Amazing how pedestrian and flustered a great QB can look

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

JJ had all the tools to be really good, but it seemed like it was in his headspace that he struggled. The half he played against Arkansas, I think, when Marshall was sitting out for disciplinary reasons was a thing of beauty.

I should've left JJ out of all the QB's but I've been around here long enough to remember the things said about him. Actually I can remember when people were literally rooting against him so to see what's going on now is very amusing

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cole256 said:

It would've taken a hail Mary to throw the ball to the endzone at the end of the game but he decided to run. I was curious as to how JJ couldn't do it

Maybe I missed what you guys were talking about. Neither have any issue throwing 50+ yards. 

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Here's another topic...

Anybody here just flat out doesn't like Bo and is rooting against him? Maybe you want to say "told you so", you can't stand his fans, or you just don't like the guy? Anybody here really want someone else to win the job next year?  I used to root against Cadillac a little bit b/c I wanted Brown to get all the carries.  I rooted against Gross a little and for Jeff Klein b/c he was nice to me at Kroger once.

I don't like hypocrites

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe I missed what you guys were talking about. Neither have any issue throwing 50+ yards. 

I'm talking about the play at the end of the game where he wouldn't throw the ball. Pretty much showing and countering reasons to bash one QB but protect the other

1 minute ago, DAG said:

They don’t want to see him fail, but in their fear or failure , they also display avoidant behaviors. No different than a dad who is coaching their son or a mother, who is follow up with a teacher during a conference. 

Anything wrong with that?  Sports is entertainment...storylines are captivating.  Rooting for a kid b/c you watched his dad beat some giants on the field is part of the richness of the game.  Sells a few more tickets.

Just now, cole256 said:

I'm talking about the play at the end of the game where he wouldn't throw the ball. Pretty much showing and countering reasons to bash one QB but protect the other

I'm lost. Who is "he" and what "game" are you referring to? 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I should've left JJ out of all the QB's but I've been around here long enough to remember the things said about him. Actually I can remember when people were literally rooting against him so to see what's going on now is very amusing

JJ had is own issues which was confidence in my opinion. He had all the tools and looks of an NFL type QB, but when that confidence is gone, it can really affect your game. Now, a guy who was criticize like no other was NM. I remember people literally righting him off , begging for JJ to be the QB. The love he gets now is very reactive.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Anything wrong with that?  Sports is entertainment...storylines are captivating.  Rooting for a kid b/c you watched his dad beat some giants on the field is part of the richness of the game.  Sells a few more tickets.

It’s wrong when you can’t objectivity have a discussion. Lack of objectivity is absolutely an issue and not just in sports.  You might have an appreciation for Tim Hardaway but if his son has a turnover problem , are you going to just excuse it because you once rooted for his father ? 

Just now, DAG said:

It’s wrong when you can’t objectivity have a discussion. Lack of objectivity is absolutely an issue and not just in sports. 

Maybe it's being a fan...irrational love for certain players and teams.  It's part of the sport...looking at things through O&B glasses, losing objectivity.  Is objectivity that important in the entertainment business?  It's important in politics, relationships, your work...but in sports and entertainment where the fan should find joy and fulfillment?

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't like hypocrites

Unfortunately, hypocrisy is sports.  Bama can commit a foul and it pisses me off b/c they're a bunch of cheaters that rig the game...they probably beat up puppies too.  Auburn can commit the same foul, and it was obviously an accident and the ref didn't make the right call.

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Anybody here just flat out doesn't like Bo and is rooting against him?

I haven't seen any of that. Have you?

Maybe you want to say "told you so", you can't stand his fans, or you just don't like the guy?

It's certainly frustrating when apologists for a particular player or coach can't discern between criticism of that person's performance and personal dislike. Even the word "bashing" gets thrown around inaccurately a lot. As in, most criticism is not "bashing", but it is very frequently mistaken as such if the reader doesn't care to hear that particular person criticized. 

Gus's critics have been accused of "hating" him and "bashing" him for years. Turns out he wasn't actually a good enough coach to remain employed here. So maybe they- we- were just offering objective criticism? And maybe that's what's going on here?

As for not being able to stand "his fans", again, it's not a personal issue. If you are "his fan" and you can't deal with him being criticized for his poor play, then I can still very much stand you, but I can't stand the way you approach that particular conversation. Same thing. It's about performance, not the person. 

Now, on the other hand, look at how people talk about Kevin Steele, Rodney Garner, and Travis Williams. They're spoken of as backstabbers and egomaniacs and in other ways that are strictly personal and have zero to do with their performance as coaches. That seems to be totally okay. And who knows, it might all be true. But if you want to talk about "dislike" and "bashing" and all that, that's what it looks like.

As for saying I told you so, no, I don't want to say that because I am still pulling for Auburn's quarterback to be as good as Bo Nix was predicted to be. Seems like Bo Nix gives us the best chance of that happening. But if he fails, I'll hope against hope that his apologists do a little soul-searching on why they were so defensive on his behalf and why they wanted him to succeed so badly over other quarterbacks on the roster.

Just to reiterate, none of this is exclusive to Bo Nix.

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Anybody here really want someone else to win the job next year?

Nope. I just want the best QB to win the job. We're all Auburn fans first and foremost, right?

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I used to root against Cadillac a little bit b/c I wanted Brown to get all the carries. 

You weren't the only one. And that happens every year. People wanted Mario Fannin to take Ben Tate's job. They wanted CAP to take Tre Mason's job. They wanted Pettway to take KJ's job. They wanted Whitlow to be a superstar. Seems like it's always the bigger back that people want taking all the carries. I swear, Auburn fans would've wanted Brandon Jacobs to start over Barry Sanders. I'm not exaggerating at all. 

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe it's being a fan...irrational love for certain players and teams.  It's part of the sport...looking at things through O&B glasses, losing objectivity.  Is objectivity that important in the entertainment business?  It's important in politics, relationships, your work...but in sports and entertainment where the fan should find joy and fulfillment?

I don't have a problem with that, but just because someone decides they are going to be a fan and play favorites they can't attack and get mad or shut down discussions, accurate discussions I might add,.because they don't want to hear it

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Unfortunately, hypocrisy is sports.  Bama can commit a foul and it pisses me off b/c they're a bunch of cheaters that rig the game...they probably beat up puppies too.  Auburn can commit the same foul, and it was obviously an accident and the ref didn't make the right call.

No that's personal. That's a decision you made within yourself

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah objectively is an important part of just individual engagement. I mean if you don’t want to be objective that is fine but I don’t know how you can have any rapport with any other sports fan if that is the case. I enjoy attending games and having conversations with others fans, who can at least have a realistic conversation. Like why would I engage with anyone who just says Cam Newton sucks because they might not like Auburn because of the 90s or who hates on Devonte Smith because they don’t like Nick Saban. That is absolutely corny behavior hahaha 

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Is objectivity that important in the entertainment business?  

Generally speaking, of course not, but if good faith discussions on a message board are the goal, then yeah I think so. 

30 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Here's another topic...

Anybody here just flat out doesn't like Bo and is rooting against him? Maybe you want to say "told you so", you can't stand his fans, or you just don't like the guy? 

I think so, some people still sour about Gatewood not getting the nod. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Generally speaking, of course not, but if good faith discussions on a message board are the goal, then yeah I think so. 

It's interesting, because the logic you're responding to seems to come from the exact same place as, "Well, athletes need to have thick skin because that just comes with the territory." 

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

I think so, some people still sour about Gatewood not getting the nod. 

I'm sour that he didn't get a shot in that Florida game. I'll never stop being sour about that. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

It's interesting, because the logic you're responding to seems to come from the exact same place as, "Well, athletes need to have thick skin because that just comes with the territory." 

Right , I think objectivity even in entertainment business is absolutely important . Unless , you want to be skip bay less, who I believe fakes it for ratings . But that also affects his relationships in the sport world too. There is a reason why Chris Broussard is welcomed in NBA circles 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well s***

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I'm sour that he didn't get a shot in that Florida game. I'll never stop being sour about that. 

I am too. Bo was rattled and should have been yanked.  Not calling you out, but just because JG didn't get a shot I'm not going to hold a grudge against Bo.

4 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I am too. Bo was rattled and should have been yanked.  Not calling you out, but just because JG didn't get a shot I'm not going to hold a grudge against Bo.

Nope. My grudge is reserved specifically for the man calling the shots that day. And for a whole lot of other shots he called. (Or even didn't call, in some cases.)

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right , I think objectivity even in entertainment business is absolutely important . Unless , you want to be skip bay less, who I believe fakes it for ratings . But that also affects his relationships in the sport world too. There is a reason why Chris Broussard is welcomed in NBA circles 

YES. More Chris Broussards. Less Baylesses. Less hot take culture. Can't stand it. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

YES. More Chris Broussards. Less Baylesses. Less hot take culture. Can't stand it. 

I honestly very rarely watch skip and Shannon. I listen to podcast or look at YouTube now for my entertainment purposes . For example look at Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson with all da smoke. They got a bag from showtime I believe because they have incredible guest , all due to their objectivity and built up relationships. I mean they had one of Kobe’s last interviews. Shannon has also went that route . 

Archived