Null

Transfer Portal (2021)

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So it's been about20 years since we had a walk on that was pretty good

Actually 10 years. Hood played for the Eagles in 2011. 

There may be others who made rosters and maybe a cup of coffee in the bigs, since then, but I don't recall them...

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sarchasm (n): The distance between your joke and Ellitor  

Let's Not delve this thread into a Bo Nix discussion. Please & Thank you! Signed, The Entire AUFamily Staff

Samantha that twitched her nose was on Bewitched.  It was Jeanie on I dream of Jeanie and she blinked.  Also Samantha didn’t vaporize into a bottle, Jeannie did.  Just  keeping y’all informed of my 19

Posted Images

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So it's been about20 years since we had a walk on that was pretty good

Will Hastings was pretty good. Especially before his injury. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Actually 10 years. Hood played for the Eagles in 2011. 

There may be others who made rosters and maybe a cup of coffee in the bigs, since then, but I don't recall them...

I'm talking about at Auburn 

He was here like 99-03

I think under this staff they will find the type of kids that can work hard and make an impact as a walk on. The WR who is 6'3 or 6'4 but not quite fast enough to be an SEC WR. Who works hard adds muscle mass and becomes a LB or DE. The 6'6' or 6'7" O-linemen who is only around 240 but has the frame to grow into an SEC linemen. The to small but super quick DB with a high football IQ. Auburn used to be a team that found walk on players who became starters.  I think the staff has something to do with that. A staff that finds the right type of young man that encourages the player and provides the training to allow the player to do it if he has the right work ethic. That doesn't mean that every player allowed to walk on who has a strong work ethic will get a chance to play but it means that we will start seeing an impact player every now and then.   

• Like 1
15 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think under this staff they will find the type of kids that can work hard and make an impact as a walk on. The WR who is 6'3 or 6'4 but not quite fast enough to be an SEC WR. Who works hard adds muscle mass and becomes a LB or DE. The 6'6' or 6'7" O-linemen who is only around 240 but has the frame to grow into an SEC linemen. The to small but super quick DB with a high football IQ. Auburn used to be a team that found walk on players who became starters.  I think the staff has something to do with that. A staff that finds the right type of young man that encourages the player and provides the training to allow the player to do it if he has the right work ethic. That doesn't mean that every player allowed to walk on who has a strong work ethic will get a chance to play but it means that we will start seeing an impact player every now and then.   

Here's a quote/paraphrase from Coach Shug Jordan, decades ago: " If I could look into their hearts I could let Auburn get their 30, Alabama get their 30, take the leftovers and whip them both". Sadly, Shug couldn't see into their hearts and this new staff cannot do that either. Your theory is correct, but implementing it to the point of success on the field is near to impossible.

• Like 2

Maybe this has already been answered, but why is it that we can only take 3 but I keep reading about other schools getting this transfer and that transfer when I am fairly sure they signed a full class, seeing as they always have a top class???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VicTree said:

Maybe this has already been answered, but why is it that we can only take 3 but I keep reading about other schools getting this transfer and that transfer when I am fairly sure they signed a full class, seeing as they always have a top class???

They might have leftover spots from a prior year 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems to be a lot of smoke that Justyn Ross is going to enter the portal 

@japantiger, no idea about Ross, but it seems the staff at least somewhat agrees with you about receivers and is looking for another guy who can do Seth Williams things.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I saw something on twitter yesterday saying basically the same thing and now Jboy is hinting that a major WR is about to hit the Portal.  Sure would be a nice pick up if Auburn could swing it.

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I saw something on twitter yesterday saying basically the same thing and now Jboy is hinting that a major WR is about to hit the Portal.  Sure would be a nice pick up if Auburn could swing it.

They mentioned UA as a possible landing spot on JOX this am, if he leaves that is.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Rumor is he was not cleared by Clemson doctors, but can't find confirmation.

If he is able to play, it's a no brainer he picks Alabama IMO. To go from a top program that he was thrown to a lot to another program like Alabama, who highlights their WRs and just put 2 in the 1st round of NFL would be easy decision for me to make as a WR.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@japantiger, no idea about Ross, but it seems the staff at least somewhat agrees with you about receivers and is looking for another guy who can do Seth Williams things.

If there is a top receiver in the portal, we will probably be fighting Texas A&M.  Their deep threat and receiving corp is their biggest offensive question mark currently.  A lot of young, untested, talent and their only deep threat is trying to recover from knee surgery (his 2nd).   Dameyene Craig is taking some heat.  

• Like 2

Couple message boards are buzzing that our staff is trying to get Jalen Tolbert to transfer from S. Alabama.  He was a 1k yard WR for them.  Contemplated going to the NFL and probably would've been drafted.  Would be a huge get for our inexperienced WR room.

Not sure if it is true, all the articles I read were about him being from Mobile, going back and playing for his last year in a home town, etc.  

But, we're got rumors.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, W.E.D said:

This is the guy we need.

He got passed by better talent.  He started a few games and a lot of ND ppl are high on the kid, just better players

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Couple message boards are buzzing that our staff is trying to get Jalen Tolbert to transfer from S. Alabama.  He was a 1k yard WR for them.  Contemplated going to the NFL and probably would've been drafted.  Would be a huge get for our inexperienced WR room.

Not sure if it is true, all the articles I read were about him being from Mobile, going back and playing for his last year in a home town, etc.  

But, we're got rumors.

how about a WR from Boise?

Is that not possible?

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which one?

Oh, I don't see a portal or haven't looked.  I have a window outside my kitchen sink...do knuckleheads like me have access to see who is in the portal?

I am just saying, why not get a WR from Boise since CBH is from there?  Along with an OT from Boise, now that I am thinking about it.

Just now, Beaker said:

I am just saying, why not get a WR from Boise since CBH is from there?  Along with an OT from Boise, now that I am thinking about it.

Gotcha. That's why I asked which one. The most simple answers in my mind are 1) there might not be one available and 2) there might not be one available worth taking. A third, less objective possibility is that Boise is over 2,000 miles from Auburn and it might be tough to convince a kid who's worth recruiting here to make the move. Boise is visible enough that a kid will get drafted from there if he's good. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Oh, I don't see a portal or haven't looked.  I have a window outside my kitchen sink...do knuckleheads like me have access to see who is in the portal?

Boise is a weird inclusive place.  I'm guessing Harsin isn't going to steal from his prior school.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Which one?

Khalil Shakir

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. That's why I asked which one. The most simple answers in my mind are 1) there might not be one available and 2) there might not be one available worth taking. A third, less objective possibility is that Boise is over 2,000 miles from Auburn and it might be tough to convince a kid who's worth recruiting here to make the move. Boise is visible enough that a kid will get drafted from there if he's good. 

I think there's actually optics both ways:

1) Harsin not wanting to poach players from his alma-mater and "hurt" them when the transfer portal means that players are available from elsewhere.

2) Harsin not wanting to come into Auburn where he's already "unknown" to the general fanbase and then immediately going and bringing in his old players. It puts a bad taste in fans' mouths ("turning Auburn into Boise"), and you saw that when we were hiring coaches and there was a constant nitpicking on how many Boise coaches he was bringing.

I'm sure that there were at least a couple worthy players from Boise he could have taken with him - the starting QB most notably (he was a 4-star recruit, their highest rated signee ever at the position I believe). 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Khalil Shakir is a good WR.  He's better than anyone we have on our roster at the moment.  He's good and he has experience.

But, I don't think he has any plans to transfer.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, metafour said:

Harsin not wanting to poach players from his alma-mater and "hurt" them when the transfer portal means that players are available from elsewhere.

I had considered that, also.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

I'm sure that there were at least a couple worthy players from Boise he could have taken with him - the starting QB most notably (he was a 4-star recruit, their highest rated signee ever at the position I believe). 

Worthy players, sure. But is that kid going to want to come compete with Nix, Davis and Geriner when he knows he can get drafted just fine from where he is?