2022 4* QB Holden Geriner Commits to AU!

ellitor

Idk we'll let this play out, but definitely underwhelming. Maybe he needs more evaluation 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Yes let the negative responses flow bc we got a 3* QB. 

We'll be competing with Bama in no time at this pace 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Idk we'll let this play out, but definitely underwhelming. Maybe he needs more evaluation 

I get where you're at I wasn't exactly stoked at first. Still, it has to be their guy this early in the process. If they wanted someone else they just wouldn't take the commitment this soon. It does seem like we should consider taking a 2nd quarterback though just to hedge the bets a little.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Ironic coming from a guy that’s negative for the hell of it all the time. Facts and logic don’t matter to you so I won’t waste my time. 

Just now, Zeek said:

I get where you're at I wasn't exactly stoked at first. Still, it has to be their guy this early in the process. If they wanted someone else they just wouldn't take the commitment this soon. It does seem like we should consider taking a 2nd quarterback though just to hedge the bets a little.

Yeah, that why I'll let this play out a bit. 

It's early, I'd be a ton of ppl are undervalued right now after a Covid Jr season. He could rise, just not exactly what we need from a ranks perspective at the moment.  Big fall from 95% 5* to us 

He's got size. I hate watching film bc 95% of HS kids look terrible, especially QBs. 

I think most ppl, if they were honest, would be a little hesitant... But seems like we have a large contingent of "Trust the coaches" crowd 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Ironic coming from a guy that’s negative for the hell of it all the time. Facts and logic don’t matter to you so I won’t waste my time. 

I'm just honest and think vs cheerlead

I've posted plenty of positive things. 

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, that why I'll let this play out a bit. 

It's early, I'd be a ton of ppl are undervalued right now after a Covid Jr season. He could rise, just not exactly what we need from a ranks perspective at the moment.  Big fall from 95% 5* to us 

He's got size. I hate watching film bc 95% of HS kids look terrible, especially QBs. 

I think most ppl, if they were honest, would be a little hesitant... But seems like we have a large contingent of "Trust the coaches" crowd 

Yeah, I think he's got room for improvement for sure. Don't think we need him to start soon anyways. This year will likely be Bo as starter, next year is Dee or Bo, and after that I think it's still Dee over Holden. Barring us landing another 2022 QB or getting a Trevor Lawrence type true freshman in 2023 it will be quite some time until we see someone other than Dee or Bo starting.

If nothing else he has good size and it's a good pipeline get from Georgia. He should be a 4* barring injury or a senior year meltdown. 

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This kid will move up. Watch his film then go watch the top 10 ranked QB film and compare. He is as good or better than several. He would have had a chance to move higher had he not committed to us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess we need some protocol where we can make observations without being too negative recruits. IMHO he is the least athletic of the QBs on our radar. His arm looked strong to me, but unpolished. I think Tanner(1) and Gunner(2) looked more ready to make an early impact. Now, it's very possible that a couple of QB whisperers on our staff see some raw potential that I don't and have a lot of confidence that this guy is a star in the making under the right tutelage... There is no way I would challenge, with just my expertise, the decisions of Bobo and Harsin on QBs. Also, the kid committed to AU so he is now part of the family (at least "in waiting"). WDE to him!

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. I can make a decent pass at judging athleticism, release, accuracy and quality of throw, but that's all from the comfort of my couch.

• Like 1

Just now, Zeek said:

Yeah, I think he's got room for improvement for sure. Don't think we need him to start soon anyways. This year will likely be Bo as starter, next year is Dee or Bo, and after that I think it's still Dee over Holden. Barring us landing another 2022 QB or getting a Trevor Lawrence type true freshman in 2023 it will be quite some time until we see someone other than Dee or Bo starting.

If nothing else he has good size and it's a good pipeline get from Georgia. He should be a 4* barring injury or a senior year meltdown. 

I get your thoughts on depths, but don't really agree with recruiting for depth. 

I'd be interested to see what offers are legitimate. Lots from last spring. Either Harsin/Bobo found a highly undervalued guy or we jumped the gun bit early. 

We'll see how his Sr year plays out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This kid will move up. Watch his film then go watch the top 10 ranked QB film and compare. He is as good or better than several. He would have had a chance to move higher had he not committed to us.

Yeah I've Def left opened the chances he'll move up. 

I don't really by into the anti Aub sentiment or they don't move up committed prospects. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Exactly. When i first saw the commitment i was like oh well that is weird. Why would we accept a 3* commitment this early when we had a least a couple higher rated guys on the board? Then i went and watched his tape and it was excellent. Big solid kid. Great height. Nice arm. Made great deep throws. Great throws over the middle in tight windows. Good throws on the run. I don't see what there is not to like about this guy. 

• Like 2

I know it is highlights, but he looks good.  Spins it well, and once he decides to throw it is quickly out.  Has shown he can navigate the pocket.  I don't have a whole lot of time to argue my point, but as of these Junior highlights he may be a better passer than what is currently on the roster.

12 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I guess we need some protocol where we can make observations without being too negative recruits. IMHO he is the least athletic of the QBs on our radar. His arm looked strong to me, but unpolished. I think Tanner(1) and Gunner(2) looked more ready to make an early impact. Now, it's very possible that a couple of QB whisperers on our staff see some raw potential that I don't and have a lot of confidence that this guy is a star in the making under the right tutelage... There is no way I would challenge, with just my expertise, the decisions of Bobo and Harsin on QBs. Also, the kid committed to AU so he is now part of the family (at least "in waiting"). WDE to him!

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. I can make a decent pass at judging athleticism, release, accuracy and quality of throw, but that's all from the comfort of my couch.

I don't think anyone is being mean to the kid here

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This. After Stockton, Holden was on the next tier of our QB wants along with Simpson. For us to take him this early means the staff thinks very very high of him.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He would have had a chance to move higher had he not committed to us.

Actually that will probably get more eyes on him, both from other staffs & recruiting analysts. Don't forget Harsin & Bobo are thought of highly in college football for their QB evals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This. After Stockton, Holden was on the next tier of our QB wants along with Simpson. For us to take him this early means the staff thinks very very high of him.

I think he throws the ball better than Stockton. Gunner looks like pushes thr ball vs throws it

20 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I like him over Stockton. Of course he isn't a finished product. Not many HS Jrs are...hardly an at all TBH. 

Mechanically it looks like he has some things to work on, he was also throwing it with good pace and accuracy despite those mechanics. Those type changes can always go both ways but bobo has shown the ability to work with QBs in the past. I like that hes bigger and stood in the pocket and delivered some while taking a hit

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah I've Def left opened the chances he'll move up. 

I don't really by into the anti Aub sentiment or they don't move up committed prospects. 

I don't buy into sentiment....I buy into evidence. The Bama bump is a real thing. I get it. I understand why it happens. CNS has solidified his view as among the best in the business. 

43 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I didn’t see any special arm talent personally. Didn’t look weak but it didn’t like he had a cannon either 

You didn't see those slant throws? quick throws, and the ball got to the WR very quick. He reminds me a little of Philip Rivers how he loads up before release.

His footwork seems good enough. He's not going to escape from his feet, but does sense the pocket as at times he slid sideways up in the pocket and then delivered accurate throws.

3 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

We are trying to be nice to you.:poke:

I can take it, even when @ellitor unleashes his army of minions on me 😀

I stand by all my opinion b/c they are all true until otherwise.  Then they don't count b/c i was just trolling.  🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He reminds me a little of Philip Rivers how he loads up before release.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.