2022 4* QB Holden Geriner Commits to AU!

ellitor

2 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

I guess we need some protocol where we can make observations without being too negative recruits. IMHO he is the least athletic of the QBs on our radar. His arm looked strong to me, but unpolished. I think Tanner(1) and Gunner(2) looked more ready to make an early impact. Now, it's very possible that a couple of QB whisperers on our staff see some raw potential that I don't and have a lot of confidence that this guy is a star in the making under the right tutelage... There is no way I would challenge, with just my expertise, the decisions of Bobo and Harsin on QBs. Also, the kid committed to AU so he is now part of the family (at least "in waiting"). WDE to him!

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. I can make a decent pass at judging athleticism, release, accuracy and quality of throw, but that's all from the comfort of my couch.

I thought Gunner had already committed to UGA?

32 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He looks thicker then what his his weight says at 6'3" 215 pounds.

I thought so too, but probably due to lower level competition 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

4A military school in Savannh... he might truly be a 3* but he might also be under-evaluated just from not really being on a big stage. 

Somebody gets it. Also look at those stats . I am sure if something is wrong with his mechanics our coaches can deal with it. Welcome to Auburn young man !

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought Gunner had already committed to UGA?

He has, although it seems like I heard some people saying we might be able to get back in on him? I was just saying that I thought those two (who we both high on our radar) looked more ready, in my amateur opinion, than Geriner. I'll reiterate that with Bobo and Harsin on staff, I feel relatively confident that we can identify talent.

2 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

He has, although it seems like I heard some people saying we might be able to get back in on him? I was just saying that I thought those two (who we both high on our radar) looked more ready, in my amateur opinion, than Geriner. I'll reiterate that with Bobo and Harsin on staff, I feel relatively confident that we can identify talent.

Gotcha, thx for the added info.

16 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

He has, although it seems like I heard some people saying we might be able to get back in on him?

@AUinfusion highly unlikely boring a coaching change at Georgia.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

You didn't see those slant throws? quick throws, and the ball got to the WR very quick. He reminds me a little of Philip Rivers how he loads up before release.

His footwork seems good enough. He's not going to escape from his feet, but does sense the pocket as at times he slid sideways up in the pocket and then delivered accurate throws.

No he looked good. I liked what I seen. I’m just saying he didn’t have some kind of cannon, and that’s perfectly okay. I’ve been saying on this board for a long time that I’d rather have a QB with accuracy than somebody with a cannon who struggles with accuracy 

There are some negative folks on these boards sometimes. Watch the tapes. Dude is absolutely SLINGING IT. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can throw a better slant than any QB we have had in the past 7 years. 

For real though, the fact that this is the guy Auburn is recruiting speaks VOLUMES to what Harsin and Bobo are planning on bringing to the offense. Look at the type of throws he is making. We haven’t seen those in Auburn for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fredst said:

I’m no expert but I think that he looks pretty good. He throws a nice, accurate ball with some pace despite suboptimal mechanics. I guess we’ll see how it plays out but I’m willing to give Harsin and Bobo the benefit of the doubt for now. Still wouldn’t mind getting the Bailey kid as well

Everytime mr fred posts a angel gains it's wings!!!! Keep em coming!!! Woooo!!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

I like the Jacurri Brown kid as a flyer. His accuracy is bad but his ceiling is phenomenally high if he could be fixed in that category.

I still cannot for the life of me get why 2 straight AU staffs are not really recruiting MJ Morris at all. Especially when we are taking 2 QB's this class. MJ Morris is better than brown to me if we are looking at making the second QB a true DT one. I will be fine with either but really wish we would actually actively recruit MJ Morris. What you think zeek? I'm just some simpleton who loves crutin and stars but doesn't know much 😂😂!!! Lol but you are a actual coach.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 1

Interesting notes from his coach in the Savannah paper (Geriner's decision was the lead story this morning, btw):

"Holden has worked hard and improved so much," Britt said. "He was young as a sophomore and coming into an offense that didn't fit his style. We made some adjustments with our offense and Holden matured. He learned to control that cannon of an arm he has. He realized that there are times when you can dump off a pass and let your athletes go to work, and there are times to use that strong arm of his and air things out. He's learned to judge those moments."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2021 at 6:51 PM, GTNupe11 said:

Kid can sling the ball. 

Definitely has the arm strength. 

On 2/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, bigbird said:

i-see-no-problem-here-crazy-eyes.gif

is that golf?

Just now, bigbird said:

I  don't see any clubs, I believe he's hunting.

snipe?

On 2/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, McLoofus said:

4A military school in Savannh... he might truly be a 3* but he might also be under-evaluated just from not really being on a big stage. 

Under valued and here's why. He was playing in an offense that didn't fit him well in 2019. For the 2020 season, the coaches changed the system AND played a bunch of 5A and 6A schools AND improved his stats dramatically. QBs commit early and these coaches didn't dilly dally around for a 2022 QB they liked. It's a different day as far as QB evaluating and coaching now.

ETA - all indications are we'll take 2 QBs in 2022 for depth. I'd love for it to be Bailey, but Bama was probably the leader before Sark left. Now? :gofig:

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1