Auburn Gymnastics 🥇🥈🥉

AUBwins

Not sure about the logistics but great publicity for Suni&Auburn +

In 2019, Variety reported that DWTS contestants receive $125,000 for the pre-show rehearsal period, as well as for the first two weeks of competition. Stars earn additional pay bumps the longer they remain in the hunt, with sources telling the publication that the most a contestant can earn is $295,000.

• Like 1

Wow! What an incredible opportunity and great first job after being famous.  Lol

• Like 1

Looks like she is moving to Los Angeles for two months - she will be back for the Iron Bowl and Gymnastics season…

- - -

Suni Lee checked the calendar to make sure Dancing With The Stars wouldn’t make her miss the Iron Bowl.

The show runs to late November, but she didn’t want to miss her first rivalry game as an Auburn student — no matter what.

“The last show is on the 22nd. I had to make sure,” Lee laughed on Friday. “I was like, ‘Phew.’”

Full story:
https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/i-m-here-suni-lee-explains-how-she-ll-balance-online-auburn-classes-with-dancing/article_d7d15dd8-077b-11ec-889a-0fd9429435cd.html

Edited by AUreo

Just imagine, Suni, Tim Cook, Bo, Barkley, Rowdy, etc attending the Iron Bowl. More celebs than at a Lakers game… 

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, AUreo said:

Looks like she is moving to Los Angeles for two months - she will be back for the Iron Bowl and Gymnastics season…

- - -

Suni Lee checked the calendar to make sure Dancing With The Stars wouldn’t make her miss the Iron Bowl.

The show runs to late November, but she didn’t want to miss her first rivalry game as an Auburn student — no matter what.

“The last show is on the 22nd. I had to make sure,” Lee laughed on Friday. “I was like, ‘Phew.’”

Full story:
https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/i-m-here-suni-lee-explains-how-she-ll-balance-online-auburn-classes-with-dancing/article_d7d15dd8-077b-11ec-889a-0fd9429435cd.html

Really glad she can do classes online now to keep up. Not getting much of that “college experience” lol. Can’t pass up these opportunities right not. This may be the hottest she’ll be as far as special opportunities, unless she cleans up in 2024 

Tons of options with the entertainment industry in L.A. 
Let’s hope Suni will be quite busy and won’t be able to spend too much time with Jordan Chiles @UCLA. This would make me nervous.

EDIT

Jordan won’t be around since she is joining the Simone Biles tour (so now worries here)

Edited by AUreo

On 8/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, AUreo said:

Love the background!

Love that the AU being repped in background. 

• Like 1

oanow.com
Meeting Suni Lee: Auburn’s Olympic gold medalist finds peace and balance on the Plains

Suni Lee pulled at the door, but couldn’t get it open. She gave the handle another yank. Locked. The Olympic gold medalist was stuck outside — until someone came to pop ...

fully story: https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/meeting-suni-lee-auburn-s-olympic-gold-medalist-finds-peace-and-balance-on-the-plains/article_e270b91c-0a89-11ec-9712-cf3c1465753d.html

• Auburn practice
  • Olympics 2024
  • Dancing with the Stars and L.A. move

- - - - - 

Most Anticipated Elite Freshmen in the All Around

https://collegegymnews.com/2021/08/31/most-anticipated-elite-freshmen-in-the-all-around-2/

Some big names listed here: Suni, of course but also Leanne Wong (Florida), Jade Carey (Oregon State), Kara Eaker (Utah), Morgan Hurd (Florida), Emma Malabuyo (UCLA), Jordan Chiles (UCLA), Grace McCallum (Utah), Aleah Finnegan (LSU), Riley McCusker (Florida), Amelie Morgan (Utah). That's 9 Team USA gymnasts, 1 Team GB gymnast, 2 Olympic gold medalists, several Olympic silver and bronze medalists, 5 Olympians, World Champions...probably the most talented and decorated incoming freshmen group in NCAA sports history.

- - - - - 

After Almost Quitting Gymnastics, Konnor McClain Commits to LSU and 2024 Olympics

https://collegegymnews.com/2021/08/31/after-almost-quitting-gymnastics-konnor-mcclain-commits-to-lsu-and-2024-olympics/

Not directly Auburn related but there is still some hope that Graba & Suni might be able to flip her.

Edited by AUreo

2021 Lineup Predictions: SEC Part I

Link (Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida):

https://offbalancegym.wordpress.com/2021/08/28/2021-lineup-predictions-sec-part-1/

Auburn

The big news for Auburn this year is Sunisa Lee. She’s likely to be a huge contributor for the team this season! Auburn is only graduating one routine on beam, which Lee can surely replace. If Drew Watson, Aria Brusch, and Cassie Stevens are healthy this year, it should be a strong season for Auburn. They don’t have as much to work with as some previously mentioned teams, but they have the foundation for a breakout season.

Vault

Predicted Lineup Options: Drew Watson (NQS: 9.894), Derrian Gobourne (9.894), Sara Hubbard, Cassie Stevens (9.75), Adeline Sabados (9.819), Piper Smith (9.788), Sunisa Lee

Alternates: Olivia Hollingsworth (9.781), Payton Smith (9.769), Jada Glenn (2020 NQS: 9.745), Sophia Groth

Auburn has the potential to have very competitive difficulty on this event, with at least 4 10.0 start value vaults likely to make the lineup. I’m not sure if we will see Lee here, and if we do, I don’t know what vault she will compete, but she’s definitely in the conversation. However, the star freshman on vault should be Hubbard. She scored a perfect 10 for her Yurchenko 1.5 multiple times as a level 10. Stevens scored considerably lower last season than in 2020 and stuck with a full, so she will want to get back to 2020 level to keep her spot secure. With the top athletes all healthy, this really should be an improved event for Auburn this season.

Bars

Predicted Lineup Options: Sunisa Lee, Derrian Gobourne (9.913), Piper Smith (9.881), Aria Brusch (9.875), Adeline Sabados (9.831), Cassie Stevens (9.825), Anna Sumner (9.813), Sophia Groth

Alternates: Drew Watson (2020 NQS: 9.810), Gabby McLaughlin, Olivia Hollingsworth (Avg: 9.65)

Lee, Gobourne, Smith, and Brusch are locks in my opinion, and the remaining spots are mostly between Sabados, Stevens, Sumner, and Groth. They tend to be a bit more 9.7y than Auburn would like, but they are consistent and reliable options. Drew Watson can be quite good on this event but wasn’t in the lineup last season, so watch to see if she makes an appearance. We’re likely to see a lot of shuffling in this lineup throughout the season. I’m also very intrigued to see which skills Lee decides to include in her college routine.

Beam

Predicted Lineup Options: Sunisa Lee, Cassie Stevens (9.846), Gabby McLaughlin (9.819), Aria Brusch (2020 NQS: 9.810), Morgan Leigh Oldham (9.794), Olivia Hollingsworth (9.765), Drew Watson (9.753)

Alternates: Derrian Gobourne (9.719), Sara Hubbard, Piper Smith (9.575), Sophia Groth, Allie Riddle (2019 NQS: 9.810)

Beam is definitely not Auburn’s best event, but Lee should help revitalize the lineup, and McLaughlin is one of my favorites to watch here. Due to injury, Brusch didn’t have a great season on beam in 2021, but I would keep her near the top of the list. Hubbard has a risky LOSO mount, so if she manages to crack the lineup, keep an eye out for that. Allie Riddle hasn’t competed since 2019, but she is really fun to watch on beam, so I’m listing her here for feelings reasons, but she’s not a likely contributor. 

Floor

Predicted Lineup Options: Derrian Gobourne (9.956), Cassie Stevens (9.881), Drew Watson (9.869), Aria Brusch (2020 NQS: 9.84), Sunisa Lee, Sophia Groth, Sara Hubbard

Alternates: Adeline Sabados (9.806), Olivia Hollingsworth (9.788), Morgan Leigh Oldham (9.769), Gabby McLaughlin (Avg: 9.733), Ananda Brown

Gobourne should continue to be the undisputed star of this lineup. I can’t wait to see what kind of routine she comes up with for this season. We didn’t get to see a ton of Brusch on floor last season, but if she’s healthy, I expect her to contribute. Ideally, we will see Lee here as well, at least for postseason, but I’m not sure how her busy fall schedule and injury recovery will affect her readiness on floor. Groth and Hubbard are also good freshman options, and I think this is where Brown is most likely to contribute, but I haven’t seen any recent scores or videos from her. I think Hollingsworth is also an intriguing option. She struggled a bit with landing control last year, but I think she has a lot of potential on this event, so I predict that she will see some time in the lineup at some point this season.

That Florida Gators team is basically an NCAA All-Star team, insane recruiting. Add Alabama and LSU to the mix and then Auburn and Arkansas. This is going to be an amazing season.

This is a great schedule, esp. Auburn at Michigan

2022 Gymnastics Schedule

Auburn closes out the regular season with a contest at defending national champion Michigan on March 11 in Ann Arbor.

Tickets for single meets go on sale December 1.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/womens-gymnastics/schedule 

at UNC

at Arkansas

vs Iowa State

vs Alabama

at LSU

vs Missouri

at Georgia

vs Kentucky

vs Florida

@ Elevate the Stage in Huntsville, AL (Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama)

at Michigan

2022 SEC Championship in Birmingham, AL

2022 NCAA Regional Championship in Auburn, AL

2022 NCAA Championship in Fort Worth, TX

Edited by AUreo

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Has the elevate the stage always been 4 teams? 

Good catch

“Auburn will also be participating in an expanded Elevate the Stage quad meet on March 6 in Huntsville, featuring national contenders Alabama and Georgia plus an Arkansas team coached by another Olympic gold medalist in Jordyn Wieber”

Good read and some great information!

Excerpt:

MM: Jeff, what does having an All-Around Olympic gold medalist coming to Auburn mean for your program?

Jeff Graba: I think it's funny because I don't think anybody was prepared for what it would actually do. I mean, I think we sold our season tickets out in four days. We have more season tickets sold for us than men's basketball has. I feel like none of us were prepared for that end of the chaos that ensues. Our girls have said this before, Suni's just as talented as she was before. They all knew. When you have somebody of that talent level and that determination and that focus level coming in, it ramps up everybody around you. Everybody tries to get a little bit better. Everybody works a little bit harder. We've already seen that in the gym. A lot more focus on the people who are potentially losing a lineup spot or who think that they want to compete in the fifth spot or the fourth spot to be able to match up with somebody of this stature. It's been phenomenal for me, but it's the first time it's ever happened in NCAA gymnastics. It's almost like when people ask me what it's like to be a twin? I'm not sure I can answer that.

• Like 1

Some more info on Clemson's new Gymnastics program which will probably hurt Auburn and SEC recruiting in the future.

Fortunately, Suni and Olivia Greaves are both game changer for Auburn and it should take years for Clemson to close the gap...

I am pretty sure Auburn will add Clemson to the schedule in the coming years.

Clemson Goes “All In” on ACC Gymnastics

https://collegegymnews.com/2021/09/10/clemson-goes-all-in-on-acc-gymnastics/

"He also agrees with Snider’s assessment that Clemson gymnastics will be “highly competitive very quickly,” emphasizing that the athletic department is going “All In” on ensuring the program’s success. While Kallin notes any constructions or renovations are still very much in the preparation and evaluation stage, he underscores that fans and prospective athletes “can certainly expect a first-class facility and student-athlete experience, just like football and basketball.” 

Edited by AUreo

The 2nd video is interesting.  Talks about learning emotion and to have fun.  This will be excellent experience for college gym. Looks like she got braces too.  Good time to do it before she truly relishes in those endorsement opportunities.  Excited for her to get this chance to learn. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

The 2nd video is interesting.  Talks about learning emotion and to have fun.  This will be excellent experience for college gym. Looks like she got braces too.  Good time to do it before she truly relishes in those endorsement opportunities.  Excited for her to get this chance to learn. 

Good points. This should ease the transition from elite to college gymnastics. Most top elite gymnasts initially struggle with having fun and being joyful in college gymnastic. The dance experience should also help her since competing on floor in college consists of more "dance elements" rather than elite gymnastics which is more artistry. The whole experience should help her to "loosen up".

So do we want her to win it all or just gain some experience and have her back on campus asap? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Good points. This should ease the transition from elite to college gymnastics. Most top elite gymnasts initially struggle with having fun and being joyful in college gymnastic. The dance experience should also help her since competing on floor in college consists of more "dance elements" rather than elite gymnastics which is more artistry. The whole experience should help her to "loosen up".

So do we want her to win it all or just gain some experience and have her back on campus asap? 😄

Oh, win it all being the competitor she is.  The fact she checked on the Iron Bowl of she completed the full competition tells you she is in it to win that mirror ball trophy.  Go Suni!

Oh and I'm not wasting my time with the whole show, just watching highlights after. 

Btw, Suni started an IG live session with Konnor during the Auburn/Penn State game. She was watching the game with a friend (in L.A.?). I did not watch the session (I was busy watching the game lol) but I read Konnor explained that 8-9 gymnasts would be invited to the upcoming selection camp for Worlds. This means realistic chances for OliviaG to be selected. So, Auburn gymnastics could potentially have another Sr. International Elite with World Championships experience on its team.

Edited by AUreo