Nick Eason New DL Coach

Tony4AU

679B9AA1-490E-4F1E-807A-F40A67ADDD2F.jpeg

AUBURN, Ala. — Nick Eason has been named defensive line coach at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Wednesday. A 10-year veteran of the National Football League from 2003-12 and former Clemson team captain, Eason coached for seven years in the NFL following his playing career.

"Nick is a hire we are extremely excited about as he has coached and played at the highest level," Harsin said. "After a 10-year NFL career, he moved right into coaching and quickly became an NFL position coach within two years. That's something that doesn't happen every day and speaks volumes for his coaching and connection ability. As we got to know Nick better through this process, the football part of it became very apparent as he is a great teacher. But what stands out about Nick, in addition, is his personality, professionalism and an ability to form a relationship with people very quickly."

The last two seasons, Eason was the defensive line coach for the Cincinnati Bengals.  In his first season, Eason helped the Bengals' defensive line improve significantly as the season progressed. Cincinnati notched 11 more sacks in the second half of 2019 compared to the first eight games. The defense also allowed 84.1 fewer yards per game the second half of the season. Additionally, under Eason's guidance, DT Geno Atkins earned his eighth Pro Bowl nomination.

"I want to thank Auburn University, Athletics Director Allen Greene, Coach Bryan Harsin and Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason for the opportunity to be a part of one of the most elite programs in the country," Eason said. "In visiting with Coach Harsin it was clear he knows the culture required and has a plan in place to create a foundation for success to produce championships. He has great passion and cares for his staff, players and the program. This is a great fit for me to coach and recruit great players and be a part of a football program with great success and tradition."

https://auburntige.rs/36iaB2o

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn hires Nick Eason to coach defensive line

4 minutes ago

AUBURN, Ala.—Nick Eason has been named defensive line coach at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Wednesday. A 10-year veteran of the National Football League from 2003-12 and former Clemson team captain, Eason coached for seven years in the NFL following his playing career.

“Nick is a hire we are extremely excited about as he has coached and played at the highest level,” Harsin said. “After a 10-year NFL career, he moved right into coaching and quickly became an NFL position coach within two years. That’s something that doesn’t happen every day and speaks volumes for his coaching and connection ability. As we got to know Nick better through this process, the football part of it became very apparent as he is a great teacher. But what stands out about Nick, in addition, is his personality, professionalism and an ability to form a relationship with people very quickly.”

The last two seasons, Eason was the defensive line coach for the Cincinnati Bengals. In his first season, Eason helped the Bengals’ defensive line improve significantly as the season progressed. Cincinnati notched 11 more sacks in the second half of 2019 compared to the first eight games. The defense also allowed 84.1 fewer yards per game the second half of the season. Additionally, under Eason’s guidance, DT Geno Atkins earned his eighth Pro Bowl nomination.

“I want to thank Auburn University, Athletics Director Allen Greene, Coach Bryan Harsin and Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason for the opportunity to be a part of one of the most elite programs in the country,” Eason said. “In visiting with Coach Harsin it was clear he knows the culture required and has a plan in place to create a foundation for success to produce championships. He has great passion and cares for his staff, players and the program. This is a great fit for me to coach and recruit great players and be a part of a football program with great success and tradition.”

Eason spent 2014-17 with the Tennessee Titans, serving his first two seasons as assistant defensive line coach before moving up to the defensive line coach role for his final two years.

In his two seasons (2016-17) as Tennessee’s defensive line coach, Eason’s units played a central role on Titans defenses that ranked among the best in the NFL against the run. Tennessee’s defensive line was led by star DT Jurrell Casey, who in his two seasons under Eason totaled 11 sacks, 37 QB hits and earned two Pro Bowl nominations.

In 2017, Tennessee’s defensive line ranked fourth in the NFL against the run, allowing an average of just 88.8 yards per game. In 2016, Eason’s first as defensive line coach, the Titans allowed just 88.3 rushing yards per game, and their No. 2 league rank against the run was the team’s highest in 14 seasons.

In 2015, Eason helped guide Casey to a team-high seven sacks, 28 QB pressures and his first-career Pro Bowl invite. Eason also aided in the development of DE DaQuan Jones and NT Al Woods, who both emerged as quality starters and matched or bettered their career-best numbers in all categories.

Based on the interwebs

Assistant DL line coach for the Cleveland Browns : 2013

3 full years as DL coach for the titans from 2014-2017

Stint Austin Peay

Bengals defensive line coach 2019 - 2020

Surface level stuff..

Interesting why the short stint at AP. Also, Zero college experience. Perhaps a developer? I have to see what those NFL stat lines look like.

Just now, toddc said:

Auburn hires Nick Eason to coach defensive line

4 minutes ago

AUBURN, Ala.—Nick Eason has been named defensive line coach at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Wednesday. A 10-year veteran of the National Football League from 2003-12 and former Clemson team captain, Eason coached for seven years in the NFL following his playing career.

“Nick is a hire we are extremely excited about as he has coached and played at the highest level,” Harsin said. “After a 10-year NFL career, he moved right into coaching and quickly became an NFL position coach within two years. That’s something that doesn’t happen every day and speaks volumes for his coaching and connection ability. As we got to know Nick better through this process, the football part of it became very apparent as he is a great teacher. But what stands out about Nick, in addition, is his personality, professionalism and an ability to form a relationship with people very quickly.”

The last two seasons, Eason was the defensive line coach for the Cincinnati Bengals. In his first season, Eason helped the Bengals’ defensive line improve significantly as the season progressed. Cincinnati notched 11 more sacks in the second half of 2019 compared to the first eight games. The defense also allowed 84.1 fewer yards per game the second half of the season. Additionally, under Eason’s guidance, DT Geno Atkins earned his eighth Pro Bowl nomination.

“I want to thank Auburn University, Athletics Director Allen Greene, Coach Bryan Harsin and Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason for the opportunity to be a part of one of the most elite programs in the country,” Eason said. “In visiting with Coach Harsin it was clear he knows the culture required and has a plan in place to create a foundation for success to produce championships. He has great passion and cares for his staff, players and the program. This is a great fit for me to coach and recruit great players and be a part of a football program with great success and tradition.”

Eason spent 2014-17 with the Tennessee Titans, serving his first two seasons as assistant defensive line coach before moving up to the defensive line coach role for his final two years.

In his two seasons (2016-17) as Tennessee’s defensive line coach, Eason’s units played a central role on Titans defenses that ranked among the best in the NFL against the run. Tennessee’s defensive line was led by star DT Jurrell Casey, who in his two seasons under Eason totaled 11 sacks, 37 QB hits and earned two Pro Bowl nominations.

In 2017, Tennessee’s defensive line ranked fourth in the NFL against the run, allowing an average of just 88.8 yards per game. In 2016, Eason’s first as defensive line coach, the Titans allowed just 88.3 rushing yards per game, and their No. 2 league rank against the run was the team’s highest in 14 seasons.

In 2015, Eason helped guide Casey to a team-high seven sacks, 28 QB pressures and his first-career Pro Bowl invite. Eason also aided in the development of DE DaQuan Jones and NT Al Woods, who both emerged as quality starters and matched or bettered their career-best numbers in all categories.

Thank you for this. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Based on the interwebs

Assistant DL line coach for the Cleveland Browns : 2013

3 full years as DL coach for the titans from 2014-2017

Stint Austin Peay

Bengals defensive line coach 2019 - 2020

Surface level stuff..

Interesting why the short stint at AP. Also, Zero college experience. Perhaps a developer? I have to see what those NFL stat lines look like.

He was actually hired by mason at vandy and then got the cincy offer and left

Touchdown hire!!! I’m gonna keep posting this until it catches on. 😝 

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He was actually hired by mason at vandy and then got the cincy offer and left

CBH continues to amaze . Out of left field 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Yeah I’ll take a 10 year vet who has coached NFL DLs. 

And it’s a guy who Mason hired when he was HC. Got the bengals offer 13 days after being hired.

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

Touchdown hire!!! I’m gonna keep posting this until it catches on. 😝 

What, splash hire is not good enough for you?!  :OnTheCan:

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Here he is mic'd up at last year's Senior Bowl:

Knowledgeable and seems extremely personable 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I know some people have reservations, and time will tell, but I am stoked about this staff

Curious about the reservations. Seems like they would be stoked!!

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I know some people have reservations, and time will tell, but I am stoked about this staff

My only reservation is the absence of college experience and how it will translate but my gosh you can’t argue NFL experience. CDM has went at him before and he seems super personable. I really am just enjoying this variety of coaches . 

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Curious about the reservations. Seems like they would be stoked!!

Most Auburn fans are not truly happy unless they are bitching about something 😂🤣.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Most Auburn fans are not truly happy unless they are bitching about something 😂🤣.

Gotcha, glad you and are just “ truly happy”.

Archived