2021 3* Juco LB Joko Willis Signs With AU!

ellitor

Based off the film I have been able to see willis and bridges are my two favorite recruits we are pursuing on D. Long, Physical players with a sideline to sideline motor. 

• Like 1

Kablooey!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wow....another position of need?

Who is working the recruiting now days?  Something is amiss.

haha - 

3 days, 3 commits and the hits just keep coming!!!

• Haha 1

LB Joko Willis commits to the Tigers

8 minutes ago

Joko Willis, the No. 2 junior college inside linebacker nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, will be a Tiger.

Willis, a former Kentucky commit from Independence Community College in Kansas, was offered by the Tigers on Monday morning and he quickly committed to coach Bryan Harsin, defensive coordinator Derek Mason and inside linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding.

“It’s just like a dream offer,” he said. “I’ve always wanted it.”

Willis graduated from Troup in 2019, but was a non-qualifier. He landed at Independence, then redshirted that year. The program’s 2020 season was postponed due to Covid-19. Because of that, it’s possible Willis will have four years of eligibility at his next stop.

Until recently, he was a Kentucky commit. But he backed off that pledge last Tuesday.

What kind of athlete is Willis? We asked his former coach at LaGrange (Ga.) Troup High, Tanner Glisson.

13COMMENTS

“He was the only player in my career who one year, his junior year, was an Atlanta Journal- Constitution first-team all-state player at linebacker and the next year was AJC first team all-state at wide receiver,” Glisson said. He’s just tough, instinctive — very tough. He's an extremely athletic player. He’s very hard to block. He’s got a nose for getting around blocks. He’s a freak athletically. I’ve got three in the SEC right now and he’s just as good as any I’ve ever had.”

Willis is the 15th member of the 2021 Auburn recruiting class. That includes 11 signees and now four commits. He is the lone linebacker thus far in the class.

• Like 1

Took a little longer to get it going than i was expecting but we are a moving now!! Woohoo! Welcome to AU Willis!!

You know if i was to guess on what kind of JUCO LB we planned to take i would have said a MLB and not an OLB. I think both Pappoe and Mclain would make excellent OLBs in a 3-4 scheme. I could see Mclain staying inside just because he is so dang good at it. But hopefully Pappoe gets to play in space on the outside. I seem to recall us signing some thumpers last season Steiner for example so maybe they will be ready to contribute this next season and we won't be hurting in the middle like i'm thinking. 

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* Juco LB Joko Willis Commits to AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

A lot of OLB in those highlights

My first thought as well after being listed as ILB

Love this part:

"He’s just tough, instinctive — very tough."

Joko...another "University of Auburn"

I'm pretty sure our coaches keep saying this b/c they don't know where their coaching yet.  Gotta get this fixed. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

A JUCO with potentially 4 years of eligibility with us = a really mature true freshman. 💪🏼

• Like 1

A position of need. So far the new coaches are starting to have an impact on this years class.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of OLB in those highlights

He plays more like an OLB, to me, if there is such a thing. He seems to use more agility than power. I don't see him running through people as much as quickly navigating through the crowd, to the ball carrier, and then wrapping the ball carrier up (well). It will be interesting to see what the LB coaches do with him. With a name like Joko I was expecting him to be more of the "destroy everything in front of me" type LB. 🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Another addition to the all Auburn name team

You're joking me right?

Is he our first Samoan player?   🙄

Edited by Beaker

1 minute ago, Auburn Hardware said:

I don’t understand how you become the #2 JUCO LB in the country without playing a down in college. How does that work?

My guess would be scrimmage  tape put together of him. He does have hudl tape of him in juco FWIW.