Chizik reflects on Malzahn’s firing

aubiefifty

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“It wasn’t like he went 3-7 on the year, you know? It was a 6-4 year

So Chizik thinks 6 wins is solid too. 🤔

Regardless of his firing...the happiest guy in America with the move is Nick Saban....who else beat Nick more than once????

14 hours ago, gravejd said:

Seems more and more likely that the contract Gus got after 2017 was the worst thing to happen to him. After he got that he thought he could relax and once you relax just a tad it’s over in the SECw.

Adding to that point, I believe it made Gus believe he was a lot better of a HC than he really was.   Can’t blame him for that really.  Win a couple of big games, get a fat check, yeah I would believe that myself.   The main takeaway for AU is to never fall into this trap where we feel the coach has all the power.  I cringe as I write this - Gus having the power to put AU in the position to make a bad choice.   Ugh. 

10 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Probably does have more to do with my relative newness to posting than anything else.

Just keep posting. Multiple viewpoints are a good thing

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Probably does have more to do with my relative newness to posting than anything else.

I mean keep doing your thing, but you can't really tell people to just move on because you don't want to hear it. There may be something in the future that you want to discuss that other people don't want to hear but I'll be right there for you saying you have the right to discuss what you want to discuss

4 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Regardless of his firing...the happiest guy in America with the move is Nick Saban....who else beat Nick more than once????

Lol at the thought that Nick cared at all

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I mean keep doing your thing, but you can't really tell people to just move on because you don't want to hear it. There may be something in the future that you want to discuss that other people don't want to hear but I'll be right there for you saying you have the right to discuss what you want to discuss

I really meant it was time for “media types” to move on to more relevant recent happenings in the AU venue as much more positive activity has been taking place.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I really meant it was time for “media types” to move on to more relevant recent happenings in the AU venue as much more positive activity has been taking place.

Gotcha. I think maybe some people felt like you were talking to the guy you quoted. It's all good!

Just now, cole256 said:

Gotcha. I think maybe some people felt like you were talking to the guy you quoted. It's all good!

Yep, didn’t do a good job with that one. Better attempts in my future hopefully.

8 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Yep, didn’t do a good job with that one. Better attempts in my future hopefully.

Nothing to worry about, you're already  in the upper echelon of posters in my book

14 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This is how people who don't want to win talk.  I am hoping Harsin is much more of a plausible deniability guy than a teetotaler.

Also, I am not shocked in the least bit that Gus was surprised he was fired.  The guy has no self awareness at all.  Also, lol at 7 wins.  We were lucky the refs won us the Arky game or it'd been 5-5.

Ha we easily could have been and probably should have been 4-6. Refs gave us Ole Miss and Arky. Honestly, If The refs didn't blow the TD call in the UK game, I don't think we win that one either. I don't recall a team being given 3 wins by refs in my lifetime. What a crazy season.Gus' reach with non AU fans was prodigious to say the least.

I think Gus felt he had earned more slack in getting more time to right the ship. 
And when you don’t want to be fired or leave the place you care for, you tend to come up with reasons like “we had a solid year”. 
Gus was simply hoping he would get another year. 
And Chizik is a coach and a friend of Gus’. I would expect him to respond the way he did. 

what they don’t want to admit to is that Gus’ firing wasn’t about one 6-4 year but a body of work over 8 that was not meeting the requirements of ‘consistently competing for championships’. 

54 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

what they don’t want to admit to is that Gus’ firing wasn’t about one 6-4 year but a body of work over 8 that was not meeting the requirements of ‘consistently competing for championships’. 

And this was very evident before he received his golden parachute.

17 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Not a strategy that Auburn's Athletic department is very familiar with. 

To fire a guy and crawfish on his buyout, the school first has to catch the coach doing something illegal. See Pruitt at Tennessee. Gus wasn't in that category.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

To fire a guy and crawfish on his buyout, the school first has to catch the coach doing something illegal. See Pruitt at Tennessee. Gus wasn't in that category.

It's a shame he didn't have more Hugh Freeze in him or we could've dumped him sooner.  The last 3 years have been like probation anyway.

14 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

do you have a son named bobby and did you have a show once hank? lol   we get a lot of trolls hank and sometimes it takes a minute to warm up to you. i think the last year has been the worst. there are some really great folks on here.

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

So Chizik thinks 6 wins is solid too. 🤔

chiz is taking up for an old friend i imagine. but he did say he saw things from a differing point of view after being an analyst for so long. hell someone needs to tell saban.......lol

29 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

chiz is taking up for an old friend i imagine. but he did say he saw things from a differing point of view after being an analyst for so long. hell someone needs to tell saban.......lol

say something nice about me greatness i am kinda down today..............

Archived