Amazing how pedestrian and flustered a great QB can look

TitanTiger

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They're facts. Gus micromanaged every aspect of the offense. I know you might not have seen that reported by any sources you consider reputable and I understand your skepticism, but they're facts. 

He had 4 different OCs, and Nick Marshall was the only QB- out of 6, if you count JFIII- in 8 seasons who consistently played good football and got (a tiny bit) better. No surprise given that he was the first, he was a transfer, and he had the distinct advantage of being in an offense- staffed by talent that Chizik recruited, primarily experienced, stud offensive linemen the likes of which we haven't seen since- the league needed a minute to adjust to. 

Two key hires will tell you everything you need to know. First, Gus replaced Dameyune Craig- a guy who, for whatever flaws he has, was actually willing to challenge Gus and bring a different perspective to meetings- with Kodi Burns. Not sure if you're familiar with Kodi's resume at the time, but he was.... not Dameyune Craig. Second, look at what he did when Herb Hand- a former Gus associate- made a lateral move to get away from Gus. He went straight to JB Grimes. There were bonafide studs and hungry, young guys available but Gus didn't even consider them. He went straight back to his old buddy who had already been retired from Auburn once and who was ... not coaching high level football or showing promise as an energetic recruiter. To say the absolutely very leastest possible.

Plenty of other examples- Dillingham, even Morris and Caddy; not letting QBs work with private coaches until the last couple years- but you get the point. Gus didn't want other, new ideas introduced into his offense. He wanted to be surrounded by old friends and young guys with no voice. He wanted nothing but yes men on his offensive staff. It's all on him. All of it. 

I guess you mean “all of it”!

LOL

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

I guess you mean “all of it”!

LOL

If this was a polite way of saying I talk too much, guilty as charged. And thanks for being gentle about it. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If this was a polite way of saying I talk too much, guilty as charged. And thanks for being gentle about it. 

No, I thought it was funny the way you scripted it. I look for the humor in all things!

That was great.

Archived