Transfer Portal (2021)

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sarchasm (n): The distance between your joke and Ellitor  

Let's Not delve this thread into a Bo Nix discussion. Please & Thank you! Signed, The Entire AUFamily Staff

Samantha that twitched her nose was on Bewitched.  It was Jeanie on I dream of Jeanie and she blinked.  Also Samantha didn’t vaporize into a bottle, Jeannie did.  Just  keeping y’all informed of my 19

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's not good

I don't know, I think his situation this year at Mich was a bit off kilter, but I'd say he has several tools and things that can be used and fine-tuned by a good QB coach. Not that it matters given our roster situation.

28 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I don't know, I think his situation this year at Mich was a bit off kilter, but I'd say he has several tools and things that can be used and fine-tuned by a good QB coach. Not that it matters given our roster situation.

He wasn't good.  Michigan is a disaster, so IDK.  But at best he's a huge work in progress.  Not really sure that is something we care to have.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Rivals reporting that the Vandy RB is a heavy AU lean. I remember coaching staff saying he would get an evaluation. Did we ever hear anything more?

According to his thread, probably not a take:

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, W.E.D said:

at best he's a huge work in progress. 

Could argue our current roster at QB is in the same arena. But I see where E is coming from RE roster numbers

On 3/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Rivals reporting that the Vandy RB is a heavy AU lean. I remember coaching staff saying he would get an evaluation. Did we ever hear anything more?

@Tigerpro2a Keith has said a number of times AU was not pursuing. Also to clarify on your post for other readers, the Rivals you are talking about are their national guys & they don't know ish in terms of recruiting intel info. AU Rivals reporter JLee was not affiliated with this info in any way.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Any new news? Radio silence about the time I'd expect us to pull the trigger on grabbing another transfer. Or 2. 

Maybe we are saving those extra few slots for early signees next year? That wouldn't be a bad move.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Any new news? Radio silence about the time I'd expect us to pull the trigger on grabbing another transfer. Or 2. 

@aucanucktiger Spring practice is not over. After it is there will be another influx of transfers in the portal to choose from. That's when to expect more offers to go out for the last 3 spots in the class if we do choose to bring more transfers in.

• Like 1

I hear ya'll, but towards end of Spring drills players see writing on the wall and send out feelers. As much as pondering the probable O line puts me into a fetal position, experienced almost-every-down RB depth (from a top tier program) behind a likely-to-get-targeted Tank is crazy important for us in 2021 IMHO. 

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 7:43 AM, ellitor said:

@aucanucktiger Spring practice is not over. After it is there will be another influx of transfers in the portal to choose from. That's when to expect more offers to go out for the last 3 spots in the class if we do choose to bring more transfers in.

True or false: players that transfer after spring are likely doing so after seeing they aren't going to play at their current schools? There were a lot of high quality, proven starters that transferred in the last month or two. But why would that caliber player go through spring practice and THEN transfer? 

I feel like it's false hope to think we'll get any quality linemen now. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

True or false: players that transfer after spring are likely doing so after seeing they aren't going to play at their current schools? There were a lot of high quality, proven starters that transferred in the last month or two. But why would that caliber player go through spring practice and THEN transfer? 

There are some unique situations. I just saw where an OT with 3 years of eligibility hit the portal from Ohio State. (Max Wray)He was a very highly rated player out of high school, but the Buckeyes have NFL talent ahead of him, and at 6’7”, he’s not suited to play guard. So he’s good enough to start elsewhere but has no opportunity where he is. 

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-offensive-lineman-max-wray-enters-transfer-portal

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

True or false: players that transfer after spring are likely doing so after seeing they aren't going to play at their current schools?

True. Over the years AU's roster has always seen the most drop-outs after spring practice. That's because, as you state, they see they are down on the depth chart. The numbers may be greater following the spring practices, but the quality isn't normally what you'd like to bring in.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

There are some unique situations. I just saw where an OT with 3 years of eligibility hit the portal from Ohio State. (Max Wray)He was a very highly rated player out of high school, but the Buckeyes have NFL talent ahead of him, and at 6’7”, he’s not suited to play guard. So he’s good enough to start elsewhere but has no opportunity where he is. 

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-offensive-lineman-max-wray-enters-transfer-portal

If I'm not mistaken, Carlton Davis was basically processed out of his recruiting class at Ohio State. Corey Grant couldn't get on the field in Tuscaloosa. Small school transfers have been some of our most productive offensive linemen over the last few years. (Sadly, that says more about our recruiting than it does about small school transfers.) Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Like you said, just because the guy wasn't good enough to start at a perennial title contender, it doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that he's not good enough to play on Auburn's offensive line in the next year or two. Here's looking forward to not having these conversations for very much longer!

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, Carlton Davis was basically processed out of his recruiting class at Ohio State. Corey Grant couldn't get on the field in Tuscaloosa. Small school transfers have been some of our most productive offensive linemen over the last few years. (Sadly, that says more about our recruiting than it does about small school transfers.) Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Like you said, just because the guy wasn't good enough to start at a perennial title contender, it doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that he's not good enough to play on Auburn's offensive line in the next year or two. Here's looking forward to not having these conversations for very much longer!

Jamel Dean was at Ohio State. Injured his knee. I believe he failed there physical and then transferred to Auburn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Jamel Dean was at Ohio State. Injured his knee. I believe he failed there physical and then transferred to Auburn

Good call.

I just went and checked Davis's recruitment thread and there was some talk that he was just a victim of OSU's crowded CB class that year, but then there's more talk that OSU really wanted him and Champ and TRob just took him from Urban. Interesting thread to go back and look at for some of the Muschamp discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Just bc they are not starting doesn’t necessarily mean they will not wind up better than those in front of them ( UGA’s WB choice comes to mind right off).

On 4/12/2021 at 3:24 AM, AUght2win said:

The bulk of the transfers already happened.  There were at or past the avg number of transfer players we saw in the last two season.  Just like early signing, the vast majority sign in December not February.  There's no reason to wait, before graduating they've already declared where they'll transfer too.  Like the DE from Northwester.

There will be some guys added.  I'm not sure the quality will we the same as what we saw.  Anyone that is good & wanted to transfer has already made that decision.  The ones that will graduate & wanted a new school have made that decision.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Anyone that is good & wanted to transfer has already made that decision.

We can't hold our breath for "good", but we could hope for "better than we got" when it comes to, uh, certain position groups. Theoretically, I mean. Seems Harsin isn't looking for OL transfers. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

We can't hold our breath for "good", but we could hope for "better than we got" when it comes to, uh, certain position groups. Theoretically, I mean. Seems Harsin isn't looking for OL transfers. 

Yeah, I was implying anyone better than what we have. 

Doesn't seem like we've had much contact outside continuing recruiting the kid that went to Penn State. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure I'm glad to hear that.... was hoping he brought in at least one OL transfer if not two, at least for competition and depth.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, au302 said:

Not sure I'm glad to hear that.... was hoping he brought in at least one OL transfer if not two, at least for competition and depth.

I shouldn't say he isn't looking. It is probably more a case of him having looked and not seen any good options. I could be wrong about all of it, of course.

• Like 1