Harsin on list of best coaching hires

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Auburn's Bryan Harsin makes list of best head coaching hires

ByMatt Howe

3-4 minutes

Back in December, Auburn shocked the college football world when they fired coach Gus Malzahn. A few weeks later, the Tigers announced they were hiring former Boise State coach Bryan Harsin.

In seven seasons at Boise State, Harsin owned a 69-19 record including a 3-2 record in bowl games.

In a recent article written by David Kenyon of Bleacher Report, Kenyon ranks Auburn’s hire of Harsin as the fourth-best hire in the entire country after the 2020 college football season.

“Harsin unquestionably deserved this level of opportunity,” Kenyon wrote. “After two years as the offensive coordinator at Texas, he won a Sun Belt championship with Arkansas State. In seven seasons with Boise State—his alma mater—Harsin won three MWC crowns and added three more division titles.

“Because of his limited ties to the Southeast, recruiting against Alabama, LSU and the rest of the SEC West is a reasonable concern. However, Harsin's staff includes Mason, longtime SEC coaches Mike Bobo, Will Friend and Tracy Rocker and former Auburn running back Cadillac Williams.”

In his time as the head coach at Auburn, Malzahn posted some very impressive seasons and brought success to the program, but was never able to get over the hump of winning a National Championship. Those championship standards led to the firing of Malzahn and are the same expectations that Harsin fully embraces as he begins his journey as head coach of the Tigers.

“That’s part of the reason why I’m here,” Harsin said on The Paul Finebaum Show on Friday afternoon. “And I know the coaches and the players that chose to come to Auburn for exactly that; the opportunity to put yourself in the biggest games and to play well, to succeed and play for championships. Those expectations are what we have internally in this program. That’s not something that’s put on us from the outside. That’s something we put on ourselves from the inside.

“If you’re a competitor and you want a chance to be the best, then you have to do the things necessary in order to put yourself in that position, but that should always be the case.”

While the expectations aren’t spelled out on paper, it’s clear what Auburn expects out of Harsin. The Tigers want to be SEC contenders and, perhaps more importantly, contenders on the national scale. In Malzahn’s eight seasons as head coach at Auburn, he posted a record of 77-38, won the SEC West twice and one SEC title. Malzahn won double-digit games twice in his tenure, including 12 games in 2013 when he took Auburn to a BCS National Championship game, which it came up short in. The bar is set high but Harsin might be the man to hit that bar.

52 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Where is the rest of the list? 

Apparently at Bleacher Report. I don't go there, but if you choose to check it out just be aware, there is no control there. Anybody can write and post anything. Heck, you should go and write that Harsin is the best hire.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

In a recent article written by David Kenyon of Bleacher Report.....

National sportswriters are so lazy.  We didn't fire Gus for never winning a natty.  We fired Gus because he was in over his head and had no idea how to build a team that can even have a chance to get to the natty.

I have to confess, when I first read the thread title, I thought, “Why the heck is CBH making a list of the best coaching hires? Certainly he has more pressing matters to be spending time on.” :laugh:

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

Apparently at Bleacher Report. I don't go there, but if you choose to check it out just be aware, there is no control there. Anybody can write and post anything. Heck, you should go and write that Harsin is the best hire.

i copy and paste so i might have screwed up in all honesty. sometimes you get towards what you think is the end of the article and it says click here to read the complete story. if i did i apologize. i just try to help keep auburn family up to date on most relevant news. heck i am old as dirt and hung like a squirrel so sometimes i do not pay enough attention.

i went back and looked and he did not write the original article but he did not mention the other hires. the guy that wrote the article is on bleacher so i guess it might have been a pay article or something. but it was not on me...........lol

• WarTiger changed the title to Harsin on list of best coaching hires

Archived