2021 3 Star OT Adrien Strickland

AUgrad2013

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Thanks, as I figured would happen I feel stupid now that I couldn’t remember who it was. 

Don’t feel that way.  I’m often annoyed by the overuse of acronyms and initials brought on I believe by social media and the younger generations, but I’m just an old “get off my lawn”grandpa.

16 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Don’t feel that way.  I’m often annoyed by the overuse of acronyms and initials brought on I believe by social media and the younger generations, but I’m just an old “get off my lawn”grandpa.

I’m all of those things minus grandpa. I’m 33 but I’ve been called old fashioned. Lol

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Is there a reason this is the subject on a Strickland thread?

Yes it is because someone used BV for Brent Venables.  

33 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Is there a reason this is the subject on a Strickland thread?

@Timeslider 6 Just derailed there since AU has no interest in Strickland there's no point in getting the derail back on track.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Timeslider 6 Just derailed there since AU has no interest in Strickland there's no point in getting the derail back on track.

Especially considering the derailment was minor compared to many around here lately. Lol. 

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's my understanding that the coaching search wasn't the CF that was played out in the media. I even told a couple of you that you should just sit back and let this hing play out. Did have a few who were throwing around their agendia to the beat writers and the beat writers hungry for clicks took the hook. Bad look for all of those folks and they have been exposed. 

Bill Clark never got a interview past a phone call wanting an interview. Damn sure didn't get a offer to be the HC. 

Napier interviewed. Wanted something like 6 million a year and nothing less, that was his attitude during the interview. AU told him "No thanks". He tried to back it back some and AU told him, "we are done here" and that was it. 

Sark did interview. Mutual parting / no offer.

Think there was some real mutual interest in BV. But when Harsin interviewed, Greene and the others had their guy. Actually pretty smooth.

Steele was never going to be the HC. He didn't have the approval of the BOT, AD or the Pres. Sure some of the PTB wanted him but was never really going to happen. Another media driven frenzy. 

Will say this, Greene took control of this early and did a damn good job. I've been real critical of him the past year but he did a great job here. Props to him. I think AU got a damn good HC in Harsin. The change that is sorely needed. 

My biggest problem with the coaching search was how Auburn was portrayed in the media. Perception is everything. Quite frankly - our PR Department sucks, if we even have one! 

Auburn always get portrayed like this in the media. Instead of getting out in front of the stories and controlling the narrative, our athletic department remains silent and our fans just harass certain reporters on social media. 

I’m very curious about the Sark interview. He was my #1 choice. I think he’s going to kill it at Texas. I hope you are right about the Harsin hire. I’m just not completely sold, yet.

15 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

My biggest problem with the coaching search was how Auburn was portrayed in the media. Perception is everything. Quite frankly - our PR Department sucks, if we even have one! 

Auburn always get portrayed like this in the media. Instead of getting out in front of the stories and controlling the narrative, our athletic department remains silent and our fans just harass certain reporters on social media. 

I’m very curious about the Sark interview. He was my #1 choice. I think he’s going to kill it at Texas. I hope you are right about the Harsin hire. I’m just not completely sold, yet.

Screw what anyone outside AU thinks. All that matters is what we think & take care of our own business.

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Not real sure how AU could have gone out front on this search. If anything blame the PAM's of the world for writing articles just for clicks. That site is a sham and a disgrace. Not many of the beat writers tried to verify any of the info and just ran with anything. I'll give JGT some credit here, he and his guys at least try to verify stuff before they write articles. I know they did during this search. They reached out to plenty of people asking questions. They others.................... crickets. 

29 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not real sure how AU could have gone out front on this search. If anything blame the PAM's of the world for writing articles just for clicks. That site is a sham and a disgrace. Not many of the beat writers tried to verify any of the info and just ran with anything. I'll give JGT some credit here, he and his guys at least try to verify stuff before they write articles. I know they did during this search. They reached out to plenty of people asking questions. They others.................... crickets. 

The only truths that I heard throughout the search was Cristobal, his proposed assistants list, Sark's interview, and Napier's pay demand. The rest was just noise.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

can you tell us why bo was screaming at one of the coaches during one of the games this year?

30 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can you tell us why bo was screaming at one of the coaches during one of the games this year?

He's a little entitled would be my guess. Plus the coaches were a bunch of sissies. Bo won't be doing that to this staff. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The only truths that I heard throughout the search was Cristobal, his proposed assistants list, Sark's interview, and Napier's pay demand. The rest was just noise.

Mario's buyout wasn't 9 million and move in the 2 to 3 million range, a deal would have been done. In the end, we got a good one I do believe. 

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He's a little entitled would be my guess. Plus the coaches were a bunch of sissies. Bo won't be doing that to this staff. 

Bobo will snatch him up quickly if he ever tries anything like that and that's a blessing for Nix. He doesn't want Harsin to get to him.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Mario's buyout wasn't 9 million and move in the 2 to 3 million range, a deal would have been done. In the end, we got a good one I do believe. 

I agree. I just hated that MC had wanted the job for two+years and we couldn't make it work. I do believe CBH is the right fit for what we need now and what will be needed in a few years when Saban steps down

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree. I just hated that MC had wanted the job for two+years and we couldn't make it work. I do believe CBH is the right fit for what we need now and what will be needed in a few years when Saban steps down

I think we came out better in the end.

15 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think we came out better in the end.

I think so too. As CBH says, it's about the fit and while MC would've fit, I think CBH fits a little better.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think so too. As CBH says, it's about the fit and while MC would've fit, I think CBH fits a little better.

I think CBH is the better fit for long term and lasting change to the culture and toughness angle.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I think CBH is the better fit for long term and lasting change to the culture and toughness angle.

Don't kid yourself, MC would've been perfect for both culture and attitude. Where I think CBH is a better fit is with his experience in building and sustaining a program.  I'm excited for the future with CBH at the helm.

14 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I wonder if part of the PR issue stems from Greene being a more low-key type of AD. He doesn't seek out publicity. So when the rumors were flying and some of the negative press was being put forth on how Auburn was handling the search, Greene could have put something out while it was going on, reassuring the Auburn fanbase the search was going as planned and Greene stating that what you read is not factual.  

But Greene doesn't respond that way since he has been our AD. So is that bad? not necessarily in most cases. But for such a high profile, hot topic like our HC search, it might have been stabilizing, and shutting up some of the click bait journalism that was being put out there might have calmed the auburn fans down as well as shut up the 'negative Nancys'.

But so far I like How Greene carries himself in such a tough stretch we all have gone through with athletics. 

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if part of the PR issue stems from Greene being a more low-key type of AD. He doesn't seek out publicity. So when the rumors were flying and some of the negative press was being put forth on how Auburn was handling the search, Greene could have put something out while it was going on, reassuring the Auburn fanbase the search was going as planned and Greene stating that what you read is not factual.  

But Greene doesn't respond that way since he has been our AD. So is that bad? not necessarily in most cases. But for such a high profile, hot topic like our HC search, it might have been stabilizing, and shutting up some of the click bait journalism that was being put out there might have calmed the auburn fans down as well as shut up the 'negative Nancys'.

But so far I like How Greene carries himself in such a tough stretch we all have gone through with athletics. 

I agree that Greene won the situation in the end - the perception is that Auburn is a circus with the boosters trying to control everything. The view is that there is no clear leadership (especially in the AD office). That’s a stigma that continues to stick to Auburn since the 90’s.

I think Greene proved some of that wrong with this hire. He needs to continue to build credibility by making great hires. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Screw what anyone outside AU thinks. All that matters is that we think & take care of our own business.

We’ll have to agree to disagree - I’m coming at this with the angle that perception is reality. Like it or not that perception affects recruiting, hiring the best coaches, fundraising, etc. If the national perception is that Auburn is a circus with no clear leadership (just the good Ole boy system), it affects our ability to attract the best talent. 

Archived