new coach is falling behind (merged threads)

autiger88

This is the Article so we don't give them clicks. 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Auburn’s new football coach is falling behind already

Updated 12:58 PM; Today 7:35 AM

What Bryan Harsin said about his first Auburn recruiting class.

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

If he hadn’t figured it out already, then it should be obvious to him after Wednesday’s National Signing Day. Bryan Harsin, the new football coach at Auburn, has one of the most difficult jobs in America.

This pandemic, he says, is only making it that much more challenging.

A good day for the former Boise State coach, at this point, would be getting to know seven Alabama high school coaches on the Zoom app. Over in Tuscaloosa, Nick Saban just signed seven five-stars amid a recruiting class that’s apparently rated higher than the ribs at Archibald’s. (Get yours now for the Super Bowl while you can.)

This isn’t just about Saban vs. Harsin, though.

Harsin was hired to, in his words, consistently compete for SEC and national championships, but in his first competition the Tigers finished 30th in recruiting. That’s obviously terrible for a program geographically located in the South’s golden triangle of recruiting and is so extravagantly wealthy that it had the money to buy out Gus Malzahn during the worst year financially for many people since the Great Depression.

They used to call Auburn Running Back U, but as of Thursday this signing class of 2021 didn’t have a single one. That’s troubling and has to change.

UPDATE: Auburn adds three-star running back

It’s not the most worrisome thing, though.

What’s downright got me scared is that Auburn lost out to Kentucky for a linebacker from Georgia, but this Auburn class only features one linebacker in the entire group. And he’s a JUCO player.

RELATED: 5 takeaways from Auburn’s 2021 recruiting class

RELATED: Bryan Harsin describes first experience recruiting for Auburn

I’m sure that Joko Willis of Independence Community College (LaGrange, Ga., native) is going to be excellent, but this world where Auburn loses linebackers to Kentucky isn’t one I want to know. Auburn should be able to pick and choose from the best defenders in Georgia, Alabama and Florida every year.

I’m not saying that’s the standard Harsin needs to establish. I’m saying that even in its worst year, with Happy Gilmore coaching the team and Daffy Duck as the defensive coordinator, Auburn should be able to fall out of bed half-drunk and sign one of the best collections of defenders in the country.

Other columnists who have to worry about keeping people happy can list the reasons Harsin should get a pass for this recruiting class. That’s not my job because that’s ignoring the truth. Blame it on Malzahn. Blame it on Kevin Steele. Blame in on the new recruiting calendar. Whatever. None of that matters.

What matters is Harsin was handpicked by a search committee that featured none other than Bo Jackson to take Auburn to a place it has never known, and suddenly it’s pretty much there: dead last in the SEC West. Here are the national recruiting rankings of the toughest division in American sports:

(1) Alabama

(4) LSU

(7) Texas A&M

(18) Ole Miss

(24) Arkansas

(25) Mississippi State

(30) Auburn

GOODMAN: Tennessee the only loser on National Signing Day

Auburn signed six players on Wednesday to go along with the 11 that Malzahn signed in December. People are trying to call that a victory for Harsin. That’s not the truth. That’s taking pity on a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti.

And don’t tell me there are no gazelles on the Serengeti because I don’t care.

You worried about Auburn now? Nah? All is well on The Plains because Harsin is getting a pass?

Don’t believe it.

There are no passes in the SEC West, and especially not for Auburn after it fired Malzahn for going 6-4 in the most difficult regular season of college football in the history of the sport. Do y’all realize that Malzahn won more than five SEC games just three times in his entire run with Auburn and one of those was his very first?

And now y’all want to give Harsin a pass. Soft.

Maybe there are new rules for Harsin. Maybe he’s not going to be held up to the same scrutiny as Malzahn. That’s fine. Someone needs to tell me that, though, because I didn’t get that email from fans when he was hired.

Harsin was a great coach in Idaho, and Auburn brought him in to modernize the program and make it more professional (and less down home). That’s a good idea, but recruiting is still the driving engine of success in the SEC last time I checked.

Lying to the man does him no favors. Never mind Alabama, Georgia and LSU, Harsin is losing ground in the SEC West to Texas A&M and now Ole Miss. Meanwhile, he can’t even go around to all the high schools and meet their coaches in person.

I feel for the guy, but no one is going to care about that in October. 

That's on Gus not on him, hell in a month he moved us up ten spots jeez. I don't understand why everybody is on his case. Gus left this program almost bare, he is doing what he needs to do to compete give him a year before y'all complain if he hasnt got us in the top 15 in recruiting by December then y'all can complain but I still think that will be too soon.

• autiger88 changed the title to Warning AL.com Article. Joseph Goodman is an Idiot.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Goodman’s an idiot. Pretty much never writes much that is positive about Auburn.

I knew he was an idiot but I didn't think this bad, I mean really Harsin has been here less then two months and still moved us up better then what we thought he would in that short of time and he decides to write an article putting our new coach on blast saying he is failing. I mean really shut up fool. 

25 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/02/auburns-new-football-coach-is-falling-behind-already.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=auburntigers_sf 

That's on Gus not on him, hell in a month he moved us up ten spots jeez. I don't understand why everybody is on his case. Gus left this program almost bare, he is doing what he needs to do to compete give him a year before y'all complain if he hasnt got us in the top 15 in recruiting by December then y'all can complain but I still think that will be too soon.

If you want to see clowns, go to the circus. This type of article isn't new and will continue. Don't feed them! 

Goodman is bammer troll. My favorite part of the article was his criticism of AU/Harsin for not signing a RB, when the next article, only 90 minutes later, was about Jarquez Hunter signing. 🤣

37 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I knew he was an idiot but I didn't think this bad, I mean really Harsin has been here less then two months and still moved us up better then what we thought he would in that short of time and he decides to write an article putting our new coach on blast saying he is failing. I mean really shut up fool. 

I just don't understand the attempt at a negative spin of CBH for this class. I mean it's just like there isn't even an attempt to be thoughtful. He has barely had parts of his staff in place for a month and pulled the class up over 10 spots. Even some of our own fans were attempting to lay blame at Harsin's feet. Jeezbus.

Also, AL.douche Dude knows that all he has to do is start the negative spin and he will get clicks. 

*eta Sorry if this isn't exactly coherent. I just ate a meat and 3 at my local lunch grub joint(meatloaf, cabbage, greens, black eyed peas, cornbread muffin) so my bloodflood is reduced to my already challenged brain.

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I just don't understand the attempt at a negative spin of CBH for this class. I mean it's just like there isn't even an attempt to be thoughtful. He has barely had parts of his staff in place for a month and pulled the class up over 10 spots. Even some of our own fans were attempting to lay blame at Harsin's feet. Jeezbus.

Also, AL.douche Dude knows that all he has to do is start the negative spin and he will get clicks. 

*eta Sorry if this isn't exactly coherent. I just ate a meat and 3 at my local lunch grub joint(meatloaf, cabbage, greens, black eyed peas, cornbread muffin) so my bloodflood is reduced to my already challenged brain.

Its ok thanks for the laugh 😂

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That's all he was doing. ANd it worked. Looked someone set up a thread, now others are going to read his article and comment here about how lame he is for what he is writing.

I had already read it and knowing his articles from before, It is his M.O. to write articles that stick out even though they make no logical sense.

We know that Harsin is in a no win situation for this recruiting class, especially when the ESD was instituted and most P5 schools had already signed 95 % of the top level players. 

Behind? OFC Harsin is behind, but we all know that was going to be a given. 

And Goodman saying Gus didn't win more than 5 SEC games but 3 times in his career, failed to note that Gus only actually did it twice, when you throw in this year when we played 10 SEC games. Gus wouldn't have gotten to 6 in a normal season.

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's all he was doing. ANd it worked. Looked someone set up a thread, now others are going to read his article and comment here about how lame he is for what he is writing.

I had already read it and knowing his articles from before, It is his M.O. to write articles that stick out even though they make no logical sense.

We know that Harsin is in a no win situation for this recruiting class, especially when the ESD was instituted and most P5 schools had already signed 95 % of the top level players. 

Behind? OFC Harsin is behind, but we all know that was going to be a given. 

And Goodman saying Gus didn't win more than 5 SEC games but 3 times in his career, failed to note that Gus only actually did it twice, when you throw in this year when we played 10 SEC games. Gus wouldn't have gotten to 6 in a normal season.

I fixed it to where people don't have to click on the Article but can still read it. WDE!

• autiger88 changed the title to AL.com Article. Joseph Goodman is an Idiot. No click-bait just article.
8 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I fixed it to where people don't have to click on the Article but can still read it. WDE!

Thank you because I refuse to open any page on al.com

Goodman obviously doesn’t realize that a lot of recruiting is a long game and not a short game.  Years of high school camps, building relationships with area coaches, parents, and the kids.  Typical clickbait journalism to rile people up for views.

Its very easy to just look at the end result of the class and say oh look the Auburn coaches can't recruit! Its a controversial opinion designed to get people to link the article around so it gets clicks. Same thing happens to bama whenever we beat them. Oh the Nick Saban dynasty is over!!! blah blah blah. This is what sports writing in the internet age is.....click bait

37 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Oh no.  Cabbage, greens and peas?   Your gas will be fragrant tonight. 

Not even going to read it. He was enjoying the Twitter hate this morning. It is what it is. It's a lot more inflammatory and drives a lot more business than "Harsin does an admirable job cobbling together a respectable class." Honestly, it's almost more fun. We get to dunk on him if, this time next year, we have a solid class.

Find the silver linings people. No more anger. Auburn football is supposed to be fun; being disrespected by ALcom is like dying, Thanos, and paying taxes... it's inevitable

I read the article . Right now nobody can compare to saban so that argument is s*** . This article was nothing more than some a**hole beating down a new staff that had 20 mins to recruit . The guy is miserable. Harsin will right the ship 

Not even exaggerating when I say Goodman is the most insufferable sports writer I've ever read. He is a condescending, ivory tower liberal who fundamentally hates the state of Alabama and spews the perspective of a person bitter that the world isn't as enlightened as him. He wrote articles all summer about how "insane" the state was to consider football, and how unethical it was. Yet, the unabashed hypocrite had no problem covering the teams. 

Lololol he is a cringemaster. A sportswriter who hates sports (except for soccer, of course).

This is one of the most moronic articles I have ever read on any subject. Makes the Bleacher Report hacks look like William Faulkner.

Yes, Saban is crushing it, but Harsin has to build a foundation before he can haul in 5-star recruits. Anyone thinking this class was going to compete with Alabama's haul coming off of a national championship is an idiot. It's not like it's the dumpster fire at Tennessee either. Does anyone actually think if Malzahn was still the coach he would have done better? Harsin had no say over the 11 players signed in early December and the staff did a good job selling the program with the recruits who signed this week. There are still grad transfers and JUCO players who may enhance the final ranking. There are key positions that need immediate help, and maybe 18-year-old freshmen just weren't to ready to fill those gaps.

My expectations from this staff in year 1 are discipline, accountability, leadership, preparation, and getting the most out of the players on hand, ie competitiveness while still having fun. This is the breath of fresh air that Pat Dye brought to Auburn. I'm hoping Harsin can do something similar. If he can achieve this against SEC competition, then  the 4 & 5-star recruits will come. Anyone thinks Auburn is 1 or 2 recruiting cycles away from competing with the big boys is kidding themselves. There is some talent on-hand, enough to compete with the bottom half of the SEC. Auburn needs to win the games it should and send a message to the rest of the league and potential recruits that the program has moved on from Malzahn.

I believe Harsin can do great things at Auburn, but it is going to take at least 3-4 recruiting cycles before we are discussing potential 10-win seasons. Half the staff haven't even coached/recruited in the south prior to the past four weeks. Building a program takes time. Hell, Saban barely coached Alabama back to respectability in his first year. If you're a long-term Auburn fan, then you already know a lot about patience. Now is the time to be patient, let the staff do what they were hired to do, and give them some breathing room. There will be some mistakes and severe challenges along the road back to relevancy. The new facility will be a reality in less than 18 months, and hopefully it will be a game-changer. Regardless, I have confidence that if Harsin can build a perennial winner in Idaho, he can be successful at Auburn.

What is really sad is the number of folks who emulate the shock-jocks and mean-spirited “journalists” like Finebaum in an effort to get clicks and make a name for themselves.  A number of them do succeed, but the name they make for themselves is trash. 

I’ve seen quite a few posts on here that have said basically the same thing that article said.

Also another thing I’m confused about is people saying AL.com never writes anything positive about Auburn but what exactly has been positive to write about these past few years? It’s hard to write something positive about a average/mediocre team every year

try not to shoot the messenger fellows. i just post articles i think the fam would want to see and i do not agree with every article i post for the record.

al.com

Auburn’s new football coach is falling behind already

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com
5-6 minutes

If he hadn’t figured it out already, then it should be obvious to him after Wednesday’s National Signing Day. Bryan Harsin, the new football coach at Auburn, has one of the most difficult jobs in America.

This pandemic, he says, is only making it that much more challenging.

A good day for the former Boise State coach, at this point, would be getting to know seven Alabama high school coaches on the Zoom app. Over in Tuscaloosa, Nick Saban just signed seven five-stars amid a recruiting class that’s apparently rated higher than the ribs at Archibald’s. (Get yours now for the Super Bowl while you can.)

This isn’t just about Saban vs. Harsin, though.

Harsin was hired to, in his words, consistently compete for SEC and national championships, but in his first competition the Tigers finished 30th in recruiting. That’s obviously terrible for a program geographically located in the South’s golden triangle of recruiting and is so extravagantly wealthy that it had the money to buy out Gus Malzahn during the worst year financially for many people since the Great Depression.

They used to call Auburn Running Back U, but as of Thursday this signing class of 2021 didn’t have a single one. That’s troubling and has to change.

UPDATE: Auburn adds three-star running back

It’s not the most worrisome thing, though.

What’s downright got me scared is that Auburn lost out to Kentucky for a linebacker from Georgia, but this Auburn class only features one linebacker in the entire group. And he’s a JUCO player.

RELATED: 5 takeaways from Auburn’s 2021 recruiting class

RELATED: Bryan Harsin describes first experience recruiting for Auburn

I’m sure that Joko Willis of Independence Community College (LaGrange, Ga., native) is going to be excellent, but this world where Auburn loses linebackers to Kentucky isn’t one I want to know. Auburn should be able to pick and choose from the best defenders in Georgia, Alabama and Florida every year.

I’m not saying that’s the standard Harsin needs to establish. I’m saying that even in its worst year, with Happy Gilmore coaching the team and Daffy Duck as the defensive coordinator, Auburn should be able to fall out of bed half-drunk and sign one of the best collections of defenders in the country.

Other columnists who have to worry about keeping people happy can list the reasons Harsin should get a pass for this recruiting class. That’s not my job because that’s ignoring the truth. Blame it on Malzahn. Blame it on Kevin Steele. Blame in on the new recruiting calendar. Whatever. None of that matters.

What matters is Harsin was handpicked by a search committee that featured none other than Bo Jackson to take Auburn to a place it has never known, and suddenly it’s pretty much there: dead last in the SEC West. Here are the national recruiting rankings of the toughest division in American sports:

(1) Alabama

(4) LSU

(7) Texas A&M

(18) Ole Miss

(24) Arkansas

(25) Mississippi State

(30) Auburn

GOODMAN: Tennessee the only loser on National Signing Day

Auburn signed six players on Wednesday to go along with the 11 that Malzahn signed in December. People are trying to call that a victory for Harsin. That’s not the truth. That’s taking pity on a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti.

And don’t tell me there are no gazelles on the Serengeti because I don’t care.

You worried about Auburn now? Nah? All is well on The Plains because Harsin is getting a pass?

Don’t believe it.

There are no passes in the SEC West, and especially not for Auburn after it fired Malzahn for going 6-4 in the most difficult regular season of college football in the history of the sport. Do y’all realize that Malzahn won more than five SEC games just three times in his entire run with Auburn and one of those was his very first?

And now y’all want to give Harsin a pass. Soft.

Maybe there are new rules for Harsin. Maybe he’s not going to be held up to the same scrutiny as Malzahn. That’s fine. Someone needs to tell me that, though, because I didn’t get that email from fans when he was hired.

Harsin was a great coach in Idaho, and Auburn brought him in to modernize the program and make it more professional (and less down home). That’s a good idea, but recruiting is still the driving engine of success in the SEC last time I checked.

Lying to the man does him no favors. Never mind Alabama, Georgia and LSU, Harsin is losing ground in the SEC West to Texas A&M and now Ole Miss. Meanwhile, he can’t even go around to all the high schools and meet their coaches in person.

I feel for the guy, but no one is going to care about that in October.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group. He’s on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

3 hours ago, GreenDrazi said:

Goodman is bammer troll. My favorite part of the article was his criticism of AU/Harsin for not signing a RB, when the next article, only 90 minutes later, was about Jarquez Hunter signing. 🤣

Yeah, but the narrative's not going to change until we start inking 4*s minimum. That was not going to happen this year with the mess Gus left, but next year that tide needs to start turning.

Still, I have to give CBH credit for boosting our class from 48 to 27.

Archived