Jump to content
Null

Transfer Portal (2021)


Recommended Posts

On 4/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, McLoofus said:

Will be "fun" learning how to translate Harsinese. I'm guessing it's going to be different. Maybe it will be more like normal English. Maybe on the team means on the team and off the team means not on the team.

Hopefully a 'great week of practice' will actually mean something on Saturday.

Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sarchasm (n): The distance between your joke and Ellitor  

Let's Not delve this thread into a Bo Nix discussion. Please & Thank you! Signed, The Entire AUFamily Staff

Samantha that twitched her nose was on Bewitched.  It was Jeanie on I dream of Jeanie and she blinked.  Also Samantha didn’t vaporize into a bottle, Jeannie did.  Just  keeping y’all informed of my 19

Posted Images

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Curious why he's leaving already. 

 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Couldn't win a starting spot

And the coach that he signed to be coached by left

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Curious why he's leaving already. 

He's left a lot of places. From the article: "The Free Press learned offensive tackle Willie Allen entered the NCAA transfer portal Friday, which opens a new chapter in a peripatetic college career that began at LSU, relaunched at Tyler Junior College in Texas before continuing at Louisiana Tech."

Let's pass on this guy. As I understand it, the Play Immediately rule is a one-time thing. Unless that's changed, this guy will have to sit a year anyway. Then there's LSU to JUCO to La Tech to Michigan. Wherever he lands next will be his fifth school. Something's wrong.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's left a lot of places. From the article: "The Free Press learned offensive tackle Willie Allen entered the NCAA transfer portal Friday, which opens a new chapter in a peripatetic college career that began at LSU, relaunched at Tyler Junior College in Texas before continuing at Louisiana Tech."

Let's pass on this guy. As I understand it, the Play Immediately rule is a one-time thing. Unless that's changed, this guy will have to sit a year anyway. Then there's LSU to JUCO to La Tech to Michigan. Wherever he lands next will be his fifth school. Something's wrong.

It is not a one-time thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It is not a one-time thing

Perhaps not. The talk before it was passed was that this would be a one-time opportunity. A player could only transfer and not sit out once. I don't know what is in the final rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Perhaps not. The talk before it was passed was that this would be a one-time opportunity. A player could only transfer and not sit out once. I don't know what is in the final rule.

The rule will allow kids to transfer once before they graduate.  This kid is different bc he's already graduated and isn't going to have to sit out a year

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, W.E.D said:

The rule will allow kids to transfer once before they graduate.  This kid is different bc he's already graduated and isn't going to have to sit out a year

Ok then, I was not aware that he was a grad transfer. I still would not like to see AU be his fifth college. Should he show up here, hopefully he's gained some maturity in his travels, though leaving Michigan before playing a down there isn't encouraging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ok then, I was not aware that he was a grad transfer. I still would not like to see AU be his fifth college. Should he show up here, hopefully he's gained some maturity in his travels, though leaving Michigan before playing a down there isn't encouraging.

Guy has 1 year left to play.  I don't blame him.

Just like every kid, even the ones at Auburn, their goal is getting to the NFL.  That is this kids dream.  He's not going to be starting, the coach that recruited him is gone, I don't see the big deal with him trying to find a starting spot to show case for the NFL.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

, I don't see the big deal with him trying to find a starting spot to show case for the NFL.

The big deal, to me, is changing schools so many times. Never mind his NFL dreams, was there really something so wrong at four schools that he had to leave, or is he simply a quitter who bails out when every little thing doesn't go his way?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid's path makes perfect sense. He wasn't the only kid to leave LSU when Orgeron took over. He wanted to go to TCU but LSU blocked that, so he went to JUCO just like a lot of guys do. And, as with those guys, JUCO wasn't going to be the last stop. Trying to count that as some program he "left" is very disingenuous. So he went to La Tech, where he showed out for a year and then got a better offer again. Again, not confusing or concerning at all. Now, like @W.E.D said, he's got one year left to earn an NFL spot. It's not going to happen at Michigan so he needs to try to find a spot where it might. 

It's just a compressed version of many coaches' career trajectories- Arkansas State for only one year ring a bell?- and it really shouldn't confuse anyone. Unless, of course, they're just on their usual anti-player whining agenda. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Never mind his NFL dreams, was there really something so wrong at four schools that he had to leave, or is he simply a quitter who bails out when every little thing doesn't go his way?

Who cares about his dreams, let's make wild assumptions about his character. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The big deal, to me, is changing schools so many times. Never mind his NFL dreams, was there really something so wrong at four schools that he had to leave, or is he simply a quitter who bails out when every little thing doesn't go his way?

I really don't think it's a big deal. One was his original and a coaching change happened. Then JUCO and a small school. He graduated early and apparently did really well in school bc he got into Michigan. Coach left again and he didn't win a starting job. No reason to stay.

One was JUCO

Two was due to coaching change. 

One was to move up in division. 

Not really that big a deal

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cbo said:

Who cares about his dreams, let's make wild assumptions about his character. 

Kid was able to get I to Michigan, who doesn't make exceptions for football players. 

But he's a quitter and a bad kid bc

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What's the best predictor of future performance?🧐

 

Quote

Allen started 15 games at left tackle for Louisiana Tech in 2018 and 2019, earning all-Conference USA honorable mention.

I guess Michigan- like LSU, some JUCO, and La Tech- thought the past results predicted good things.

Or maybe Harbaugh was just as desperate as we are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

earning all-Conference USA honorable mention.

That's a pat on the back award. Like getting your participation ribbon in soccer. 

Hey, if he's better than what we have and not a character issue, maybe. Not sure I'd want to use a scholly on a one year guy, cause like I've said in other posts, we aren't going to the playoffs this coming year. Build for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

That's a pat on the back award. Like getting your participation ribbon in soccer. 

Except Michigan offered and signed him, just like LSU, the JUCO, and La Tech did. I wasn't trying to make him sound like a first rounder as much as you seemed to be making him sound like hot garbage.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hey, if he's better than what we have and not a character issue

That's all anyone's suggesting. I don't see anyone even advocating particularly hard for us to sign him at all. Only pointing out that there's nothing about his resume that suggests he couldn't come in and compete for a job on this Auburn roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2021/04/26/clemson-football-running-back-chez-mellusi-enters-transfer-portal/738462300

This is basically what we're going to be facing with the Spring Portal.  Probably a decent player, but is buried on the DC on an elite team.  He's got 3 years left, so he could possibly be a solid piece at RB if we want to take one.

Michigan OT and Ohio State also had an OL leave b/c he got pushed down the DC.  These teams are probably more talented than us, so their leftovers are possibly better than our starters so maybe one pops for us.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

These teams are probably more talented than us, so their leftovers are possibly better than our starters so maybe one pops for us.

I'd say sticky this quote if I thought it would actually do any good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...