Amazing how pedestrian and flustered a great QB can look

TitanTiger

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

To be fair there are a lot of people on here that also understand football really well...  Not me :lol: (when it comes to knowledge on your level), but there are others.  I think that might be a little too far to discredit everyone else on here.

Nope. Didn't you see? Not a single other person understands football enough to know what happened. Not one.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

To be fair there are a lot of people on here that also understand football really well...  Not me :lol: (when it comes to knowledge on your level), but there are others.  I think that might be a little too far to discredit everyone else on here.

I'm the only person that acknowledged other factors related to QBing or even offered an analysis as far as what went wrong with him. There hasn't been a QB given up on so quickly. As far as the conduct of this board when that happened nobody can speak on that like me because nobody took a different position like me and nobody received the wrath of it like me. Closest person that was there was @McLoofus and he didn't agree with me he just hated to see what I dealt with about it.

The better you are at seeing things the worst off you are because waaaaay back then I was saying Gus was trash at developing a qb. But now it's accepted and cool to say, so much so that now it's an excuse. Same with basketball. 

So yeah since I was by myself then getting so many hate messages that inbox was full and people wanting me kicked off the board, I'm going to just mention myself now.

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure I'm the only person that really understand football enough to see what happened with Johnson on this board

I'm not.

I've read through some of this thread and just cringe.  No matter which QB one preferred, no matter which is a perceived bust, no matter which struggled more, no matter which looked competitive or not, they all shared a common denominator, Gus and his scheme.  None of the QBs were ever recruited to Auburn the last 10 years ever came close to their potential. I don't put that on any of them. The failing wasn't finding or bringing  competent QBs, we did that. The failings were lack of development, lack of scheme adjustment, lack of OL recruiting and development.  The combination is what led to the struggles of our QBs and each QB had a different combination they had to deal with. All of that is bad coaching, not bad players. JMO

It's a new day, with two proven QB coaches. I hope the next QB thread is one of hope and praise based off of their hard work.

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Nope. Didn't you see? Not a single other person understands football enough to know what happened. Not one.

You are always around to say stuff after the fact. You are my point

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not.

I've read through some of this thread and just cringe.  No matter which QB one preferred, no matter which is a perceived bust, no matter which struggled more, no matter which looked competitive or not, they all shared two common denominators, Gus and his scheme.  None of the QBs were ever recruited to Auburn the last 10 years ever came close to their potential. I don't put that on any of them. The failing wasn't finding or bringing  competent QBs, we did that. The failings were lack of development, lack of scheme adjustment, lack of OL recruiting and development.  All of that is bad coaching, not bad players. JMO

Well I certainly remember being alone and it was full throttle to saying whatever about JJ and to meat that time. I mean some very wild stuff was said. Nobody told people to chill. As a matter of fact I think I was told to chill and I was defending a player 😂 but I don't care about all that.

All that isn't my point. That's just me responding to stupid stuff. And I even said that to make a point. When people say wild stuff about certain people it's funny. It's a joke. When people say stuff to back certain people it's absolutely ridiculous and frowned upon.

But when you do the exact reverse it can be ok.........But Im going to drop it make note and sit back and watch.

My overall point is when you try to push for stuff to be equal or fair you're going to upset some people and some people hate to see or hear it. That's all.

Cool. How about just stop responding to everything. The responses are very one sided. You say stupid stuff all the time you don't ever see me quote you with passive aggressive remarks. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Cool. How about just stop responding to everything. The responses are very one sided. You say stupid stuff all the time you don't ever see me quote you with passive aggressive remarks. 

I will respond to whatever I feel the need. If you can't handle a little feedback in good fun then don't make such arrogant claims.  I didn't quote you to begin with and you felt the need to make a stupid claim about me that isn't true. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All that isn't my point. That's just me responding to stupid stuff. And I even said that to make a point. When people say wild stuff about certain people it's funny. It's a joke. When people say stuff to back certain people it's absolutely ridiculous and frowned upon.

But when you do the exact reverse it can be ok.........But Im going to drop it make note and sit back and watch.

My overall point is when you try to push for stuff to be equal or fair you're going to upset some people and some people hate to see or hear it. That's all.

The problem I've seen over the years is there is almost no way to equate our QB play.  Each season there would be a new and baffling reason why they struggled, and each struggled in different ways. Bottom line, for me, is playing QB under Gus, in his offense, was never going to be anything but a struggle.  

Just now, bigbird said:

The problem I've seen over the years is there is almost no way to equate our QB play.  Each season there would be a new and baffling reason why they struggled, and each struggled in different ways. Bottom line, for me, is playing QB under Gus, in his offense, was never going to be anything but a struggle.  

Well said. Seemed like everyone had extreme struggles of one kind or another. Common denominator is Gus. I am so glad to see all our current and future Qbs get quality coaching.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The history surely supports this.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I certainly remember being alone and it was full throttle to saying whatever about JJ and to meat that time. I mean some very wild stuff was said. Nobody told people to chill. As a matter of fact I think I was told to chill and I was defending a player 😂 but I don't care about all that.

I was guilty to that. I thought, at the time, that JJ could use a week or two on the bench. Then again, I was one of the biggest SW supporters. Looking back, I now realize it really wouldn't have mattered who was playing the position. 

I hope the next QB thread is one of hope and praise based off of their hard work.

I try to splash all my critiques of past performance with hope. I hope more than anything to be able to praise QB1. 

Agree with everything you said. But it's a bit of a cycle in terms of the conversation. A lot of the things that keep being said about QB1 are kind of coaxed out from the other side. It's similar to the Gus conversation in that way. 

But I think we all agree that the QB position owes most of its failures and many fewer of its successes to the head coach the last, well, 12 seasons. If they didn't have it when they got here, they weren't going to get it here. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I try to splash all my critiques of past performance with hope. I hope more than anything to be able to praise QB1. 

Agree with everything you said. But it's a bit of a cycle in terms of the conversation. A lot of the things that keep being said about QB1 are kind of coaxed out from the other side. It's similar to the Gus conversation in that way. 

But I think we all agree that the QB position owes most of its failures and many fewer of its successes to the head coach the last, well, 12 seasons. If they didn't have it when they got here, they weren't going to get it here. 

Exactly, to me QB debates are futile.  Everyone has/had a favorite and none of them ever came close to fulfilling their supporter's perceived potential. That has led to a lot of misplaced frustration and animosity over the years.  I'm more than ready to turn this page.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I would absolutely love to just talk objectively about what we see on the field. That would be amazing

For all positions.  Let us not forget about how bad Neiko was in the eyes of almost everyone

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

For a positive piece of data the History with present HC and OC are just the opposite 

Exactly.  We finally have a reason for hope, not just unfounded hope

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I was guilty to that. I thought, at the time, that JJ could use a week or two on the bench. Then again, I was one of the biggest SW supporters. Looking back, I now realize it really wouldn't have mattered who was playing the position. 

Same.

I've disagreed with @cole256 about the extent to which JJ struggled, but I do think- and have hopefully said- that he could have succeeded under different circumstances. I think there's a little cult of us formed around the long pass to Jason Smith that got called back. (Might have altered the course of Smith's career, too!)

I think I'm getting off track now. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The way it went for me was my spider sense started tingling when he wouldn't let Marshall work with the NFL QB......then I noticed it was literally the same basic routes the wr ran all of the time.....looking from a db 's eyes you know? It was a big reason we lost to miss st that year I felt.

Then when the team running game was completely unprepared to start that season JJ was the starter I was like wtf. But what really made me be confident and I didn't doubt myself at all anymore was when I think it was a Texas a&m game JJ played and looked exactly like SW did the games he had played.....and I was certain it's the coaches. Then when sw struggled in his first "big" game SW looked like JJ did when he played a good defense. And to be that was a double confirmation

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Same.

I've disagreed with @cole256 about the extent to which JJ struggled, but I do think- and have hopefully said- that he could have succeeded under different circumstances. I think there's a little cult of us formed around the long pass to Jason Smith that got called back. (Might have altered the course of Smith's career, too!)

I think I'm getting off track now. 

This thread already resembles “ Moose Track “ ice cream. Goes everywhere but hard to stop eating.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

This thread already resembles “ Moose Track “ ice cream. Goes everywhere but hard to stop eating.

Dude. Your posts are the peanut butter cups. 

For all positions.  Let us not forget about how bad Neiko was in the eyes of almost everyone

I brought that up last night. I'm close to putting last year o line unit in the group as well. One bad game and it's that guy sucks. Nobody grades out 100% every game. If you do it's because the ball literally never comes your way then. Mistakes are going to be made. And sometimes it's not even that. You have guys lined up on the other side as you that are players. Especially at DB.

At db you can make the most AMAZING play to even almost break up a play that wasn't your fault. You are covering for a safety maybe and the fact you made it to the play was incredible......And he'll get ohhhh he was beat again? This guy is 🚮

Archived