new coach is falling behind (merged threads)

autiger88

I don't like Goodman's tone and he certainly is just another media hack.  It's pathetic that the "National Enquirer" approach to journalism is now the new norm.

However, buried in his venom are a lot of truths.  Recruiting this year was horrible.  But what do you expect?  I think Malzahn knew he was getting canned and put no effort into recruiting.  Harsin only put his staff together a couple of weeks ago.  So.... yeah....ugly recruiting year.

And this coming Fall is probably going to be a nightmare to watch.  We've lost a lot of players and we didn't bring a lot in so as a fan base we had better mentally prepare ourselves.  Come October, after several losses, the annual "Who's gonna be the next Auburn coach"  thread is only gonna make it harder for Harsin to recruit.  This coming Fall we really need to focus on the positives in things like player progression and recruiting wins.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, countoff said:

And this coming Fall is probably going to be a nightmare to watch. 

I bet it won’t. Our roster is not suddenly Vandy level. Our roster looked devoid of talent in 2012 while we limped to a 3 win season. A year later we won an SEC title and played for a Natty. This fall you will still see a team more talented than most of the teams we play and less talented than UAT, UGA, LSU, and Tamu. Because of Harsin, you will see that team play with better game plans, more discipline, and more physically fit. And since a team’s play reflects the confidence they have in their coaches, you will see a more confident team. Does a trip to Atlanta await us next fall? I bet not. But 7-8 wins, with an upset or two I’m counting on it. War Eagle 🦅 

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I bet it won’t. Our roster is not suddenly Vandy level. Our roster looked devoid of talent in 2012 while we limped to a 3 win season. A year later we won an SEC title and played for a Natty. This fall you will still see a team more talented than most of the teams we play and less talented than UAT, UGA, LSU, and Tamu. Because of Harsin, you will see that team play with better game plans, more discipline, and more physically fit. And since a team’s play reflects the confidence they have in their coaches, you will see a more confident team. Does a trip to Atlanta await us next fall? I bet not. But 7-8 wins, with an upset or two I’m counting on it. War Eagle 🦅 

I'm guessing 8-4, if we can find a solid LT.  I think that will be Harsin's floor and not his norm.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

But 7-8 wins, with an upset or two I’m counting on it. War Eagle 🦅 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm guessing 8-4, if we can find a solid LT.  I think that will be Harsin's floor and not his norm.

Well I guess this makes me the grumpy ole "glass half empty" guy.

giphy.gif

I'm betting you two get invited to a lot more parties than I do.

8-4?....7-5?  Assuming Harsin is our next great Auburn HC, I think those are good year 2 expectations followed by a kickazz year 3. 

3 minutes ago, countoff said:

8-4?....7-5?  Assuming Harsin is our next great Auburn HC, I think those are good year 2 expectations followed by a kickazz year 3. 

Actually, the roster is in very good shape, and more experienced than last year. I'm expecting 9-3 or better. The major losses are at WR and it appears we have a very solid group there, ready to move into starting roles.

Just depends on whether or not we have a QB. If we don't get a LOT better under center then it's going to be another long year. We should hit 8 wins just by getting off the bus each week but all 8 win seasons are not created equal.

• WarTiger changed the title to new coach is falling behind (merged threads)
46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Actually, the roster is in very good shape, and more experienced than last year. I'm expecting 9-3 or better. The major losses are at WR and it appears we have a very solid group there, ready to move into starting roles.

True, but it is a whole new system on both sides of the ball,  new responsibilities., new techniques and an actual playbook lo learn from scratch.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

True, but it is a whole new system on both sides of the ball,  new responsibilities., new techniques and an actual playbook lo learn from scratch.

This is why I'm going with a maximum of 8 wins with an err rate of -1/+1. 

What is really bad about this article he says that coming in late after original staff is dropped just before early NSD and having limited time to put a staff together having a very small number of 4* or better players (30) he still though Harsin should have been able to save this class class and have a class that competed with the big boys. 

Next year's class needs to be better than the class the year after needs to be great because he is correct unless we cut down the recruiting advantage of teams like bama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU we won't be competing in the big games year in and year out.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I’m just curious how you determine the WR crew as “solid”. I thought I saw where there are very few positive stats in that group unless you are looking at size and speed only which many times hasn’t always meant “catch stats”.

34 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m just curious how you determine the WR crew as “solid”. I thought I saw where there are very few positive stats in that group unless you are looking at size and speed only which many times hasn’t always meant “catch stats”.

Lots of talent, but no, almost no production.

18 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

They were highly regarded recruits and when thy got an opportunity, they performed well. With three upperclassman starters and a schedule of all-SEC games there weren't going to be a bunch of passes thrown to them last season.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, Mikey said:

Really going hard in the paint setting up the post 2021 "See we shouldn't have fire Gus" comments

22 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

One guy made one play in a pointless bowl game.

There is now a video on AL.com where Goodman breaks this article down. He’s really milking this one.  I did not watch it, so no idea what his breakdown is. PLEASE, no one watch. It’s exactly what he wants. What an amazing jerk.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, countoff said:

I don't like Goodman's tone and he certainly is just another media hack.  It's pathetic that the "National Enquirer" approach to journalism is now the new norm.

However, buried in his venom are a lot of truths.  Recruiting this year was horrible.  But what do you expect?  I think Malzahn knew he was getting canned and put no effort into recruiting.  Harsin only put his staff together a couple of weeks ago.  So.... yeah....ugly recruiting year.

And this coming Fall is probably going to be a nightmare to watch.  We've lost a lot of players and we didn't bring a lot in so as a fan base we had better mentally prepare ourselves.  Come October, after several losses, the annual "Who's gonna be the next Auburn coach"  thread is only gonna make it harder for Harsin to recruit.  This coming Fall we really need to focus on the positives in things like player progression and recruiting wins.

I disagree. I think this will be a very exciting season to watch for a number of reasons. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, Mikey said:

While I don't see the doom and gloom of the guy above, I do not think the roster is in "very good shape" either. 

I believe we have a lot of young, unproven but talented players. There are 3 things that I think will determine whether we are a 6 or 7 win team compared to a 8 to 9 win team.

Number one, how much can the new staff improve Bo between now and season. It definitely helps that we should have a spring and normal camp, as well as a few cupcakes to get going.

Number 2, How much better will the OL be? IF we can get a couple good Transfer OTs I would feel a lot better about the situation. I think we have pieces to be solid at C and G, but we are hurting at OT. I think if we can at least find a good LT, and the returning guys get some good weight room training this year...we can be ok.

Number 3- How long will it take our D to adjust to new scheme. Again, I think we will have some room to make mistakes with the cupcakes coming in so that helps. I think overall on D we will be good, but there will be growing pains. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:13 AM, countoff said:

Well I guess this makes me the grumpy ole "glass half empty" guy.

giphy.gif

I'm betting you two get invited to a lot more parties than I do.

I'm guessing 6-6 this year and then around 8-4 next.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:11 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I agree and I’m worried about the scheme changes and how we’ll adjust. This is not like when Malzahn came in and was still familiar with the offensive personal and they were already familiar with his scheme. I hope people aren’t underestimating the impact this could have. Look at Kirbys first season and uga for an example. And they had way more talent returning than we do. 

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

I agree and I’m worried about the scheme changes and how we’ll adjust. This is not like when Malzahn came in and was still familiar with the offensive personal and they were already familiar with his scheme. I hope people aren’t underestimating the impact this could have. Look at Kirbys first season and uga for an example. And they had way more talent returning than we do. 

I look at it differently, albeit optimistically. The players will be elated to have a real scheme that enables them to succeed. And, I mean, it's not like they were very good at the old one. Not a shot at them. They were just woefully underprepared and it was a scheme built to fail.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, countoff said:

just for the record chiz said gus was shocked he was fired.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Not sure you can take that “to the bank”. He has every reason to make AU look bad.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Not sure you can take that “to the bank”. He has every reason to make AU look bad.

morning hank. in the article where chiz said he talked to gus chiz said gus told him. i have no reason to to doubt it. lots of folks to include many on here gus thought he was safe at 6 and 5 last year because of covid. that being said i cannot prove anyone lied.

personally i think we are ahead of the game. we have only been really good under gus as head coach maybe three years? so if we get the same we lose no ground and truly are building for the future.

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

He probably thought his buyout made him untouchable in the light of COVID losses. He was wrong.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

He probably thought his buyout made him untouchable in the light of COVID losses. He was wrong.

Take away the incentives to be great and you're left with the trash we saw the last 3 years.

Cue the, "but we beat bama!" crowd.

Archived