Heupel to Tennessee

Maverick.AU

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's what an offensive genius should be able to do.

Did we have a genius or a guru?   I can't remember.   Which one is better?     I wonder what AU had on the job application?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, casatiger said:

Wonder if he will keep Steele?  Perhaps he should considering his defense last year. 

I hope they hire him and pay him well.  Every $ he gets from them is a $ he doesn’t get from Auburn.  

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

From 12-1 to 10-3 could just be the football funny bounces and some bad luck and calls. As for 6-4, that was this past season. In the COVID year, things were just weird. Ask Penn State. I don't know that I'd factor the 2020 season in when evaluating unless we're in for some kind of COVID/pandemic repeat.

They also didn't beat a single team with a winning record this past year - so that point needs to be brought up too with regards to their 6 wins. They lost to every single "good" team they played.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Mine too. He is an amazing coach. I hate that Auburn didn't hire him. 

What makes him an "amazing coach"? He was fired from his alma-mater (Oklahoma), went to Mizzou where he put up numbers with an NFL QB (Drew Lock) for two seasons, and then inherited a 13-0 UCF team from Scott Frost that has dropped off under him (but we'll give him the fact that Frost only had one big season there so its not a long track record to compare). He looks like he can develop QB's and field a strong offense which are definitely important, but to state that he's an "amazing coach" is stretching it quite a bit based off of what he has done so far. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record this year.

Also, last season they lost to 4-8 Tulsa in a complete coaching gaff. How does an "amazing" coach lose a game on a substitution penalty? That's just incredibly sloppy:

UCF would jump out in the 1st quarter, but the last several years either ran out of gas in the second half and couldn't 'close' out the game....Josh's teams can move the ball and score, BUT, he puts the D in hard situations....again, this year, he plays FAST...and many times they were 3 and out and only a minute went off the clock...the Tulsa game this year is a good example of starting fast, but failed in the 2nd half...

1 hour ago, metafour said:

What makes him an "amazing coach"? He was fired from his alma-mater (Oklahoma), went to Mizzou where he put up numbers with an NFL QB (Drew Lock) for two seasons, and then inherited a 13-0 UCF team from Scott Frost that has dropped off under him (but we'll give him the fact that Frost only had one big season there so its not a long track record to compare). He looks like he can develop QB's and field a strong offense which are definitely important, but to state that he's an "amazing coach" is stretching it quite a bit based off of what he has done so far. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record this year.

Also, last season they lost to 4-8 Tulsa in a complete coaching gaff. How does an "amazing" coach lose a game on a substitution penalty? That's just incredibly sloppy:

Not saying he's not great or anything - I don't have a clue, but to add to your post, his recruiting classes have likewise trended in a concerning direction: 

Sounds like a great offensive but once again, problematic with the whole package. Would not have been overly impressed with him as our HC. 

2 hours ago, metafour said:

Is this where I bring up Saban?    😃

Aside from the joke these are all legitimate points you are throwing out to the masses.

Seems it’s in the DNA of some Auburn fans to think other schools always do it better.  Maybe they did and maybe they didn’t. I Like Harsin a lot but only time will tell who made the better decision.  I thought a lot of schools “got their man” who have since fired them. There is no real way to tell who will be great and who will not.

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I thought this was the same Josh Heupel who was the Oklahoma QB several years ago.  From the pics they don't even look related.

giphy.gif

That's what I said. I also remember him as the OU QB in 2000. It's like Davos in GOT said: "Nothing f*cks you harder than time."

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Another Defensive Analyst at uat. 

Unless that kills his AL retirement calculation.

20 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Seems it’s in the DNA of some Auburn fans to think other schools always do it better.  Maybe they did and maybe they didn’t. I Like Harsin a lot but only time will tell who made the better decision.  I thought a lot of schools “got their man” who have since fired them. There is no real way to tell who will be great and who will not.

Since you seem to have directed that at me.....my actual opinion is that other schools do it better sometimes and sometimes they don't. College football has a tendency to recycle coaches. A great coach can have a miserable stint at one school and do very well somewhere else. I like the former UCF coach because I know people at UCF who have more knowledge about him than an Auburn board. I have become sort of a part time UCF fan. I hate to see him at TN because it seems like a death trap right now. I'm not sure how anyone will be able to revive it in enough time to satisfy Vols fans . IMHO TN should've hired one of those no-name-brand coaches like Pete Shinnick who specialize in building brand new programs from scratch because TN football has been basically burned to the ground. 

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hate to see him at TN because it seems like a death trap right now. I'm not sure how anyone will be able to revive it in enough time to satisfy Vols fans . IMHO TN should've hired one of those no-name-brand coaches like Pete Shinnick who specialize in building brand new programs from scratch because TN football has been basically burned to the ground. 

UT fans aren't exactly embracing the hire but I do think Heupel has a lot of upside and the potential to surprise early with the way he runs an offense. But yeah, he's up against it for sure.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:01 PM, metafour said:

How does an "amazing" coach lose a game on a substitution penalty?

It happens. Shouldn't, but it does.

https://allfortennessee.com/2021/01/28/josh-heupel-message-transfers/

Heupel begging UTk transfers to come back. I'm glad Harsin is not doing that. You need everyone to buy in to the new staff and direction. If players think they can do better somewhere else, fine. But by them entering the portal they have already admitted they aren't bought in. The foundation will be stronger without them.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Heupel begging UTk transfers to come back. I'm glad Harsin is not doing that. You need everyone to buy in to the new staff and direction. If players think they can do better somewhere else, fine. But by them entering the portal they have already admitted they aren't bought in. The foundation will be stronger without them.

Not a good look just go to work and go get your own players. Disaster looking to happen if you they come back

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

He's (UT's) desperate.  

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Earlier in the thread you indicated he was on your short list.  Has this changed the way you feel at all?  Not calling you out, but respect your opinion as a coach and would like to hear if anything has changed. 😊

31 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Earlier in the thread you indicated he was on your short list.  Has this changed the way you feel at all?  Not calling you out, but respect your opinion as a coach and would like to hear if anything has changed. 😊

No, not at all.  Sometimes situations Trump desire.  They may be that desperate

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

No, not at all.  Sometimes situations Trump desire.  They may be that desperate

He is at the moment. His got to get some coaches and try to figure out if he can get enought players to field a team Also if they try and raid UCF coaches like Frost did you talk about bad blood 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:06 AM, AUsince72 said:

I thought this was the same Josh Heupel who was the Oklahoma QB several years ago.  From the pics they don't even look related.

giphy.gif

First image I see anytime his name is mentioned🤣

Archived