2021 Softball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

It's not perfect but this is the best I can do posting the schedule...

The remainder of the 2021 non-conference schedule will be announced at a later date. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 Softball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

Article from 2/8/21.  Mainly a lot regurgitation of what you probably know.  He failed to mention Kaylee Horton who will be an important piece of our outfield and at the base.

For Auburn softball team, it's finally time to play again

By Phillip Marshall Feb 9, 6:21 PM

Alyssa Rivera leads Auburn's returning seniors. (Photo: Auburn University athletics)

AUBURN, Alabama – As Auburn’s softball team prepares to play for the first time almost a year, fourth-year coach Mickey Dean has made a promise to the team he says has more across-the-board talent than any he’s coached.

“My commitment for them is to coach every game like it’s the end of the season,” Dean said Tuesday. “If last year taught us anything, it is that we don’t know when the last game of the season is going to be. It doesn’t mean we’ll go through a pandemic, but as a player you don’t know. I’m going to coach every game if it’s the last game for the championship, and they need to show up that way.”

On March 11 last season, Alyssa Rivera’s home run lifted Auburn to a 2-1 victory over Georgia State. A day later, because of the burgeoning COVID-19 pandemic, the SEC suspended all spring sports. They were soon canceled. Students were sent home to do their studies online.

Rivera, Auburn’s leading hitter, thought her college career was over. But the NCAA granted all spring sports athletes another year of eligibility. Rivera, first baseman Justus Perry, outfielder Rachel Cook and third baseman Tannon Snow returned. Snow is out indefinitely because of a knee injury suffered in fall practice.

“It stung,” Rivera said. “You come back to a season like this one and you have a little chip on your shoulder. This is a year we can’t take for granted, because we are already blessed to have it back.”

Saturday, Rivera will be back on the field. Auburn opens its season with a doubleheader against Southeast Missouri State at Jane B. Moore Field. The first game starts at noon.

Auburn’s seniors were joined by a freshman class ranked as high as No. 2 nationally in recruiting rankings. Rivera said it’s easy to see why.

“I am on the field and building relationships with girls I used to know in camp and never thought I would play a season with them,” Rivera said. “It’s something cool. I’m playing with 17-year-olds. It’s so weird. I’m 23. They are like my babies. I love it. We honestly couldn’t ask for a better freshman class. They are amazing. “

Auburn’s opening-day lineup will feature a mixture of veterans and newcomers. Freshmen will play key roles in the field, at the plate and in the circle.

“We knew this was going to be a big year for us as far putting everything together,” Dean said. “We have everything we wanted in this class – pitching, speed, power. We tried to put together a class that would have a huge impact not just on this season but on this program for years to come.”

As is the norm in softball, Dean would not divulge a pitching rotation. But he said any of his five pitchers – freshmen Madison Penta and Shelby Lowe, sophomores Samantha Yarbrough and K.K. Dismukes and senior Lexie Handley – are ready for the call at any time.

“We are in a good position right now pitching-wise,” Dean said. “We are pretty deep. I think we have five young ladies that could go pitch anywhere. They are all very different from each other. The nice thing is they recognize that. As a pitcher, you want the ball and want to go all seven, but it’s a relief and a confidence-booster to know somebody always has your back.”

It will be up to the seniors – nine of them in all – to lead the way into a schedule that is still incomplete because of the pandemic. So far, Dean said, they have done just that.

“You never know what you are going to get,” Dean said. “To this point, they’ve shown really deep leadership. It used to be a group that would speak first and think second. Now they think about it. They have shown really good leadership. … We have a lot of experience. Our underclassmen are very good, but they have yet to experience their first season.”

With freshmen pushing hard, it was competitive fall and has been a competitive preseason. Players have eagerly bought into the competition.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Dean said. “You look forward to going to practice. You look forward to seeing them. We know we’re going to get great effort every day. They don’t have a choice. We are too deep at every position.  If you take a day off, somebody is going to step up and take your position. “

The roster by class:

FRESHMEN

Sydney Cox, UTL

Paige Geraghty, OF

Maddie Penta, RHP

Denver Bryant, INF

Reena Falisi, OF

Kelsey Schmidt, OF

Shelby Lowe, LHP

SOPHOMORES

Maddie Majors, OF/1B

Carlee McCondichie, INF

Maia Engelkes, INF

KK Dismukes RHP/1B

Maddison Koepke, INF

JUNIORS

Aspyn Godwin, C

Samantha Yarbrough, RHP

Haley Nillen, C

SENIORS

Jadia Jones, OF

Abby Tissier, C

Makenna Dowell, INF

Tyler King, OF

Lexie Handley, LHP

Kaylee Horton, OF

Rachel Cook, OF

Alyssa Rivera, OF

Justus Perry, 1B

Tannon Snow, 3B

--Cook, Rivera, Perry and Snow return for second senior seasons.

--All other players, including other seniors, will be eligible to return next season.

--Snow is out indefinitely,

Also there was a podcast yesterday (this week in Auburn softball) with some talk about pitchers but no indication of starters (typical).  Dean said he would talk to his pitchers on Friday and see who is feeling good....typical coach talk.  Said he liked his options:   two hard throwers (Handley and Penta)  two spin pitchers (Yarbrough and Lowe) and what he called a "down and side to side" pitcher (Dismukes).  He has a left or right option in the first two categories.  Felt he has quickness and strong arms in the field and need to minimize mental and physical mistakes. Continues to favor putting runners in motion.  

SEMO should be a very credible opponent.  In 2019 they were the OVC champion and appeared in the NCAA regional.  When the 2020 season was terminated, they had a record of 12 -5.  Here is a portion of the shortened 2020 season:

"The Redhawks short season lasted only 23 days, but they accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. SEMO led the OVC in slugging percentage (.528), on-base percentage (.411), triples (14), stolen bases (41), fewest hits allowed (84) and fewest earned runs allowed (40). The Redhawks also rated second in the league in batting average (.310), home runs (19), opposing batting average (.204), runs allowed (51), stolen bases per game (2.4) and triples per game (0.8). Nationally, SEMO was among the top 25 in triples per game (2nd), stolen bases per game (8th), scoring (16th, 6.7), slugging percentage (21st) and on-base percentage (24th)"

The current squad numbers 24 players with 3 seniors, 5 juniors, 5 sophomores, and 11 freshmen.  Fourteen are from instate.  They return 5 starters

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Website shows time change for games tomorrow to 2 and 430. 

Weather forecast has really shifted since I looked 24 hours ago and now indicates cloudy and mid - high 40's with wind 6 -7 mph.  Yesterday was indicating many hours of probable rain up to around 2 PM or so.  Not ideal but I'll take it for amid-February game.

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Weather forecast has really shifted since I looked 24 hours ago and now indicates cloudy and mid - high 40's with wind 6 -7 mph.  Yesterday was indicating many hours of probable rain up to around 2 PM or so.  Not ideal but I'll take it for amid-February game.

no doubt. It seems to change by the hour in some cases.   Regardless I'm really looking forward to the season getting started and watching today.  This team has a LOT of potential and will be fun watching all the pieces get put together. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

no doubt. It seems to change by the hour in some cases.   Regardless I'm really looking forward to the season getting started and watching today.  This team has a LOT of potential and will be fun watching all the pieces get put together. 

FWIW the weather channel has rain chances low the rest of the day in AU, between 6 & 9%.

Oklahoma finished the weekend in Tulsa with a 70-2 difference in runs scored.  I think they hungry lol. 

AU scheduled to play at Jacksonville Florida in the Osprey/Dolphin Invitational this weekend.  We play 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday (refer to schedule in OP). Two of our games are vs. South Carolina.  They have not played a game to date due to weather cancellations this past week end.  So far no TV listed except for final 2:30 game vs North Florida.  Apparently they have their own TV broadcasting capabilities which appears to be an elevated camera behind the plate view through some safety netting.  I looked a a small portion of one of the games from this past weekend.   You do get a full field view but of course it does have its limitations.  You should be able to link it from the AU Athletics Softball Schedule option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

AU scheduled to play at Jacksonville Florida in the Osprey/Dolphin Invitational this weekend.  We play 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday (refer to schedule in OP). Two of our games are vs. South Carolina.  They have not played a game to date due to weather cancellations this past week end.  So far no TV listed except for final 2:30 game vs North Florida.  Apparently they have their own TV broadcasting capabilities which appears to be an elevated camera behind the plate view through some safety netting.  I looked a a small portion of one of the games from this past weekend.   You do get a full field view but of course it does have its limitations.  You should be able to link it from the AU Athletics Softball Schedule option.

For @slot canyon and everyone, when you go to North Florida's website & scroll down a bit you see upcoming streams. Looks like both AU Saturday games are planned to be streamed on the UNF site. https://team1sports.com/unfospreys/?path=gen

• Thanks 3

On 2/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, ellitor said:

Per the AU site softball has added a game at Troy on Wednesday March 10th.

I'd love to play UAB to see Coach Veach!

On 2/15/2021 at 1:53 PM, ellitor said:

For @slot canyon and everyone, when you go to North Florida's website & scroll down a bit you see upcoming streams. Looks like both AU Saturday games are planned to be streamed on the UNF site. https://team1sports.com/unfospreys/?path=gen

Now looks like none of the tourney this weekend is set to be streamed. All the Saturday games that were listed to be streamed on the UNF site have been removed.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Now looks like none of the tourney this weekend is set to be streamed. All the Saturday games that were listed to be streamed on the UNF site have been removed.

Well that stinks. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also, the AU site shows the North Florida game on Saturday as "Canceled"

AUBURN, Ala. – Coming off a series sweep of Southeast Missouri State to open the 2021 season, Auburn softball (3-0) faces its first road test of the year as the Tigers travel to Jacksonville, Fla., to compete in the Osprey/Dolphin Invitational.  

The tournament is jointly hosted on the campuses of Jacksonville University and the University of North Florida.

"This weekend will help us really see where we're at before it becomes really crucial," said graduate student-athlete Justus Perry. "It'll show us where we need to improve and what we need to work on."

Auburn opens the tournament on Friday with a test against a Top 25 foe as the Tigers face No. 19 South Carolina in non-conference competition. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. CT. The Tigers return to the diamond at 5 p.m. CT to face Jacksonville (2-1). Friday's doubleheader slate will be played at the Debbie & Fred Pruitt Softball Complex on the campus of JU.

Auburn rounds out the tournament on Saturday with a rematch against the Gamecocks at 12 p.m. CT at the UNF Softball Complex. Due to a positive COVID test and subsequent contact tracing within the UNF program, Saturday's game against the Ospreys has been canceled.

"It's stout competition," said head coach Mickey Dean. "South Carolina is a team that is pretty strong offensively. They have power and speed throughout their lineup. We played Jacksonville last year. We know that they don't beat themselves."

Saturday's contest against the Gamecocks will be streamed through UNF All-Access and will be free to the public. Due to COVID protocols at the hosts institutions, this weekend's slate will not be aired on the Auburn Sports Network.

Spectators at both campuses will be limited to player guest pass lists.

Due to heavy rain expected in Jacksonville on Friday, fans are encouraged to visit AuburnTigers.com and follow Auburn Softball on its social media platforms for any additional changes to the weekend schedule.

LEADING OFF

• After opening the season with a series sweep over Southeastern Missouri State, Auburn will travel to Jacksonville for the Osprey Dolphin Invitational, hosted on the campuses of Jacksonville and North Florida. Outside the two tournament hosts, Auburn will also face SEC foe South Carolina in non-conference competition.
  • With a 3-0 record, the Tigers are off to their best start to a season since 2018. The Tigers won 15 straight games in Mickey Dean's first season on The Plains.
  • After tossing the 26th no-hitter in program history and now allowing a single earned run in her two victory over opening weekend, Maddie Penta was selected the SEC Co-Freshman of the Week.
  • Allowing just one earned run over opening weekend, Auburn ranks fourth in the country with a 0.37 earned run average. Maddie Penta is tied for the nation lead with her 0.00 ERA.
  • With a 3-for-3 performance on the base paths, freshman outfielder Makayla Packer ranks third in the SEC and sixth in all of Division I softball with a 1.00 stolen bases per game average.

ON DECK
Auburn returns to Jane B. Moore Field next weekend to host Jacksonville, Murray State and IUPUI in the Tiger Invite. Auburn opens the tournament Thursday, Feb. 25 against the Dolphins at 5 p.m. CT.
­­

Edited by slot canyon

Games today vs South Carolina (12 noon) and Jacksonville (5 PM) with high probability of some showers and temps in 50's.  No radio or tv coverage.  If you want to follow game will need to link "live stats" from AU Softball site.  Game tomorrow vs SC scheduled for 12 noon.  Clear but cooler.  Still listed as TV via UNF All Access which can be linked from AU Softball Schedule site.

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Games today vs South Carolina (12 noon) and Jacksonville (5 PM) with high probability of some showers and temps in 50's.  No radio or tv coverage.  If you want to follow game will need to link "live stats" from AU Softball site.  Game tomorrow vs SC scheduled for 12 noon.  Clear but cooler.  Still listed as TV via UNF All Access which can be linked from AU Softball Schedule site.

@slot canyon Today's games are now cancelled per the AU softball schedule page.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Schedule now indicates the cancelled games today now both shifted to tomorrow with SC start time 9 AM and Jacksonville game at 2 PM.  Then the second game with SC set for Sunday at 9 AM.  Refer to schedule link provided by ellitor above.  Now no indication of TV.