Men vs Baylor

aubiefifty

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I was going to say something when u made that post 😂

9 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yes, now we know who to blame.

Blame me for it. Don't worry, I can take it.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy when you look at the stats ... we only ended with 13 turnovers.  We improved our shooting in the second half.  Cut a 21 point deficit to 12.

I thought it interesting that we were running different stuff at the end 

Not a bad effort. That’s one of the most experienced teams in the NCAA vs one of the least. 

We really need an offensive upgrade at the 2. Powell and Alexander next season should help fix that.

A team of sophomores and freshmen losing to the number two team in the country, on the road, by twelve is nothing to be ashamed of.  I'm proud of these boys.

18 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Not a bad effort. That’s one of the most experienced teams in the NCAA vs one of the least. 

We really need an offensive upgrade at the 2. Powell and Alexander next season should help fix that.

Powell could have really made a difference today.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Crazy when you look at the stats ... we only ended with 13 turnovers.  We improved our shooting in the second half.  Cut a 21 point deficit to 12.

I thought it interesting that we were running different stuff at the end 

Wayy too late. Didn’t run the half court press and traps very well but they definitely were not used to it and it spooked em. Should’ve sprinkled them in a while ago 

Rough, rough game. I’m excited to think about gaining Powell, Jabari Smith, and Trey Alexander next year because we are missing ball handlers and shooters on this team. 

We are not a good passing team without Shariffe in the lineup. Way too many turnovers. We are crazy long & athletic, but we struggle with consistency shooting the basketball. I believe these sophomores will be much more consistent next year.

We weren't a threat from 3. You just about have to be against Baylor to open up everything else.  I realized in all those misses that we don't have many players with good mechanics on their stroke lol.  Powell for sure (best shooter as well), Thor, and Chris Moore did when we got to see him last game with those 3s. Everyone else does something awkward with their shot.  Cooper shoots from the shoulder, Flan and Jaylin are similar, JJ has been doing a pump action on his jumper and Devan is over the head and shoulder lol.  I mean everyone has their own shot and we can make them some when on, but I'm sure that could be a reason why we go on these cold spells on jump shots. Definitely not like the Final 4 team that had several with a good flow.  Davion improved a lot since we saw him at Auburn as he should with experience.  He was fun to watch though. 

2 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I have never seen a basketball game where EVERY bounce went one teams way.. every tip, every long rebound, everything has gone Baylor’s way since the second half started

In Auburn’s defense, Pearl said that would be the case for teams who play Baylor verbatim

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Cooper shouldn't go pro. He needs alot of work on the Defensive side. Reps on O too

Idk if he should or shouldn’t but I think this game deaded a top 10, and maybe even a lottery shot. Our offensive scheme and spacing was god awful, and Coop has no control over that, but everything he doesn’t do well was fullly on display here. Not a good enough finisher to rectify being an absolute non threat on 3 pt shots, not quite smart enough yet on defense, and also just not very good at it, whether you factor size into it or not. When he was at 100% energy , it was survivable, but once the game worn down, dudes was just blowing past him

He had some incredibly crafty plays, should’ve had about 6 more assists minimum, and certainly wasn’t close to the worst thing on the court, but this is the complete opposite of what I thought we needed to see from him if he wanted to leave early

Good coaches are devising ways to make Cooper less effective.  They sometimes double-team him to make him give up the ball early in possessions.  They sometimes overplay passing lanes and thereby diminish his most valuable asset: passing and assists.  They are daring him to score from anywhere except the charity stripe, which is his most efficient scoring mechanism.  He's proven he can shoot foul shots and layups, but his mid-range and 3-point shooting need improvement.  Opposing teams are sometimes going right at him when he's on defense, because as a true freshman he's a bit deficient in that part of his game.

He's been great against mediocre-to-good competition, and good otherwise. 

I don't think he's ready for the NBA.  He needs another year to build some muscle, learn post-prep-school defense, improve his shooting, and learn from Bruce Pearl.

Probably a selfish assessment on my part, because I want this kid back next year to lead Auburn to the Final Four again.

I had to miss the game intending on watching it tonight until someone told me the score so the suspense was lost.  Could someone give me a brief rundown or at least tell me if it was a close game?  The final score isn’t that bad.   

Here’s the thing. Coop with guys like Powell, Thor, a ‘21 player like jabari, etc would do wonders. Coop is being asked to do so much right now it’s ridiculous. Of course teams can take him away, Bc there’s not much consistent offensive firepower otherwise 

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I had to miss the game intending on watching it tonight until someone told me the score so the suspense was lost.  Could someone give me a brief rundown or at least tell me if it was a close game?  The final score isn’t that bad.   

Close game for the first half. Missed FT’s really made a difference in it being a tie game at half. As soon as the second half started, it was pretty much a blowout. Baylor hit 4-4 to start and we never recovered.

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The ball should touch JT’s hands at least once almost every possession, instead of Flan

His decision making just worries me

100% agree - we need to find ways to get Thor the ball more. As much as Flanagan has improved, he still has way too many turnovers. He does not need to be running the offense in 2021.

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

100% agree - we need to find ways to get Thor the ball more. As much as Flanagan has improved, he still has way too many turnovers. He does not need to be running the offense in 2021.

I feel like its just so much ball stopping when it touches his hands. There was a possession where they got a stop, Cooper pushed the ball up, gave it to him, there was a...Cambridge? cutting to the rim on the opposite of the court, he missed him, and Baylor's D got back and adjusted. He CAN play in pace, but he doesn't consistently match the pace they want to run with Cooper in. 

This was good game for Auburn. We proved we are not that far away from being a really good team, we saw what we need to do to improve, Cooper did not have a great game because Baylor guards are very good so he saw what he needs to work on. The best thing about this game is it probably means Cooper will be back next year to work on his strength, shot, and defense. Next year we will have Powell, Alexander, and Jabari to add to an already very good team who will have more experience. This game also gives me some hope Flanagan will be back next year but If I had to bet he won't be because of his defense.

Let's face it we'll never win a game when your guards go:

6-17, 3-14,0-4,4-11 and shoot 3-19 from the floor.

JJ has not scored in his last 2 games.

Flanigan is doing the best he can as backup PG, but he struggled today, especially in his shooting. Actually Flanigan sometimes just doesn't play smart basketball. He is a bull in a china shop.

And Baylor simply played great D around the perimeter and we couldn't score enough when it counted.

What annoys me with JJ isn't even his inconsistency...it's that BP will ride him out to the end of the game when there's other guys who can sub in for him that typically can contribute something on offense. Franklin can play his position...and do more than he can on at least one end. he appears to be at least a more consistent shooter and hasn't done much else than that on offense. on defense he's just more versatile and stout. 

Other than seniority, I can't figure out why he got 5 minutes last game and JJ got like...all the minutes 

Archived