T-Will to Miami to UCF as DC

Tigerpro2a

ok folks we can all relax. dan mullins says it is ok..................

Florida’s Dan Mullen reacts to Gus Malzahn to UCF: ‘I’ve always had a lot of respect’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
2 minutes

Count Dan Mullen as one of those excited to see Gus Malzahn back on the sidelines.

Malzahn, the former Auburn coach, was hired as UCF’s new coach on Monday.

On Tuesday, the Florida coach was asked about the new hire during a press conference on Tuesday.

“I’m really happy for Gus,” Mullen said, per the Orlando Sentinel. “I’m good friends with Gus. I’ve known him for a long time. I remember going out to visit him in Arkansas as a high school coach and him coming to spend days here and us talking a lot of football together. Him and his wife, Kristi, I mean great people.

“I’ve always had a lot of respect.”

Mullen and Malzahn are 3-3 head to head as coaches.

“He’s always done a great job and been really successful. Been an innovator,” Mullen said of Malzahn. “I think he’ll do a great job. I think everybody at UCF should be really excited to have him come in.”

Malzahn received a five-year deal with an annual salary of $2.3 million.

The 55-year-old Malzahn was 68-35 in eight years with the Tigers, never having a losing season and going 39-27 in the Southeastern Conference. He led Auburn to the BCS title game in his first season as head coach in 2013, and was offensive coordinator at Auburn in 2010 when Cam Newton powered the Tigers to the national championship.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO both T-Will and Gus are too good for UCF; it's like coaching at, oh say, Boise State or something. Now these 2 guys together at a Washington or a North Carolina....

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMHO both T-Will and Gus are too good for UCF; it's like coaching at, oh say, Boise State or something. Now these 2 guys together at a Washington or a North Carolina....

I dont think it will be too long before you see Gus at somewhere like a Louisville or NC State. A school that has been successful in recent history but needs something/someone new. I seem to remember Virginia Tech fans wanting him in December. I would say Florida State might come calling, but I'm not sure anyone wants a piece of that crap show.

17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

They don't compare to the coach already at Washington

Lol. "Too good for UCF". Hahahaaha

I think most of us know what a silly thing that is to say about Gus. But with regards to TWill, he just skipped to the front of the line. He couldn't have possibly hoped to already be a DC at a top-end G5 program in the most talent-rich state in the country. I'm very happy for him and I think he can succeed, but make no mistake about it. Maaaaany more qualified candidates didn't get phone calls. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lol. "Too good for UCF". Hahahaaha

I think most of us know what a silly thing that is to say about Gus. But with regards to TWill, he just skipped to the front of the line. He couldn't have possibly hoped to already be a DC at a top-end G5 program in the most talent-rich state in the country. I'm very happy for him and I think he can succeed, but make no mistake about it. Maaaaany more qualified candidates didn't get phone calls. 

did TWill learn most of his stuff from joe whitt sr? i hope he does well. i watched gus on finebaum and he remains a class act. he never said one bad thing about auburn. he also said the two week or so break he got was his first one in over thirty years and he feels refreshed and ready to go. i will pull for him unless the play auburn. he made me as mad as anyone but i sure did like him for the most part. i still do not understand why no auburn players were not allowed to pop in and visit other than cam and bo.

Archived