Okeke, Okoro NBA Talk

REALTORTiger

Okeke has been hurt a ton and I really hope you're not right about him.

Okoro you're wrong about. He's averaged the most minutes on the Cavs who look better this year than they have since LBJ was there. He's come in as a starter after only one year in college and been asked to guard some of the top guys in the NBA. He'll be just fine.

• Like 5

• ellitor changed the title to Okeke, Okoro NBA Talk
30 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Yet another questionable thread started by someone with < 50 posts....  

Take a look at this guy's post history. Either a troll or a single-digit IQ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just say you don't watch the games bro lol. Got the closest to locking Harden down as one could, and more so than shot misses, he kept the ball from entering his hands and flustered him into not taking shots: https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-cleveland-cavaliers-rookie-isaac-okoro-swarms-james-harden-brooklyn-nets-kyrie-irving-kevin-durant-defense

* Also kept Kevin Durant from taking a shot 

Stats are so contrived these days IMO. https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1353759538789416960/photo/1 Lamelo Ball and Aleksej Poku, the two rookies I know of that aren't particularly great defenders are positive guys by this measure and Isaac isn't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chuma, who knows? didnt seem to have a consistent injury problem in college, just had a terrible freak accident that ultimately defined his tenure. Okeke was supposedly ready to go do G-League play before the shutdown last season. Magic at one point this season had like 6 rotation guys hurt. Could just be bad luck 

I think it's too early to tell what Chuma is, but I don't think you consider a mid first rounder that had a projection as a 3 and D guy, and expected to have to walk in carefully, a bust yet. That's just not very smart 

• Like 1

Okoro needs to step up on the offensive end, but he's part of the culture change in Cleveland. They were the second worst defensive teams in the NBA last year. The only team below them on defensive rating was Washington, which was historically awful. This year, they're up to 13th in the league. That's the impact of playing guys like Andre Drummond and Isaac Okoro. Game 1, he has drawn every team's leading scorer on the wing. Again, needs to round out his offensive game. He should be making more plays as a cutter playing off the Sexland backcourt, but that'll come.

Okeke was playing well before the knee bruise. Nothing major, but he was giving 20 good minutes defensively and spacing the floor. That's going to be who he is for a while. If he gets healthy, I think there is almost no chance he's a "bust." He'll stick for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

lol shame on anyone responding to this thread

myself included

Mods ... Flush him ... OP is definitely a troll ...

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Thanks 1

You guys replied to him? A rookie who come in and starts and fills the immediate need of guarding the best perimeter scorer to make up for size is a bust? 

Put this guy in the same tier as the guy that came in saying he was the football coach cousin and started posting links to their Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

You think the Cavs are aware of this?   Perhaps you should send it to them cause Okoro has the 2nd most minutes of any rookie behind Lamelo Ball.   They would probably appreciate it.  

2 hours ago, casatiger said:

You think the Cavs are aware of this?   Perhaps you should send it to them cause Okoro has the 2nd most minutes of any rookie behind Lamelo Ball.   They would probably appreciate it.  

And the only reason Okoro has fewer minutes is because the Cavs have played fewer games. He averages 6 minutes more per game.

Look, even as an Auburn homer there’s no way around it: Okoro has been one of the worst shooters in the entire NBA. But - the fact that he’s logging so many minutes in spite of this - actually shows how essential the Cavs feel he is on the defensive end. (Unfortunately publicly available stats are not great at measuring defensive contributions.) He still has plenty of time to improve his shot. With his defense, if he can even get to league average from 3pt he will stick around in the league forever. 

• Like 2

He’s struggling offensively, no question, but there are a total of three rookies in the top 100 in PER (Quickly, Ball, and Halliburton... in that order, did the Knicks actually draft well for once??). Rookies take time. The Cavs know what they have in Okoro, and they aren’t playing for this season. That’s why Drummond is on the shelf. They want Sexland, Okoro, and Allen to develop together. Okoro is going to be a 3-and-D prototype after a couple years. He was never going to star or even look average this year. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

He’s struggling offensively, no question, but there are a total of three rookies in the top 100 in PER (Quickly, Ball, and Halliburton... in that order, did the Knicks actually draft well for once??). Rookies take time. The Cavs know what they have in Okoro, and they aren’t playing for this season. That’s why Drummond is on the shelf. They want Sexland, Okoro, and Allen to develop together. Okoro is going to be a 3-and-D prototype after a couple years. He was never going to star or even look average this year. 

I think people got an incredibly overreactive sense of his offense with how hot he started on that end (relatively)

Only an auburn homer would have had any belief that okoro was going to be good offensively this year. I literally thought everybody on Earth knew he was going to the NBA for one reason and just one reason only. Defense.

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

Only an auburn homer would have had any belief that okoro was going to be good offensively this year. I literally thought everybody on Earth knew he was going to the NBA for one reason and just one reason only. Defense.

No! The one good reason was that he was a lottery pick which he wouldn't have been in any other year. Very smart money decision for him. He'll develop with his work ethic. 

Edited by 1TexasTiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1TexasTiger said:

No! The one good reason was that he was a lottery pick which he wouldn't have been in any other year. Very smart money decision for him. He'll develop with his work ethic. 

Right and the reason he was a lottery pick was because of his defense

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Right and the reason he was a lottery pick was because of his defense

I guess I can go with that. He's gonna be a good one though and I'm glad BP and AU got a lottery pick

3 hours ago, 1TexasTiger said:

I guess I can go with that. He's gonna be a good one though and I'm glad BP and AU got a lottery pick

Lottery picks have so much to do different variables, it's not always the best player in order. To me okeke was just as big. If he wasn't hurt in the tourney he's a lottery guy. He's the most talented player we've had since Barkley. 

Okoro will be a great side kick that will be needed for a winning. He won't ever carry a team though. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Okoro will be a great side kick that will be needed for a winning. He won't ever carry a team though. 

Perfectly said.  All the championship teams have "that guy" that makes the plays to keep the momentum or to stop the bleeding.  The Pippens, Kevin McHale for Bird, Manu for the Spurs teams for example. 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, AUBwins said:

Perfectly said.  All the championship teams have "that guy" that makes the plays to keep the momentum or to stop the bleeding.  The Pippens, Kevin McHale for Bird, Manu for the Spurs teams for example. 

I'm thinking more of a Patrick Beverly

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, REALTORTiger said:

both Okeke and Okoro are going to be huge busts.  Okoro has been the 7th worst player in the NBA by PER and Okeke gets hurt if you breathe on him.  

Stick to real estate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1