question for cole and some of you experts

aubiefifty

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m hearing a bunch of excuses and reasons for giving football players money.   Excuses like blood and sweat for the university, and university/coaches making all the money off of the players.   

Not so sure that anyone cares about the other sports at the university that aren’t allowed to give out enough scholarships to even field a team.  Where is the uproar for them?  The majority of student athletes at Auburn have to pay out of pocket as well as  “blood and sweat” for the school.  

29 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How am I not empathetic?  I'm happy for the kids and think most of them earn the compensation they are afforded.

Why do you get to determine their compensation?

Colleges are making millions & each SEC is about to get an additional $20 million a year in TV money.  The players will get nothing additional.  Coaching salaries have easily tripled over the last decade.  Player get nothing more.

It weird that everyone can profit from a for profit sport except the athletes that gain zero financial worth from doing it.

Weird NFL players get the exact luxury but make a minimum 400,000 a year.  I guess they should take a pay cut b/c their teams have coaches and weight rooms

28 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How am I not empathetic?  I'm happy for the kids and think most of them earn the compensation they are afforded.

And I highly disagree based on the big money that universities , companies and tv markets make off these young men. Nobody would know Auburn at all, if you got rid of the football team. That’s a harsh reality , but reality it is. Why I appreciate the hard work you did to get through school , your pathway through the university does not move the school like a football player. IMO, scholarships are the bare minimum they should be receiving , especially after seeing how much they prioritized this during a pandemic .

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good that you even had the opportunity to even do that. Do you know get that most of these kids probably wouldn’t have had any opportunity to even get to a place like Auburn without their athletic ability . We are talking about kids who are far below the poverty line. Who have limited technology. Who have limited resources and who probably wouldn’t even know the least bit about fafsa. Playing this sport is their escape man. Have some empathy at least 

I agree, and to think that some people in this thread want to cut scholarships is insensitive.   

Reduce the number of underprivileged/poverty line kids who's only chance at a college education is the sport they excel in?  All because some programs have positioned themselves to a point where they can recruit the highest ranked student-athletes in the nation and other programs flounder around pissing away opportunity after opportunity to build up to the level of those programs.  So take the easy road and hope for rule changing parity rather than work hard everyday to get better?

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I never bought a pair of shoes while working 35 hours a week and taking a full class load, too busy paying rent and bills fwiw.  Please tell me how players are not compensated to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars over their AU career.

You also never woke at 430 lifted weights, practiced did meetings practiced again while taking a full load, while limping all over campus.....while people that don't know you are jealous of you. 

There are plenty of students that get academic scholarships. There are some that get them because their parents got them. Hate those guys. 

They aren't actually paid. And they aren't allowed to work, just like McDonald's can't pay people with hamburgers saying they were paid by attending the school that you begged them to attend to play for you and if they are good enough make your school millions....It's a b.s. System. Nobody cares that guys that suck at athletics are jealous that they can't do it. 

59 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Coming out of school with no debt would have been pretty cool as well.  I could've invested the $50k + interest I paid off in my 20s and I'd be much further ahead today.

But you wouldn't be able to work so you wouldn't have the money to invest. And it seems like you are the person that's not aware of how things really go

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You also never woke at 430 lifted weights, practiced did meetings practiced again while taking a full load, while limping all over campus.....while people that don't know you are jealous of you. 

There are plenty of students that get academic scholarships. There are some that get them because their parents got them. Hate those guys. 

They aren't actually paid. And they aren't allowed to work, just like McDonald's can't pay people with hamburgers saying they were paid by attending the school that you begged them to attend to play for you and if they are good enough make your school millions....It's a b.s. System. Nobody cares that guys that suck at athletics are jealous that they can't do it. 

It's absolutely hilarious trying to equate a 35 hr work week to what football players put in

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Our last coach just made tons of money to walk away above average with a laissez faire attitude and people will defend him to this day . Let a kid sit out a bowl game, declare for the draft or hit the transfer portal by betting on themselves with no house money.. the responses are so funny. 

It's don't talk and Gus, he loved Auburn...he wasn't even trying to recruit anymore.....then on top of that guys that played at a high level AND coached here are traitors and all that bs.....people are really idiots

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's absolutely hilarious trying to equate a 35 hr work week to what football players put in

😂 not even a full 40. And what kind of work? At a restaurant or something maybe? How much time you think the guy that's torn his acl 2-3 times has put in doing rehab? On top of the pain and suffering getting to and fro to class? Idk what's wrong with people.....it's cool until someone they love have to go through it. 

Just now, cole256 said:

😂 not even a full 40. And what kind of work? At a restaurant or something maybe? How much time you think the guy that's torn his acl 2-3 times has put in doing rehab? On top of the pain and suffering getting to and fro to class? Idk what's wrong with people.....it's cool until someone they love have to go through it. 

They're jealous.

Just now, W.E.D said:

They're jealous.

Exactly and want to make an athlete to be less of a person or something. It's a reason you can't run 4.4 it's hard damn work. It's hard damn work to be the best of the best.

But people want to make them lesser. While they are busting ass for your school.....crazy

42 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m hearing a bunch of excuses and reasons for giving football players money.   Excuses like blood and sweat for the university, and university/coaches making all the money off of the players.   

Not so sure that anyone cares about the other sports at the university that aren’t allowed to give out enough scholarships to even field a team.  Where is the uproar for them?  The majority of student athletes at Auburn have to pay out of pocket as well as  “blood and sweat” for the school.  

Well most people said athletes.....

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Exactly and want to make an athlete to be less of a person or something. It's a reason you can't run 4.4 it's hard damn work. It's hard damn work to be the best of the best.

But people want to make them lesser. While they are busting ass for your school.....crazy

But I was a s***ty athlete and no one wanted me so they can't have anything either

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So why do these athletes do it?  Pressure from family/community?

Lots of reason. To feed their family , to make it out of terrible situations , to actually see a different state for the first time, to get an education and yes pressure probably comes from that. A lot of these kids begin pop Warner understanding they need a full ride just to have a chance in the real world. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

ok nancy but use a hard right example next and then it might be funny.

Not really here to appease you, fitty, move along.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lots of reason. To feed their family , to make it out of terrible situations , to actually see a different state for the first time, to get an education and yes pressure probably comes from that. A lot of these kids begin poo Warner understanding they need a full ride just to have a chance in the real world. 

Sometimes I wonder whether this is a fallacy that ends up hurting more kids than not. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Sometimes I wonder whether this is a fallacy that ends up hurting more kids than not. 

There real truth is it is seen as such early On . It Might seem very detrimental but it is the hard truth , especially when you come from Nothing. A lot of times you will hear kids from the inner city say you either become a product of the community, a rapper Or an athlete 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

There real truth is it is seen as such early On . It Might seem very detrimental but it is the hard truth , especially when you come from Nothing. A lot of times you will hear kids from the inner city say you either become a product of the community, a rapper Or an athlete 

It is unfortunate that it is seen that way - and I understand the reality that it is. Realistically, most of these kids have a better chance of starting a successful business than they do making it to the league. For those that are fortunate enough to earn college scholarships, its the education that is the ticket, since the vast majority will never earn a dime as a professional. I knew some guys growing up that were treated like rock stars in the community once they were identified as prospects in middle/high school. A lot of praise, and a lot of passes because of their status. Get to college, realize they aren't as great as everyone said they were, act out, lose the scholly, etc.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Correct, I did not have that opportunity nor was my compensation as great as theirs.

48 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Correct, I did not have that opportunity nor was my compensation as great as theirs.

You also did nothing for the school. You didn't make them any profit. You comparing yourself to an athlete is like me complaining and the CEO of Amazon's money. I never worked there

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Yep....too bad they got it  wrong and didn’t say non-athletes. 

Then they would be talking about regular students. You asked about the athletes that had to pay their way so they would be covered by saying athletes. 

Or maybe you're just arguing something different

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Agreed. And to go a step further, the amount of work the football players put in is irrelevant to the topic. The simple fact is the football players have an inherent value. They possess a specific ability that generates tons of money for tons of people.

An extremely valuable commodity does not exist without them. So they should be compensated for it. It's not that hard to comprehend. 

Archived