Heupel to Tennessee

Maverick.AU

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great hire for them.  Heupel has been on my short list for a while. Hopefully they can make things more difficult for bama and the East.  

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

That is a great hire for them.  Heupel has been on my short list for a while. Hopefully they can make things more difficult for bama and the East.  

Poor UCF my heart bleeds for them

sad jk GIF by Jim Gaffigan

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Any indication as to why UCF's record got worse under him each year? 12-1, 10-3, 6-4. 

Tennessee fans are concerned, and without looking past the record, I'd say they may be justified. Curious to hear your thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Any indication as to why UCF's record got worse under him each year? 12-1, 10-3, 6-4. 

Tennessee fans are concerned, and without looking past the record, I'd say they may be justified. Curious to hear your thoughts. 

Great question I can say every year their defense just got worst. Last years def. was god awful.......... offense was great but def. :eek2:

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Not entirely sure, but it wasn't the offense that was an issue.

2018:

257 passing avg

266 rushing avg

Total 523

2019:

316 passing avg

224 rushing avg

Total 531

2020:

357 passing avg

210 rushing avg

Total 568

Way better hire then i was expecting them to make. The record decline is concerning but dang Tenn needs to be happy they got a warm body at this point

3 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Wonder if he will keep Steele?  Perhaps he should considering his defense last year. 

He and Steele could make a formidable pair if they can make it through the impending sanctions.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not entirely sure, but it wasn't the offense that was an issue.

2018:

257 passing avg

266 rushing avg

Total 523

2019:

316 passing avg

224 rushing avg

Total 531

2020:

357 passing avg

210 rushing avg

Total 568

Those are huge numbers. 

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great question I can say every year their defense just got worst. Last years def. was god awful.......... offense was great but def. :eek2:

Randy Shannon, too. Not exactly an unknown quantity on the defensive side of the ball. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Those are huge numbers. 

That's what an offensive genius should be able to do.

I thought this was the same Josh Heupel who was the Oklahoma QB several years ago.  From the pics they don't even look related.

giphy.gif

52 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I thought this was the same Josh Heupel who was the Oklahoma QB several years ago.  From the pics they don't even look related.

giphy.gif

Man, it just takes time and calories.

Not a home run hire at all, but at least a swinging-bunt, and that's probably about the best they can hope for right now. I'm happy they got a winning coach on board. I think that he will flame out and their struggles will continue, but I hope the best for him in the job. Like AU, they are burdened with  GA and Bama on the schedule each year (and Florida). That leaves 9 games to go, what, 7-2 just to make the fanbase think the team doesn't totally suck? I see wins possible vs. USCe, Vandy, KY, Mizzou, and whatever 3 cupcakes they schedule. I think he can teach offense just fine, but the UT situation is so broken that I unfortunately see him going the way of Derek Dooley. Hope not for them. 

As to UCF's record. When I looked at the 10-3 season of 2019. They lost two of those games by 3 points and one of those games by 1 point. A loss is a loss, but the losses weren't blow outs by any stretch of the imagination. I think as for the 2020 season a lot of coaches floundered. Still not an excuse, but I do think the 2020 season as a whole should have an asterisk by it.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Not a home run hire at all, but at least a swinging-bunt, and that's probably about the best they can hope for right now. I'm happy they got a winning coach on board. I think that he will flame out and their struggles will continue, but I hope the best for him in the job. Like AU, they are burdened with  GA and Bama on the schedule each year (and Florida). That leaves 9 games to go, what, 7-2 just to make the fanbase think the team doesn't totally suck? I see wins possible vs. USCe, Vandy, KY, Mizzou, and whatever 3 cupcakes they schedule. I think he can teach offense just fine, but the UT situation is so broken that I unfortunately see him going the way of Derek Dooley. Hope not for them. 

I think the AD, president, etc knows this is a train wreck and the guy will get 5 years without any harassment. Good for him, jump while the opportunity is there and see what happens. He's may be terrible but you never know until you try.

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

From 12-1 to 10-3 could just be the football funny bounces and some bad luck and calls. As for 6-4, that was this past season. In the COVID year, things were just weird. Ask Penn State. I don't know that I'd factor the 2020 season in when evaluating unless we're in for some kind of COVID/pandemic repeat.

As for the hire overall it could work out OK but if you take a look at all the coaches that went from the AAC Football Conference to a Power 5 job the only one that was really successful is Mark Rhule and maybe Justin Fuente the rest Frost, Morris, Collins, Herman, Taggart, and Norvell have not worked out so far. We shall see

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Mine too. He is an amazing coach. I hate that Auburn didn't hire him. 

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, does Kodi Burns follow Heupel to Tenn?  For his sake I hope he does.

UCF will hire Malzahn and he will stay on staff with Gus.  

Archived