year?  He looks at least as good to me as Colin Sexton did at Bama. 

13 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Reflecting on the game yesterday:

• Jaylin Williams showed up.  Cooper really makes him better.  But Cooper makes everyone better.
  • Allen Flanigan plays and carries himself in a way that looks "professional".
  • Love JT Thor. 
  • Love Dylan Cardwell.  I'm a big fan of strong low post play.  He looks like he will just keep getting better and better.
  • Cooper is the thread that ties a bunch of good players together into a team that can now beat anybody on any given night.

But won't we lose Cooper to the NBA this year?  He looks at least as good to me as Colin Sexton did at Bama. 

Colin Sexton was/is a much better shooter AND was an elite defender. Coop is neither at this point. But he certainly has a way to make his teammates better in a way that I believe Sexton could not while at Bama. 

11 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I said it live that if they wouldn't have spent the entire game not talking about the game, they could spend 10 minutes at the end of a blowout talking about Beth Mowens and her impact on young girls all they wanted. But they unnecessarily spent most of the game not talking about it that I was annoyed by that point.

I missed the game, but watched one of the highlight vids on youtube. It had the tv broadcasters on the play by play. The awful job of rambling on about non-related bs was noticed immediately. I was like...wth? It was like watching a game seated next to two people who wouldn't shut the hell up so you could enjoy the actual game. Had to be the worst job of "calling a game" I've ever heard. 

59 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Colin Sexton was/is a much better shooter AND was an elite defender. Coop is neither at this point. But he certainly has a way to make his teammates better in a way that I believe Sexton could not while at Bama. 

I think the hate for Auburn messes up people's objectivity about sexton as a player.....

This guy really almost beat a team with just two other people.....as a freshman.....if I was coaching I'm getting people to watch that game.....he really believed they were going to win......it was amazing, he was the leader.

He just recently went at the throat of kyrie, Harden, and Durant. The players I just named aren't just pros, not even just all stars. They are all time greats. Sexton didn't blink. 

Cooper have a different style than sexton.....he's not close to being the scorer or defender like you said. Not close.

Coaches ask different things from different players because of the make up of the team. I wouldn't even say Cooper can make his team better. They didn't ask him to do that. It's like Harden at the nets now. He hasn't even had a 30 point game yet. They don't need him for that constantly. They have Durant but if he wanted to he'd go out and score 63 at the drop of a dime

The announcing was really bad. I have no problem with Mowen or Dykes usually but they completely checked out of that game. Maybe it was because the game was pretty much over 5 minutes into the second half.  But even in a blowout you should reference the action on the court from time to time. 

But still fun to see us hitting on all cylinders on offense. About the best we have shot from 3 all year. Excellent ball movement from the whole team. Looked like we had USCe chasing the ball all game. 

Really need to figure things out on defense. We give up sooo many wide open shots. Luckily they missed most of them but most sec teams will make the open ones. Crazy that we are one of the top teams blocking shots but still struggle on defense 😐

21 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

This play is one of the things I was talking about making adjustments. We were hitting shots they couldn't zone us. 

This is a very simple isolation set up but when you execute you can't stop it. We set up a high pick if they switch it now means their best defender can't attempt to guard him.

Coop was really on so the guy has to respect his jumper. Other guys were hitting so their guys have to respect their match up. Now the paint is wide open.

Cooper attacks the goal snatches back creating massive separation. If the paint is congested or men are sagging off he wouldn't have a path. If he wasn't hitting jump shots his guy would play off and he wouldn't be able to create that separation.....well he's awesome so he can still create separation but not wide open type

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The announcing was really bad. I have no problem with Mowen or Dykes usually but they completely checked out of that game. Maybe it was because the game was pretty much over 5 minutes into the second half.  But even in a blowout you should reference the action on the court from time to time. 

But still fun to see us hitting on all cylinders on offense. About the best we have shot from 3 all year. Excellent ball movement from the whole team. Looked like we had USCe chasing the ball all game. 

Really need to figure things out on defense. We give up sooo many wide open shots. Luckily they missed most of them but most sec teams will make the open ones. Crazy that we are one of the top teams blocking shots but still struggle on defense 😐

We will feast against bad offensive teams because our defensive issues are less likely to bite us in the ass. Which is why I so badly wish we played Tamu a second time!!! We absolutely would get our revenge and then some vs them!!! They are sooooo offensively challenged.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't get this?

I’m guessing it’s cbp being upbeat ... giving a pat on the head to a walkon.

If Berman gets “real” minutes, then we are having a monster year - good or bad.

there’s no way lior gets in the vicinity of the quickness of the other 9 players on the court at the final whistle.

I can double my speed but I’m still not gonna get second to last in any race.

35 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m guessing it’s cbp being upbeat ... giving a pat on the head to a walkon.

If Berman gets “real” minutes, then we are having a monster year - good or bad.

there’s no way lior gets in the vicinity of the quickness of the other 9 players on the court at the final whistle.

I can double my speed but I’m still not gonna get second to last in any race.

But the I took that personally is sort of like hold my beer right? Like wouldn't it be if cbp was saying he wasn't good then he come out and hoop

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But the I took that personally is sort of like hold my beer right? Like wouldn't it be if cbp was saying he wasn't good then he come out and hoop

It was a joke  because he said “if he works on his defense and gets a little quicker”.

24 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It was a joke  because he said “if he works on his defense and gets a little quicker”.

Ahhh I got it then. I was just looking at his points

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m guessing it’s cbp being upbeat ... giving a pat on the head to a walkon

Don't think so, Sonny Smith has said multiple times on the radio broadcast that Berman was the best shooter on the team. He said that he has witnessed Berman at practice consistently out shoot everybody else

Archived