question for cole and some of you experts

aubiefifty

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

The compensation stuff is bull IMO. They were here having to beg for shoes and stuff, let's not pretend they live some super lifestyle better than most students.......

For football & basketball they get full cost of attendance now. That wasn't the case until a few years ago. Other sports still don't get full cost allotted though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

60-65 is all that is needed.  The game will phase out KO eventually.  For punting you don't need 11 different players.  Most kickoff guys are backups anyway.  If the NFL can play with 55, allowing 10 more on college rosters will suffice for backups and practice squad.  

Sort of agree with this. I’d leave the sport as is, but reducing scholarships might help in some ways. It could possibly help with over signing. We’ll never know though until it actually happens. 

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Sort of agree with this. I’d leave the sport as is, but reducing scholarships might help in some ways. It could possibly help with over signing. We’ll never know though until it actually happens. 

Over signing went the way of the do-do bird several years ago. It's no longer a thing. Over signing was stopped by the "Nutt Rule", honoring Houston Nutt after he signed some 39 players in one recruiting cycle.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Win, recruit well, develop.  Invest in facilities, programs, etc.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Dominate recruitment and development of the trenches.  Your college football program is essentially a NFL major for every recruited player.  And just like every other major at Universities, there is only so much room and some have better professors and research centers.   The system isn’t broken, but the teams on top have built a reputation and it takes work to move up.   

I agree phan. 

Some programs work hard, choose to spend money and choose to provide better facilities than others.  Some programs pinch pennies, choose to cut budgets and put off facility improvements for over a decade or more until they are grossly behind their rivals. 

The teams on top have built what they have, why should they be penalized for hard work, having a lucrative and willing Administration that chooses to spend money on their programs and strive for elite status?

On 2/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, CodeRocket said:

Definitely do not favor a reduction in the number of scholarships or the total number on scholarship. Any reduction will exacerbate the problem of players getting "processed" out of the system and off of the roster to make room for new recruits. Think Nick Saban at Alabama. I think a better solution would be a cap on the total points allowed for each school for a recruiting class. I have listed the final points for the top four classes in the 2021 cycle as listed by Rivals below:

1) Alabama       - 3555 points

2) Ohio State   - 2988 points

3) Texas A&M  - 2736 points

4) Oregon        - 2726 points

Seems like a point maximum of around (2900) would be a good place to start. This would produce a more equal distibution of talent and not reduce the number of scholarships (think opportunities) available to young people coming out of high school. Twenty nine hundred might not be the right number but there is an optimal number. 

Who decides the points for players?  So, when Bammer gets close, "they" reassign points to the next player to lower points.  When AU gets some stud, "they" reassign him to a higher points place and suddenly he's not eligible here, sorry.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:11 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I think there is only one way to fix College Football and keep it from falling further and further into the depths of irrelevance and regional.

I do not think the reduction of Scholarships will do anything. I am in the belief that it will lead to more players being processed and blue shirted by the Bamas of the world. Another problem I have with Scholarship reduction, is it will have a major impact on the lower level recruits losing scholarship opportunities. Many of these kids take that opportunity with the knowledge that they will probably never make it to the NFL, but they can change their life and earn a free degree from a good school. Many of these kids would never be able to pay for school on their own or even their families. So I disagree with cutting scholarships.

They could definitely try to limit funds spent in recruiting, but at this point I believe it is a little late for that.

The only way to add parity is to expand the playoff and take the words "eye-test", "Human element", and "best teams" out of the criteria. That is what has ruined it for me. We had more parity in the BCS system by far than we have with 4 teams in the playoffs. You have to do it with Conference Champions. Trips to the playoffs have to be earned when it counts. Bama would have 2 less championships. I personally believe a 6 team playoff would be good. Power 5 Conference Champs and if there is an unbeaten G5 school then they get it, otherwise the highest ranked school outside the 5 power5 champs. Seed them based on BCS and seeds 1 and 2 get a bye. The other option is 8 which I am not against either. Do it the same way with no bye weeks for any team. The one reason I like 6 over 8, is because with a 6 team format we are less likely to wind up with Alabama, Clemson, Oh St, Etc. sneaking in again like Bama did in 2017. 

I know there are problems with all of this, but I don't think there is a perfect solution.

If you didn't win your conference you should not get a shot at the Natty. 

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

The compensation stuff is bull IMO. They were here having to beg for shoes and stuff, let's not pretend they live some super lifestyle better than most students.......

I never bought a pair of shoes while working 35 hours a week and taking a full class load, too busy paying rent and bills fwiw.  Please tell me how players are not compensated to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars over their AU career.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

To be brutally honest that is arbitrary & dumb. The results of a recruiting class should not be decided by a bunch of coach potatoes, many of whom never played, And can't evaluate talents nowhere near good as coaches can.

easy tiger. i thought it was a good idea as well. lol

20 hours ago, WarTim said:

bear just thought he knew how to cheat.......

you know bear put ten grand in a tube like wrapping paper comes on and stuffed it in a bale of hay and dumped it on i thinkjohn david crowes families farm? it has been a long time so i might have the name wrong but bear admitted it in a book.

23 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Get some thicker skin, Francis, it’s a joke.

ok nancy but use a hard right example next and then it might be funny.

14 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I never bought a pair of shoes while working 35 hours a week and taking a full class load, too busy paying rent and bills fwiw.  Please tell me how players are not compensated to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars over their AU career.

Aren't you glad you were allowed to have a job and to be paid for those 35 hours you worked. 

Just now, ellitor said:

I saw.

i saw you saw. i bet i am better looking tho.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aren't you glad you were allowed to have a job and to be paid for those 35 hours you worked. 

I'd gladly have traded that for >$100k in compensation.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Isn't it funny how these coaches get paid millions of dollars a year to line up and literally beg these kids to come play at their school, but it's the players that should be grateful for that scholarship that 30 other schools wish they could have given them...

Our last coach just made tons of money to walk away above average with a laissez faire attitude and people will defend him to this day . Let a kid sit out a bowl game, declare for the draft or hit the transfer portal by betting on themselves with no house money.. the responses are so funny. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cool. 

Coming out of school with no debt would have been pretty cool as well.  I could've invested the $50k + interest I paid off in my 20s and I'd be much further ahead today.

11 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Coming out of school with no debt would have been pretty cool as well.  I could've invested the $50k + interest I paid off in my 20s and I'd be much further ahead today.

Good that you even had the opportunity to even do that. Do you know get that most of these kids probably wouldn’t have had any opportunity to even get to a place like Auburn without their athletic ability . We are talking about kids who are far below the poverty line. Who have limited technology. Who have limited resources and who probably wouldn’t even know the least bit about fafsa. Playing this sport is their escape man. Have some empathy at least 

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Same here. Alas, neither of us were blessed with gifts off of which the university could profit far beyond the amount of the scholarship we received in exchange for our labor. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Good that you even had the opportunity to even do that. Do you know get that most of these kids probably wouldn’t have had any opportunity to even get to a place like Auburn without their athletic ability . We are talking about kids who are far below the poverty line. Who have limited technology. Who have limited resources and who probably wouldn’t even know the least bit about fafsa. Playing this sport is their escape man. Have some empathy at least 

How am I not empathetic?  I'm happy for the kids and think most of them earn the compensation they are afforded.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Same here. Alas, neither of us were blessed with gifts off of which the university could profit far beyond the amount of the scholarship we received in exchange for our labor. 

You're of the belief that their scholarship is the only compensation they receive?  I can see why you are missing my point if so.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You're of the belief that their scholarship is the only compensation they receive?  I can see why you are missing my point if so.

No, I'm not. And I'm well acquainted with your point. No need to quibble over a meal plan or some Under Armor gear or use of facilities. Power programs definitely put a lot of money and time into protecting their investments. We all know that. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

College football is nowhere near irrelevant. It's the 2nd most popular sports in the States behind the NFL.

I am aware, but popularity is decreasing is the point I am making. Maybe irrelevant was an improper term....less relevant to different regions. 

Archived